Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bspittles
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 31, 2009, 10:57 AM

Team(s): Leek Town, Oxford United

Post #51 of 58 (2251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Generally, footballers contracts are paid weekly or monthly, regardless of the number of matches played, where as the club's income depends mainly on the number of match days they have.

I think that, below the Conference North/South, most players will be non-contract, i.e. paid as they play. I don't know how it works at other clubs, but last season at Leek Town the money was paid out as follows:

No game during a week means no money (but players still expected to train).
One game in a week means money (as agreed on an individual basis) for all those named in the squad (including non-playing subs).
Two games in a week means half the money for all those named in each squad (therefore a player named in both squads would get his full amount).

All payments are made at training the following week, to encourage attendance!

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 31, 2009, 11:12 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #52 of 58 (2243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bspittles] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think contracted players exist at the majority of clubs down to Step 4, (by which I mean all FA Trophy level clubs). In a competitive environment, it is not easy for clubs to stop paying, or even reduce the wages as they know. The point being that the budgets have been set with a basis of 50-60 games a season - 42 league matches plus a hat full of various cups

The main difference abroad is that semi-professional wages are smaller. The clubs have budgetted for 30 league games, plus far fewer cup games. In Belgium and the Netherlands, there seems to be a greater proportion of income from sponsorship, but not in France.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

bspittles
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 31, 2009, 11:18 AM

Team(s): Leek Town, Oxford United

Post #53 of 58 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think a club would budget for any income from away games, and a club that budgets for income from cup games is being a little foolish IMO!

You're right that contracted players exist in the lower reaches - Newcastle Town have SEVEN on their books Shocked - but I would say the majority of players below the Conference are non-contracted.

If other clubs do use the same system as Leek Town, it means they gain financially (apart from cash flow problems) from postponed games.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 31, 2009, 11:38 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #54 of 58 (2233 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think contracted players exist at the majority of clubs down to Step 4, (by which I mean all FA Trophy level clubs). In a competitive environment, it is not easy for clubs to stop paying, or even reduce the wages as they know. The point being that the budgets have been set with a basis of 50-60 games a season - 42 league matches plus a hat full of various cups

The main difference abroad is that semi-professional wages are smaller. The clubs have budgetted for 30 league games, plus far fewer cup games. In Belgium and the Netherlands, there seems to be a greater proportion of income from sponsorship, but not in France.

And isn't that exactly what we should be looking for in this country. You make it sound that having to rely on potential cup runs and 42 league games is the correct model. I suggest that in 2009, it patently is not - the clubs are not making it work and people are not turning up often enough (not surprisingly given the charges being levied) to make it work either.
Fewer teams in more regionalised divisions; fewer pointless games, less cash for the punter to lay out on a week-by-week basis, lower wages, more realistic ground demands and who knows - maybe more people would come through the turnstiles per match.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 31, 2009, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #55 of 58 (2221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If every team could commit to reducing wages by 20% at a stroke, and together, then this would be a good iea
But these is always one team willing to pay more, and then the others will pay to keep up.

From a selfish point of view, and this effects many English groundhoppers, it is the fourty league games, plus cups that keeps the groundhoppers' calendars full.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2009, 1:07 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #56 of 58 (2133 views)
Shortcut

Replacing League games with an extra Cup competition is rarely good for club finances, because, as other threads acknowledge, many teams do not treat League Cups seriously and there may be revenue sharing in League Cups.

I do feel the wages in non-League football here are over the top. Actually teams like Cammell Laird seem to be competing pretty well on not paying players and the credit crunch may also force a few more into more realistic budgeting (at all levels). Perhaps leading on cutting wages could see a similar cut at others over the longer term. That would be no bad thing at all though.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
12/10 FC UNited v Buxton
15/10 FC United v Basford United
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

Post #57 of 58 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or

Division One Teams Seeking Premier Division Promotion - 1st February

Clubs that are looking to gain promotion to the Premier Division at the end of the current season are reminded that the FA has relaxed the requirements to some extent, in that clubs will have a further season after gaining promotion, to attain the full grade F, deadline i.e. by 31 March 2010.

HOWEVER, clubs are unlikely to be able to go up unless, by 31 March 2009, they have all the requirements of the present grade for their level of football, Grade G. The requirements for Grade G have still to be totally finalised by the FA, so for the time being the Hellenic League has to rely upon the current version as outlined in the Competition Regulation & Directives for Clubs and Match Officials handbook pages 19 to 24.

This is not new information but with time running out, it is timely to remind clubs of the situation. Two clubs have already indicated a wish to be considered for promotion should they attain a promotion position, however, there are more who could be considered. An early indication to the League Office from clubs who wish to be considered for promotion would be appreciated.

From Hellenic League website

David (BAFC)
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 2, 2009, 11:22 PM

Post #58 of 58 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Step 5 ground gradings will be implemented in April [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If the majority of clubs in a Step 5 league have still not managed to get their grounds up to the required standard by the deadline, what's the likelyhood of the FA demoting that league to Step 6?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3