INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
My radicalist idea to sort out non-league football

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2009, 2:54 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #1 of 4 (2826 views)
Shortcut
My radicalist idea to sort out non-league football Can't Post or

My first plan would be to redirect the millions spent on ground grading, assessors wages and all the time and instead I'd pump millions in Cornish, Devon, extreme North (Whitehaven, Penrith) and into Somerset football. Give each side at Step 6 a 30,000 grant. This is only 7.2m by my accounts.

I would reduce the number of Step 5 leagues to 10 and this is how I'd do it:

I'd have the Northern League and NCEL merge. I'd push the NCEL southern boundary to around Wakefield and allow Penrith and Whitehaven to move West. The Northern Counties League

That is 1 league at Step 5. Then get the NWCFL and push the southern boundary to Manchester. Creating the NWCFL.

Thats another Step 5 league. I'd then take NCEL sides from below Wakefield and the Southerly sides from the NWCFL and add them together with a few from the Midland Alliance. This is a 3rd. Midland League

A 4th would involve the United Counties and Eastern Counties more Northern sides to merge. Central East League

A 5th would involve the rest of the Midland Alliance to mix with a few from the Hellenic League. Central West League

Number 6, Kent and Essex Senior to merge. Then have a North / South division. South East League

Number 7, Spartan South Midlands and Combined Counties to merge. Then have a North / South division. Northern Sussex County League sides to join. Central South East League

Number 8, the Western League to mix with some Wessex League clubs. South West League

Number 9, the more Northern Western League clubs to join with other half of Hellenic League sides. Central South West League

Number 10, rest of Wessex League to merge with remaining Sussex County League Sides. South Coast League

This is another controversial bit, keep the Conference. Then get Step 2 and split it into 3, Northern, Stafford and further North. South East, line from Hinckley to Boston and line from Hinckley to Southampton. South West, effectively the M5 league, any sides South of Stafford, west of Hinckley and west of Southampton. I'd have 16 to 18 sides. Thats 30 to 34 games. League's split into Quarters. Allow top side up and 3 via play-offs. I'd make the League Two and Conference 3 up 3 down. This would make the pyramid system flow and be more exciting. Terrible League Two sides could be South East Conference clubs within no time.

Step 3 I'd make it 6 leagues. Northern West Counties League and Northern East Counties League. M1 and M6 as trunk roads. I'd retain the Stafford and Hinckley borderlines. Pennine's clubs to decide affliation themselves. Western Counties League, Stafford to Bristol area. South of that and its South West Counties League. Boston to Hinckley to Oxford to Colchester, any side in that area is an East Anglian League team. The rest, Southern League.

Step 4, same as above but as a Division One.

That 26 leagues from Step 1 to Step 5. At present we have 26. My system in my opinion would be better as I'd scrap ground grading except at Conference level. 3000 capacity, 500 seats, basic rule. I'd pump millions in Cornish, Devon and Somerset football. Give each side at Step 6 a 30,000 grant.

Step 6, I'd let be like the Step 7 as of now. Divide it even further, just promote South West football and hope we could get a South West side up the system and towards the Football League

Many will disagree on travelling, league names wouldn't be like that. Just regional names as of present to make it clear.

Tom

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Feb 1, 2009, 3:28 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] My radicalist idea to sort out non-league football [In reply to] Can't Post or

Would that mean we get to play Clevedon 42 times each season?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Grecian
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 1, 2009, 4:54 PM

Team(s): Exeter City, Bath City, Alphington, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #3 of 4 (2774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] My radicalist idea to sort out non-league football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been quite amused in the last few weeks by the number of suggestions involving restructuring the current Conf N and Conf S (step 2) into three leagues...

What goes around, comes around...

T P
Youth Team Star

Feb 1, 2009, 7:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 4 (2723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] My radicalist idea to sort out non-league football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This is another controversial bit, keep the Conference. Then get Step 2 and split it into 3, Northern, Stafford and further North. South East, line from Hinckley to Boston and line from Hinckley to Southampton. South West, effectively the M5 league, any sides South of Stafford, west of Hinckley and west of Southampton. I'd have 16 to 18 sides. Thats 30 to 34 games. League's split into Quarters. Allow top side up and 3 via play-offs. I'd make the League Two and Conference 3 up 3 down. This would make the pyramid system flow and be more exciting. Terrible League Two sides could be South East Conference clubs within no time.

I wouldn't say that any of the teams in League 2 are "terrible". All of them seem to be there purely on merit. Since the two up two down system was introduced, all the seemingly deadwood has been removed and/or revitalised. Some people regard the likes of Barnet, Chester, Accrington to name a few as terrible league 2 teams. However all of them managed to get promoted up to the division, and even though they don't set the division alight, there worthy enough to be there.
Someone suggested promoting the top 8 from the conference to replace the bottom 8 in league 2. What would be the point? The ones which will be relegated will only be pushing to come back up again. And the conference sides which will be promoted, the majority won't do anything which will really take the football league by storm.

As for the rest of your proposal, there are several major flaws.

1). The main problem with it is numbers. Where would the teams come from to make 6 step 3's or 3 step 2's?

2). By completely losing ground grading standards up to the conference, there is the potential for teams to completely make a mockery of the system by getting up to step 2 on the pitch, but by not improving facilities and then blocking teams behind them from going up, which have far better facilities and are almost equivalent on the pitch.

3). By having 10 step 5 leagues, would also call for a lot more to be paid out in travelling expenses. This is not what is needed in these times!

4). pumping money to teams on the outskirts would have thousands of teams complaining that they are not getting a piece of the pie.

5). Even with grants, many teams are not willing to move up the pyramid in the remoter regions because they cannot find players willing to travel hundreds of miles every weekend

6). Whats to stop a team blowing there grant on players for a couple of years of glory?

7). Obtaining grants at step 7 seems to be a lot more of an issue then grants at step 6

To be honest no matter how much money is pumped into an area, it will all come down to the long term future. Its all good at first but the FA will not continue investing millions in an area, meaning that it will have a similar effect to the coming and going of a sugar daddy.

T P

(This post was edited by T P on Feb 1, 2009, 7:05 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3