Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
NWC Promotion

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 1:45 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3497 views)
Shortcut
NWC Promotion Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would anyone be able to clarify my muddled thinking please.

Last Saturday I was at Newcastle Town and spent some time chatting with a North West Counties League management committee member. We spoke about Newcastle's chances of being promoted to the Unibond and I was told it was doubtful as Fylde would win the league.

My memory tells me that at the beginning of the season it was agreed that the NWCFL would release only one club at the end of 2008/09 UNLESS a club was relegated to them (presumably Salford City) whereas two could go up.

Has this changed?

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 26, 2009, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #2 of 8 (3481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Would anyone be able to clarify my muddled thinking please.

Last Saturday I was at Newcastle Town and spent some time chatting with a North West Counties League management committee member. We spoke about Newcastle's chances of being promoted to the Unibond and I was told it was doubtful as Fylde would win the league.

My memory tells me that at the beginning of the season it was agreed that the NWCFL would release only one club at the end of 2008/09 UNLESS a club was relegated to them (presumably Salford City) whereas two could go up.

Has this changed?

No that was the season before. That season the NWCL would only release second placed Salford City (as well as the Champions Trafford) is they recieved a club in return. Alsager Town were then, coincidentally booted out of the Unibond League, back to the NWCL, clearing the way for Salford City to go up (and have a disasterous season).

Only the Champions (or second placed side) will go up this season hence why newcastle Town don't appear to have a hope in hell of promotion this season as AFC Fylde have applied and are running away with it!

afcliverpoolred
Youth Team Sub

Jan 27, 2009, 2:46 AM

Team(s): Liverpool, AFC Liverpool,

Post #3 of 8 (3366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If it is a straight one up one down swap between the Unibond and the NWCLP, what is the expected promotion / relegation between the NWCLP and first divisions.

One or two down, one or two up ??

At present (27/1) this would mean Atherton Colls & Colne being relegated and AFC Liverpool & Bootle promoted.

Plus with Barnoldswick Town of the West Lancashire League and Runcorn Town from the West Cheshire League applying to join the NWCL you would have 20 teams (instead of the present 18) in the first division and still maintaining the 22 teams in the premier division.

http://afcliverpool.org.uk/go/

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 27, 2009, 9:24 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #4 of 8 (3327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afcliverpoolred] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If it is a straight one up one down swap between the Unibond and the NWCLP, what is the expected promotion / relegation between the NWCLP and first divisions.

One or two down, one or two up ??

At present (27/1) this would mean Atherton Colls & Colne being relegated and AFC Liverpool & Bootle promoted.

Plus with Barnoldswick Town of the West Lancashire League and Runcorn Town from the West Cheshire League applying to join the NWCL you would have 20 teams (instead of the present 18) in the first division and still maintaining the 22 teams in the premier division.

I believe the NWCL have a Two Up/Two Down policy between the Premier and First Division. Due to the size of the divisions it really ought to be 3 up/three down. They promoted 3 last season (Ashton Athletic going up from 3rd instead of Stone Dominoes being reprieved) so they may well change to 3 up/3 down for this season. Would make more sense and decrease the chances of a someone being jammy and staying in a division they shouldnt really be in and stopping the full annual "refreshment" that promotion and relegation brings to a league.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2009, 4:32 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its still two up , two down - in theory at least!
I don't think there are any plans to make it three up three down.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

Tudor
Junior Team Star

Jan 27, 2009, 4:59 PM

Team(s): FC Halifax Town

Post #6 of 8 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apologies if I've not read this thread properly but where are the two Unibond divisions going to get their extra clubs from to make them 22-club divisions if it is only one-up one-down from the NWC? What's the situation with the NCEL? I don't suppose there's much hope of the Northern League providing one club, let alone two.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 27, 2009, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #7 of 8 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tudor] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Apologies if I've not read this thread properly but where are the two Unibond divisions going to get their extra clubs from to make them 22-club divisions if it is only one-up one-down from the NWC? What's the situation with the NCEL? I don't suppose there's much hope of the Northern League providing one club, let alone two.

One up and one down for NCEL and NWC.
The other three hopefully Market Drayton.
Outside chance Dunston Federation.
Even more outside Deeping Rangers( i think they applied).
Move Chasetown. Who knows.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Jan 27, 2009, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #8 of 8 (3167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] NWC Promotion [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

One up and one down for NCEL and NWC.
The other three hopefully Market Drayton.
Outside chance Dunston Federation.
Even more outside Deeping Rangers( i think they applied).
Move Chasetown. Who knows.

The tea leaves at the FA?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3