NCEL 09-10

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2009, 7:45 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 13 (2135 views)
Shortcut
NCEL 09-10 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mickleover promoted to NPL but nobody relegated in return, so only Eccleshill relegated from Prem. Scarboro & Rainworth promoted to Prem. No new teams in league for next season (for a change - big surprise), so Div. 1 only has 18 teams. Details from league website, TBC at AGM.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2009, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #2 of 13 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Mickleover promoted to NPL but nobody relegated in return, so only Eccleshill relegated from Prem. Scarboro & Rainworth promoted to Prem. No new teams in league for next season (for a change - big surprise), so Div. 1 only has 18 teams. Details from league website, TBC at AGM.

For reasons which defy logic, Brigg have remained in Unibond South (courteousy of Gresley) instead of going down to NCEL, where I suspect they would have struggled too. Easy points for everyone again next season, err, except Sheffield.....Wink

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Jamesie
Deleted

May 31, 2009, 7:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 13 (2115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or

It was a guarantee Eccleshill would get relegated... Brodsworth didn't finish bottom. Let me explain...

2007/08 - Broddy finished 13th - Glasshoughton bottom - Glasshoughton relegated.
2006/07 - Broddy finished bottom - no-one relegated
2005/06 - Broddy finished bottom - no-one relegated
2004/05 - Broddy finished 17th - Borrowash Victoria bottom - Borrowash relegated.
2003/04 - Broddy finished bottom - no-one relegated
2002/03 - Broddy finished 14th - Garforth Town bottom - Garforth relegated.

The last time Brodsworth didn't finish bottom and no-one got relegated was 2001/02. The moral? Don't finish below Brodsworth in the NCEL.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2009, 8:28 PM

Post #4 of 13 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What amazes me is that of the 15(!) teams that applied to join the league, not one of them was deemed suitable. And this from a league that in recent years has admitted Grimsby Boro, Askern & Appleby Crazy

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2009, 10:45 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #5 of 13 (2001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What amazes me is that of the 15(!) teams that applied to join the league, not one of them was deemed suitable. And this from a league that in recent years has admitted Grimsby Boro, Askern & Appleby Crazy

I'd love to know who the 15 were. Not any of those naughty CML clubs I trust...

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Jun 1, 2009, 4:04 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, there were some 'naughty' CML teams who applied, but they either withdrew following the CML's threat to shoot them at dawn on an empty stomach (or some other similar punishment) or failed to show they could achieve a G by 31.3.2010.

I was at the Ollerton Town v Forest Town match towards the end of the season, and understand that both had too much work to do to proceed with their applications.

It may be that the failure of clubs admitted last season to reach the required grade caused the league to take a once bitten twice shy approach.

JohnD
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 3, 2009, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Frickley

Post #7 of 13 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I hear Littletown might apply in the next few years. They've a tidy ground now and have just bought the freehold.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2009, 6:29 PM

Post #8 of 13 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnD] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They were a major force in the West Riding County Amateur league in the early 1980s- have fallen on hard times since then.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Jun 3, 2009, 7:18 PM

Post #9 of 13 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnD] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd read that Littletown had bought their ground from Huddersfield Town recently, as it was mentioned in the Huddersfield Examiner on April 18th.

The article stated that Littletown are believed to have paid around 25,000 (not sure where they acquired the funding for that !!!)

Apparantly, Huddersfield bought the Beck Lane ground in 1951 and 3 years later, the ground had floodlights (you can still see the old bases when you wander round the pitch). Its surprising that Huddersfield installed lights at a ground where their 3rd team played, whilst the Leeds Road ground didn't have lights until 1961?

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2009, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #10 of 13 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Manchester United first spotted Denis Law when he was playing at Littletown for Hudds Reserves - when I was at Uni, the News of the World (I have always been into the important newspapers) trailed their article for the coming week as 'When a football star was found on the playing fields of Heckmondwike', which led to much amusement among my Uni friends.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Jun 3, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, Beck Lane is famous for that Denis Law game you refer to, although according to the Hudds Examiner (who are they to challenge the accuracy of the News of the World !!), it was an FA Youth Cup 2nd round game from the 1956/7 season. It attracted a crowd of 2,000.

It's also famous for a marathon penalty shoot out a few seasons back, which was believed to be a world record but it turned out not to be, although it did attract a fair bit of media attention.

The attached link covers the main story but does not mention the famous youth cup tie.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/huddersfield-town-fc/huddersfield-town-news/2009/04/18/ray-wilson-and-les-massie-remember-beck-lane-after-littletown-buy-out-86081-23411560/

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2009, 8:55 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #12 of 13 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought the penalty shoot out was famous because the shoot out could not be completed due to the failed light - plenty of car headlights were insufficient to illuminate that goal

Jamesie
Deleted

Jun 3, 2009, 9:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 13 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] NCEL 09-10 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
It's also famous for a marathon penalty shoot out a few seasons back, which was believed to be a world record but it turned out not to be, although it did attract a fair bit of media attention.

I was at that one! Versus Storthes Hall if I remember correctly in the WRCAFL Prem Div Cup. By the end of the shoot-out the referee was asking for people to use their cars to light the goal area - even that proved futile. Totally ridiculous situation, but made for one helluva anecdote ever since.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3