Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Unibond 'Midland' in 2009?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hunter
Youth Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Gresley FC (ex Rovers), Everton, CA Huracan (Buenos Aires), Coventry Bees.

Post #1 of 50 (8217 views)
Shortcut
Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the moment the midlands are served by two leagues at Step 4. However, only the Southern League uses the 'midland' title. I Put the case forward on Willenhall's forum that the simple fact that these choices of league names can give a mis-leading impression of travelling. This in turn, may affect the ability of clubs such as their's from signing players who obviously will consider distances, especially for night games.

A look at the first of Tony's possible step 4 maps shows that Unibond South could contain 16 midland sides, 4 central/ south Lincs, Sheffield (who play in Derbyshire) and only Witton truly in the north.

Over in the Southern league, the northern of the two feeders has only 7 firmly midlands clubs, plus 5 in Gloucestershire. I'm never sure whether that county is midland or south-west or neither!

Tony's second option still supports the idea that the unibond should use the word midland if the southern is prepared to do so for it's feeder.

Comments please. Smile

(This post was edited by hunter on Jan 23, 2009, 12:22 AM)

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 23, 2009, 12:31 AM

Post #2 of 50 (8210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do people think it would help if the leagues, rather than have potentially misleading geographical titles, just had a reference letter, i.e. Southern League Division 1A and Division 1B for example?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

fishy
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 1:26 AM

Team(s): AFC Hull

Post #3 of 50 (8203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think (admittedly after a bottle or two of plonk) that I may be with Mr Punk on this one. To offer an illustration: Goole currently play in in Unibomd Division One South. It is difficult, by most streches of the imagnation to consider Goole as being in the south of the Unibond's remit. But the term "Midlands" is not much more helpful - it is difficult to describe Goole as being in the midlands. The only reservation I would have with the terms "A" and "B" is the assumption of a hegemonic relationship between the two (eg the assumption the A is over B). Other than that, I say: "Good call".

DaveU
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2009, 9:55 AM

Post #4 of 50 (8148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fishy] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think (admittedly after a bottle or two of plonk) that I may be with Mr Punk on this one. To offer an illustration: Goole currently play in in Unibomd Division One South. It is difficult, by most streches of the imagnation to consider Goole as being in the south of the Unibond's remit. But the term "Midlands" is not much more helpful - it is difficult to describe Goole as being in the midlands. The only reservation I would have with the terms "A" and "B" is the assumption of a hegemonic relationship between the two (eg the assumption the A is over B). Other than that, I say: "Good call".

Give them colours instead of letters, Division 1 Red and Division 1 Blue wouldn't imply any sort of relationship.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

hucknallite
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 23, 2009, 9:58 AM

Team(s): Forest, Hucknall

Post #5 of 50 (8146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveU] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or animal names: Division 1 Monkey & Division 1 Antelope.

acmold

Jan 23, 2009, 10:27 AM

Post #6 of 50 (8130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hucknallite] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or

I would have thought this season's Southern League division ones should really be titled South / West and North / East.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 10:32 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #7 of 50 (8127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

just add an 'ish' to any geographical league name

acmold

Jan 23, 2009, 10:55 AM

Post #8 of 50 (8118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Over in the Southern league, the northern of the two feeders has only 7 firmly midlands clubs, plus 5 in Gloucestershire. I'm never sure whether that county is midland or south-west or neither!

I got a bit mixed up, I presume we are working from this reading ?

AFC Sudbury Arlesey, Bury, Dunstable, Leighton, Leiston, Soham Town Rangers, Ware, Witham Town (these are all east of the Midlands)

Banbury United, North Leigh (these are Oxfordshire clubs only 40 or 50 miles from Birmingham)

Barwell, Rothwell Town, Woodford United (these are East Midlands clubs)

Bedworth United, Bromsgrove Rovers, Nuneaton Town, Stourport Swifts (these are West Midlands clubs)

Bishops Cleeve, Cinderford Town, Cirencester Town, Shortwood United (these are Gloucestrshire clubs, as far or further from Birmingham than the Oxfordshire clubs)

Re Gloucestershire, I think we could do with a region on the west of the country between the south west and the west midlands to mirror East Anglia, a Cotswolds and Malverns region, with 4 or 5 of the more rural counties.

(This post was edited by acmold on Jan 23, 2009, 11:08 AM)

multilevel
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #9 of 50 (8049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hucknallite] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Or animal names: Division 1 Monkey & Division 1 Antelope.

Sounds dangerous to me.

One could suggest that the teams in the Monkey division have more chance of evolving into higher beings that the clubs in the Antelope division. Claims of favouritism from the human officers who run the league to their cousins in Monkey would abound.

Also, imagine the fights between supporters of clubs from Division 2 Orangutan and Division 1 Monkey, and the aggression of the supporters of Division 3 Lion clubs towards those who support Division 1 Antelope clubs.

Perhaps I could suggest taking a leaf out of Prince's book and adopting the names Division 1 Symbol and Division 1 Symbol. The symbols would be different and could not be typed or spoken, but there would be little chance of one being preferred over another.

(Sorry - been programming all morning and my mind's gone!)

fishy
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 4:52 PM

Team(s): AFC Hull

Post #10 of 50 (7950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Division 1 Turnip and Division 1 Broccoli? Or The Supreme Pie and The Premier Pea? Angelic

sanktpaulee
Deleted

Jan 23, 2009, 4:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 50 (7949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or

What about using Greek and Roman gods' names? Eg:
Southern League Division 1 Poseidon and Southern League Division 1 Neptune. Both gods had equal standing as gods of the sea. If there's a question over which empire was best I'd suggest getting Harry Hill in to adjudicate. "There's only one way to find out. FIGHT."

Twitter: @LeeWest1865
http://groundhopping.forumup.co.uk

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2009, 5:54 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #12 of 50 (7933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sanktpaulee] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds like a plan!

While we're at, why don't we rename the two lower Divisions of the Isthmian League after Greek geography?

Athenian League and Spartan League, say ...

hunter
Youth Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 7:36 PM

Team(s): Gresley FC (ex Rovers), Everton, CA Huracan (Buenos Aires), Coventry Bees.

Post #13 of 50 (7894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If we use colours can Gresley please NOT be in a yellow division? Wink

With the pooling system being used to allocate clubs, i think it's fair to say that there will always be some clubs whose league/division doesn't reflect where they are from. It's obviously not the greatest evil in our game, but it's still worthy of looking into. I'd still prefer geographic terms, but ones that are as representative as possible.

hunter
Youth Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 7:55 PM

Post #14 of 50 (7879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

AFC Sudbury Arlesey, Bury, Dunstable, Leighton, Leiston, Soham Town Rangers, Ware, Witham Town (these are all east of the Midlands)

Banbury United, North Leigh (these are Oxfordshire clubs only 40 or 50 miles from Birmingham)

Bedworth United, Bromsgrove Rovers, Nuneaton Town, Stourport Swifts (these are West Midlands clubs)

Bishops Cleeve, Cinderford Town, Cirencester Town, Shortwood United (these are Gloucestrshire clubs, as far or further from Birmingham than the Oxfordshire clubs)

Re Gloucestershire, I think we could do with a region on the west of the country between the south west and the west midlands to mirror East Anglia, a Cotswolds and Malverns region, with 4 or 5 of the more rural counties.

My mistake as i thought North Leigh was in Gloucs, and thought Woodford was near London. I'd class Banbury as firmly midlands, some may not though. I'll be more thourough next time but at least the theme of the thread holds-up.

Over the top
First Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 8:09 PM

Post #15 of 50 (7871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

My mistake as i thought North Leigh was in Gloucs, and thought Woodford was near London. I'd class Banbury as firmly midlands, some may not though. I'll be more thourough next time but at least the theme of the thread holds-up.

Oi! I'm in the southCoolTongue

UKPunk

Jan 23, 2009, 10:10 PM

Post #16 of 50 (7829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fishy] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think (admittedly after a bottle or two of plonk) that I may be with Mr Punk on this one.

Only two bottles? Wink

UKPunk

Jan 23, 2009, 10:11 PM

Post #17 of 50 (7828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveU] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Give them colours instead of letters, Division 1 Red and Division 1 Blue wouldn't imply any sort of relationship.

This is the best idea I've heard so far. Smile

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 23, 2009, 10:24 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #18 of 50 (7820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So in the Blue League, would teams that play in red feel comfortable; and vice versa?Tongue

I like the Antelope idea....

Isn't it all irrelevant as we all use the sponsor names now?Wink

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

hucknallite
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 23, 2009, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Forest, Hucknall

Post #19 of 50 (7804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That settles it then: Unibond Division 1 Kitchen Sealant & Unibond Division 1 No More Nails.

sanktpaulee
Deleted

Jan 24, 2009, 9:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 50 (7767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hucknallite] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
That settles it then: Unibond Division 1 Kitchen Sealant & Unibond Division 1 No More Nails.

And British Gas Business League Division 1 Final Demand & British Gas Business League Division 1 Boiler Replacement...

Twitter: @LeeWest1865
http://groundhopping.forumup.co.uk

leeroy
Youth Team Regular

Jan 24, 2009, 9:54 AM

Post #21 of 50 (7757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sanktpaulee] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Re: [multilevel] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

What about using Greek and Roman gods' names? Eg:
Southern League Division 1 Poseidon and Southern League Division 1 Neptune. Both gods had equal standing as gods of the sea. If there's a question over which empire was best I'd suggest getting Harry Hill in to adjudicate. "There's only one way to find out. FIGHT."

Rename the Premier Division the Canute Division. Promotion candidates from the gods of the sea divisions beware! You may be turned back.

stourboy
First Team Star

Jan 24, 2009, 10:22 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #22 of 50 (7736 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is the best idea I've heard so far. Smile

To americanised for me i'm afraid.

cope1

Jan 24, 2009, 11:01 AM

Post #23 of 50 (7725 views)
Shortcut

I favour the idea of all 6 Step 4 divisions having different designations, for instance:

NPL Division 1 North
NPL Division 1 Midland

SL Division 1 Central
SL Division 1 West

IL Division 1 East
IL Division 1 South

... but that's probably just me...

hunter
Youth Team Sub

Jan 24, 2009, 11:12 AM

Post #24 of 50 (7715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Over the top] Unibond 'Midland' in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Oi! I'm in the southCoolTongue

That's exactly why i wrote it as a personal opinion; i know how territorial we all are!

Some from Oxford, which is further south say they are on the Midlands/South border so they'll probably have a third idea. Smile

UKPunk

Jan 25, 2009, 12:13 AM

Post #25 of 50 (7577 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

That's exactly why i wrote it as a personal opinion; i know how territorial we all are!

Some from Oxford, which is further south say they are on the Midlands/South border so they'll probably have a third idea. Smile

Territorial eh? You mean there are some not averse to cocking their legs to leave their scent at the grounds they visit? Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3