http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/...e=FULL&nid=57759

Forester
Youth Team Star

May 15, 2009, 11:01 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 55 (3341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [toro] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not good news for Gloucester. Crowds already down due to having to play at Cirencester and this will massively affect the number of away fans that they attract due to the travelling distance. Never thought I would see the day where Gloucester would be considered to be in the 'North' of England.

tigerroar
Junior Team Regular

May 15, 2009, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Gloucester City

Post #3 of 55 (3253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forester] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Makes me wonder if it was worth getting promoted Frown

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 15, 2009, 12:13 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #4 of 55 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerroar] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At least it'll save you time on the M25 getting to places like Bromley, Welling & Thurrock.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

tigerroar
Junior Team Regular

May 15, 2009, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Gloucester City

Post #5 of 55 (3231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wish it would mate but chances are that as I work saturday am's I shall be missing a large chunk of the away games, and you know me, I never miss away games.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Star

May 15, 2009, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #6 of 55 (3190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What'll happen in a years time if - for instance, Eastbourne, Salisbury, Hayes & Yeading and Grays all got relegated - thus creating an even bigger bias towards the south at Step 2 than there is already.

Is this a sign that a north/south regional league isn't going to work long term? Maybe the old 3 division Step 2 we had prior to 2004 was the right option.

(This post was edited by Steve_HFC on May 15, 2009, 12:38 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 15, 2009, 12:56 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #7 of 55 (3148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's always a risk where where you split from 1 division into 2, and in relegating 4, the chances of it not being an exact 2:2 split are quite high; plus the current makeup at step 2 makes it more pronounced, because all the 'border' teams are already in the North division except Worcester. This would happen sometime wherever the 1:2 split is in the pyramid. On a lesser scale, it will also happen further down - proposed NPP relegatees seem to split 3-1 N:S and Goole already seem to be in the wrong (southern) half.

Given the rule on moving teams (not within 3 years without permission), I think they should have placed Kings Lynn in Conf Sth instead last year, because they were promoted and it fitted their previous area pretty well. Having been promoted into Conf Sth, they would still have been available to move into Conf Nth if required this year (had they sorted out their ground etc.). That's one reason why I am expecting Kings Lynn to be placed in the SLP - if they move Hednesford, they could have the same Worcester problem with Hednesford in a year's time at step 3.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (963) Silksmore Road Brocton 0-2 Lichfield City (9/11)
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
12/11 Hyde v FC United

trimmtrab
Reserve Team Star

May 15, 2009, 1:03 PM

Post #8 of 55 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have to agree, that the NPL/Southern/Isthmian was a more sensible arrangement. This can cost clubs fortunes in travel expenses and in the number of visiting fans.

No local derbies, no rivalries, all 'unknown' opposition, not an enticing prospect for Gloucester

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 15, 2009, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #9 of 55 (3102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trimmtrab] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Basically the "can't be moved again for three years" rule is utterly idiotic and should be scrapped.

It's an absolute nonsense that they can't move Worcester back north.

Makes you wonder who'd have been transferred had Farnborough won the play-offs! Crazy

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Last game: Stourbridge v Whitby 21/10/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

(This post was edited by DavetheGlassboy on May 15, 2009, 1:23 PM)

vienna1964
Deleted

May 15, 2009, 3:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 55 (2961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or

I am on the record as suggesting that Bishops Stortford could have possibly become a Conference North side - maybe two/three years back !

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

phil of Bath
First Team Regular

May 15, 2009, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Bath City

Post #11 of 55 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Basically the "can't be moved again for three years" rule is utterly idiotic and should be scrapped.

Makes you wonder who'd have been transferred had Farnborough won the play-offs! Crazy

Bath City are getting worried! Cirencester is only about 20 miles north of Bath. You are right; unless the leagues happen to strike lucky year after year, the north-south divide is going to shift ever further southward. We need conference Nat north and south (like the old Div 3 S & N)at Step 1, which would involve some semi-promotions for 26 lucky clubs from existing Conf N and S, then Step 2 would be Southern, Northern, Isthmian (if we have to) and a new Midland. Step 3 would be the lower divisions of the Southern (mid and South), Isthmian and NLP, but with a little more re-organisation to include the midlands clubs. Total number of clubs in this set-up (Steps 1-3) would be 48 + 88 + 88 = 224, only 2 more than the existing 24 + 44 + 66+ 88 = 222.

stourboy
First Team Star

May 15, 2009, 5:06 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #12 of 55 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well if a club never gets settled in a league it has a worse chance of promotion or progressive prospects.

But if they want to move then they should do so, but they shouldn't be made to in my view.

pokal02
First Team Star

May 15, 2009, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #13 of 55 (2779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is exactly why Step 2 should be scrapped. How can it be sensible for Blyth to travel to Cirencester in a 'regional' league? Re-name the ILP, NPLP and SLP 'Conference South East, North and Midlands & West' if you must!

northstandexile
First Team Star

May 15, 2009, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #14 of 55 (2699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All will come good when Chester will be bumped down to BSNorth and Woking will be reprieved. Wink

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 15, 2009, 8:02 PM

Post #15 of 55 (2685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phil of Bath] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Total number of clubs in this set-up (Steps 1-3) would be 48 + 88 + 88 = 224, only 2 more than the existing 24 + 44 + 66 + 88 = 222.

Not since 2004-05 has there been 88 at Step 4. The current setup is 24 + 44 + 66 + 129 = 263.

Acidhouse1988
Junior Team Sub

May 15, 2009, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Arsenal

Post #16 of 55 (2646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nowhere near as ridiculous as the ignoramus in charge of the league fixtures who sometimes has Wycombe Wanderers playing Exeter at bank holidays. There were very few teams in the whole of the 4th tier clearly FURTHER AWAY than Exeter! -( Darlington, Morecambe and about one more)

(This post was edited by Acidhouse1988 on May 15, 2009, 8:28 PM)

northstandexile
First Team Star

May 15, 2009, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #17 of 55 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Acidhouse1988] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nowhere near as ridiculous as the ignoramus in charge of the league fixtures who sometimes has Wycombe Wanderers playing Exeter at bank holidays. There were very few teams in the whole of the 4th tier clearly FURTHER AWAY than Exeter! -( Darlington, Morecambe and about one more)

However Wycombe were the third nearest neighbour to Exeter after Bournemouth and Aldershot. So somebody has got to play Exeter. Wink

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2009, 7:26 AM

Post #18 of 55 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well if a club never gets settled in a league it has a worse chance of promotion or progressive prospects.

I don't accept that. Whichever league they are in they will be up against teams of similar standard so their chances of promotion will be identical.

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2009, 7:28 AM

Post #19 of 55 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Acidhouse1988] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Personally, I'd prefer longer trips on Bank Holidays, if it wasn't for having to contend with increased traffic!

trimmtrab
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #20 of 55 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It took them many many years to reorganise things, I think there is more chance of Mossley winning the FA Cup than them reorganiing it again. I think the old system worked better but Im an old fart who dunt like bloody change

SeanM
Youth Team Star

May 16, 2009, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Manchester United (since before Beckham and Buffy!)

Post #21 of 55 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trimmtrab] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

(Apologies if already asked, .......)

Is there any law | reason | axiom that prevents Conf S running with 23 clubs, and Conf N with 21 ?

I understand that the number of matches would be somewhat disparate, but clubs in this step might be in Conf Premier in the future, with its 24 club manifest.

“And the sea will grant each man new hope . . . as sleep brings dreams of home.”
-- Christopher Columbus

"Welcome to the New World"
-- Jack Ryan

dave
First Team Star

May 16, 2009, 3:55 PM

Post #22 of 55 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanM] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes there will be some long journeys, which will probably be played on Saturdays on dates that DON'T clash with FA Trophy, or FA Cup, plus there is only a few long journeys each season. Most typical journeys would be to the Manchester area, and to the Midlands.

As for the numbers in each league, I'm against having odd numbers. I've nothing against having 20 and 24 teams in a league, but please not 23 and 21.

As for the old system, surely people remember the point of having conference north, and conference south, it was to have less regional leagues compared to the old Isthmian, Northern and Southern Leagues. Especially for those clubs around London.

(This post was edited by dave on May 16, 2009, 3:57 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2009, 5:06 PM

Post #23 of 55 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phil of Bath] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bath City are getting worried! Cirencester is only about 20 miles north of Bath. You are right; unless the leagues happen to strike lucky year after year, the north-south divide is going to shift ever further southward. We need conference Nat north and south (like the old Div 3 S & N)at Step 1, which would involve some semi-promotions for 26 lucky clubs from existing Conf N and S, then Step 2 would be Southern, Northern, Isthmian (if we have to) and a new Midland. Step 3 would be the lower divisions of the Southern (mid and South), Isthmian and NLP, but with a little more re-organisation to include the midlands clubs. Total number of clubs in this set-up (Steps 1-3) would be 48 + 88 + 88 = 224, only 2 more than the existing 24 + 44 + 66+ 88 = 222.

Sorry Phil, but this situation has a potential to happen at any point where 2 leagues feed into one. Reorganising to move the level up 1 is a bit extreme IMO!

I'm with dave re 21/23 team leagues, fine if it's 20/24. Mind you, I must have missed the rationale for Conf Nth/Sth, I thought it was just Conference empire building? Crazy

On the agenda:
12/11 Hyde v FC United

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on May 16, 2009, 5:08 PM)

phil of Bath
First Team Regular

May 16, 2009, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Bath City

Post #24 of 55 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Gloucester Go North? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sorry Phil, but this situation has a potential to happen at any point where 2 leagues feed into one. Reorganising to move the level up 1 is a bit extreme IMO!

I'm with dave re 21/23 team leagues, fine if it's 20/24. Mind you, I must have missed the rationale for Conf Nth/Sth, I thought it was just Conference empire building? Crazy

But it's not 2 leagues feeding into one, is it? It's 3 leagues feeding into 2; 2 southern leagues and one northern feeding into 1 supposedly northern and 1 supposedly southern.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2009, 8:03 PM

Post #25 of 55 (2018 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

But it's not 2 leagues feeding into one, is it? It's 3 leagues feeding into 2; 2 southern leagues and one northern feeding into 1 supposedly northern and 1 supposedly southern.

It's not the feeding up that is the problem, it's the coming down....

On the agenda:
12/11 Hyde v FC United

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3