Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Aston Villa - what's the point.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 4, 2009, 10:23 PM

Post #26 of 45 (5577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Happy birthday. Would have give you a big sloppy one tonight but game looks iffy.
Will p/m soon when I find out and post.

Are you saying that Modelhobbies (the "game") looks iffy? Wink

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

KnowYourMarket

Mar 5, 2009, 10:42 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #27 of 45 (5552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm hoping soShocked

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Veteran

Mar 5, 2009, 11:58 AM

Post #28 of 45 (5544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or

If you are really "game" thank your lucky stars you are out of season or somebody may take a pot shot at you.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 5, 2009, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #29 of 45 (5539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One of the main issues for me is the duplicity in use. Fans, TV companies and viewers, advertisers...........all conned by these clubs to some degree or another.
Would Villa Park have been filled by 38,000 fans and would ITV (or whoever) have paid to cover the game had they known that, actually, Villa's management didn't give a toss about the toe overall ?

And is it complete coincidence that Villa have started to wobble after their exits from the FA and UEFA Cups ?Winning is a wonderful habit - great for fans, great for players. Throw a couple of defeats (even self-inflicted defeats) into the mix and the whole confidence bubble is pierced and that CL place looks a tad less secure that when they were occupying themselves on all fronts.

And why don't Bolton, Blackburn,Reading and whoever else - if the cap fits - announce NOW that they have no intention of competing for next season's FA/Carling Cups so that the diminshing number of fans who attend the cup games at least know in advance that they're likely to see a contest when they pay their hard-earned.

Back to my original point. Winning breeds winning. Likewise with not winning - since the dithering over whether or not to try and win games has come into the equation, they have stopped winning at all.
The sad thing is that, Blues and Baggies fans apart, most neutrals would have wanted Villa to break the top four monopoly. That goodwill ain't there now !

Grecian
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 5, 2009, 5:38 PM

Team(s): Exeter City, Bath City, Alphington, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #30 of 45 (5510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spurs, on the other hand, just thumped 4 past a 'boro side who only a few days earlier had beaten Liverpool 2-0... doesn't really prove anything does it? - Villa could have easily come away with those same two latest results had they won in Europe. Just as it can't be foreseen in advance whether teams will or won't win matches, it also can't be proved that results would have been different had different courses of action been taken in the first place. Otherwise, one could just as validly say that Villa might win later matches which they wouldn't have done had they stayed in Europe... and as for teams fielding weaker or youth sides - surely Aresnal are one of the biggest culprets, so I would have thought most neutrals would still prefer Villa to finish above them this season.

dave
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2009, 10:25 PM

Post #31 of 45 (5477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Grecian] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No one knows what would or wouldn't have happened. What has happened though is that Villa are now out of the UEFA Cup. If they don't finish in the top 4 there will be questions asked to Martin O'Neill about why they threw a UEFA Cup place away, and then failed to get into the champions league, whether Villa like it or not, thats the way they have now managed to set their whole season up.

villahopper
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2009, 8:48 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #32 of 45 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dave] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OI YOU LOT KEEP YOUR NOSES OUT OF OUR BUSINESS Sly

Well as you can see by my name I have a vested interest here.

Right where shall I start

I went to Hamburg in the group stages only to find out we were playing a reserve side as we had already qualified. As you can imagine I was a bit peeved by this but hey ho it was still a very enjoyable trip and I could see the argument as there was nothing to be gained by winning the game.
I was looking into going to Moscow but didnt go due to cost and inconvenience of getting visas and such like. But as Moscow is a city I want to visit I did look into it. If I had gone I would have been as mad as a box of frogs.I went to the first leg and felt we still had a chance of winning the tie.
In 20 years when I have my grandson on my knee in whatever institution I am residing in and I am telling him all about following one of the finest football institutions anywhere on this planet I feel sure that talking about a UEFA cup final in Istanbul will be far more memorable than maybe finishing 4th in the league.
But I am a fan and people in football do not see it the same way as I do.
I dont want my team to throw away the chance of nights like that for the chance of qualifying for the chance to get knocked out before we even get to the group stage of the Chumpions League.
What I want is my team to play 100% in every game and every compitition we play in. Just as I give 100% every time I pay money to them for tickets.
This episode has left a sour taste in my mouth and part of me hopes we finish in a EUFA cup spot next season (well I think we will anyway but thats another story)
Since the Moscow game we have played Stoke 2-2 although to be fair we dominated that game and should have won, and Man City 0-2 I feel the wheels are coming off in spectacular fashion. Coincidence ? Who knows, maybe it is.
Trouble is I am from a generation that wants glory over money. I would rather have gone to The UEFA cup final in Istanbul over finishing 4th anyday of the week. But what do I know...I am only a fan

UKPunk

Mar 8, 2009, 12:23 AM

Post #33 of 45 (5388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Trouble is I am from a generation that wants glory over money. I would rather have gone to The UEFA cup final in Istanbul over finishing 4th anyday of the week. But what do I know...I am only a fan

Precisely! But if the way that money is distributed between the UEFA Cup and the Champions League was altered to give an increased reward to the UEFA Cup entrants, maybe clubs would take the competition more seriously. Whether we like it or not (and I for one don't), the only way the likes of Villa are going to compete with the franchise clubs is to match their spending. And that can only be done by the accumulation of wealth generated by playing regularly in the Champions League.

By the way, I for one hope either Villa or Everton (and preferably both) finish in the top four.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy

Mar 3, 2011, 2:01 PM

Post #34 of 45 (5177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Villaboys - are you fuming this morning or what ?

A few days after your hated local rivals grab the headlines, Citizen Camembert decides to throw in the towel on this years FA Cup, with an eminently winnable QF at home to Reading as the prize.

What's going on? Have you now joined the Blackburns of this world whose only aim is to have another shite season each year but still stay up and sod the cups. I bet the fans who travelled to Eastlands were impressed when they saw the line-up.

O'Neill never recovered from doing the same in Moscow when there was a winnable cup on offer. Is this the beginning of the end for Monsieur Clouless ?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2011, 3:25 PM

Post #35 of 45 (5161 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Is this the beginning of the end for Monsieur Clouless ?

I hope not - the longer he stays the better I think. We can't have the Seals striving to qualify for Europe again and then treating the competition with contempt.

Isaac

Mar 3, 2011, 3:46 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #36 of 45 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Villa fans on radio phone ins were comparing last nights surrender to what Martin O'Neill did in Moscow.

Man City haven't exactly been pulling up any trees lately and I'd have fancied a full strength Villa side to get at least a draw, any bets on who will replace 'Citizen Camembert'?

villahopper
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2011, 9:10 AM

Post #37 of 45 (5105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well well Buncranaboy in another Villa baiting post. Who would have thought it !
OK OK we beat you 5-1 in 1977 come on, let go already, it was 34 years ago !!

buncranaboy

Mar 4, 2011, 12:40 PM

Post #38 of 45 (5079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well well Buncranaboy in another Villa baiting post. Who would have thought it !
OK OK we beat you 5-1 in 1977 come on, let go already, it was 34 years ago !!

Does that mean you don't have an issue with raising the white flag and deceiving travelling fans once again? If Liverpool did that at this stage of the FA Cup with Reading at home to follow, I'd be well miffed. And, yes, I know Reading won at Anfield in the Cup last season Crazy so it's not quite a gimme, but really..........

5-1 at half-time! Still traumatised Tongue

villahopper
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2011, 8:21 PM

Post #39 of 45 (5027 views)
Shortcut

Well I could understand your ire a bit more if we were the only club resting players for Cup Ties. You only have to look at the team that played Blackburn the round before to know that we haven't exactly been using a full strength team in cups this season. And I really don't get the whole thing about travelling fans feeling let down either. when I go to see Villa I go to see the team play. What individual players happen to be playing is, in my eyes, irrelevant. If we only went to games we thought we might win then our away following would be rather small !

buncranaboy

Feb 14, 2017, 11:01 PM

Post #40 of 45 (4100 views)
Shortcut

Fury and disbelief at Villa Park - the Heroes & Villains forum is most entertaining tonight.

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/

villahopper
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2017, 8:07 AM

Post #41 of 45 (4047 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Fury and disbelief at Villa Park - the Heroes & Villains forum is most entertaining tonight.

I hear Division 3 is lovely this time of the year

windydcfc

Feb 15, 2017, 9:43 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #42 of 45 (4019 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I hear Division 3 is lovely this time of the year

This made me laughLaugh
http://thebirminghampress.com/2017/02/the-historymen/

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2017, 1:51 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #43 of 45 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Villa fans will be thinking back to thee fond memories of the 1970-71 & 1971-72 seasons, probably only because they reached the League Cup final in 1971.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

buncranaboy

Feb 15, 2017, 8:45 PM

Post #44 of 45 (3870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Aston Villa - what's the point. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I liked this post from the "Valentine's Day Massacre" thread on Heroes and Villains

I think we should ban those you tube player montages from now on as they are all clearly fabricated. Hogan is a player from the festival league isn't he? Hourihane has never set foot in Yorkshire let alone Barnsley. The Icelandic chap mended fishing nets before he came to us and the keeper is a paint Sales Rep.

I'm sick to death of all our new signings being constantly so shit as soon as they put the shirt on.

jrev61

Feb 17, 2017, 4:17 PM

Team(s): None

Post #45 of 45 (3720 views)
Shortcut

Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Aston Villa - what's a point?,

jrev61

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3