Jan 21, 2009, 2:59 PM

Post #26 of 42 (3921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

and what about.................
well coverering for 100 or whatever when 50 attend etc etc etc realism - ok a big crowd is expected but a parks pitch (discussion had before I know) can take a few hundred

We agreed that even though in theory there could be 800 around a rope, it wasn't a good idea for such a crowd to see a match as the crowd tend to push forward. Whilst I agree that some of the ground gradings are over the top, there should be cover for some people, and a parks pitch is not a good idea in my view.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Jan 21, 2009, 6:55 PM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #27 of 42 (3867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think most people who follow around step 7 (and probably either side) disabled or not are happy to 'make do and mend'
It is great when your local side get a covered stand, hard standing round the pitch an all, and it does make it feel a bit more like ground from a spectators point of view, and like many grounds engenderes that fan spirit - ala the Kop, Shed End, Chicken Run or Popside
I will however never change from my belief that ground gradings should more accurately reflect attendances.
By the FA's standards Derby should be playing in a Stadium 5 times bigger than the Maracana (with blonde Amazonions) the standards at non league level are unrealistic, unsustainable and plain daft. More governmental help to give each town and village a decent stadium as happens in places like France and Holland would be great.
The serving of tea in proper mugs should of course be mandatory.

(This post was edited by MattRamLives on Jan 21, 2009, 7:03 PM)

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 21, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #28 of 42 (3862 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

As a 15-mugs-a-day man I wholeheartedly agree with you Matt. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

phoenix1963
Junior Team Star

Jan 21, 2009, 7:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #29 of 42 (3841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I drink loads got to be without milk though and very strong cant be doing with the white stuff which makes it weakTongue

VP

Jan 21, 2009, 9:23 PM

Post #30 of 42 (3813 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I think that's something we can all agree on, substituting tea for coffee though. Proper, or at least drinkable, beer should be another grading rule at all levels. It's fine if you're going to a club where you know you can't get a decent pint as you can take in a local hostelry but what do you do if it's your first visit and you're unaware about only being able to buy Hoffmeister in a can (at 2 a throw!) and it's too late to find a pub in town?

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 21, 2009, 10:10 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #31 of 42 (3793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Proper, or at least drinkable, beer should be another grading rule at all levels. It's fine if you're going to a club where you know you can't get a decent pint as you can take in a local hostelry but what do you do if it's your first visit and you're unaware about only being able to buy Hoffmeister in a can (at 2 a throw!) and it's too late to find a pub in town?

Like the sentiment, but as a real ale drinker, the number of clubs serving it at all levels has been few and far between Frown

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 21, 2009, 10:54 PM

Post #32 of 42 (3774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Proper, or at least drinkable, beer should be another grading rule at all levels. It's fine if you're going to a club where you know you can't get a decent pint as you can take in a local hostelry but what do you do if it's your first visit and you're unaware about only being able to buy Hoffmeister in a can (at 2 a throw!) and it's too late to find a pub in town?

Like the sentiment, but as a real ale drinker, the number of clubs serving it at all levels has been few and far between Frown

.. yes, but I think I have found more real ale than proper coffee.Crazy

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2009, 11:24 PM

Post #33 of 42 (3760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dave] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

well coverering for 100 or whatever when 50 attend etc etc etc realism - ok a big crowd is expected but a parks pitch (discussion had before I know) can take a few hundred

We agreed that even though in theory there could be 800 around a rope, it wasn't a good idea for such a crowd to see a match as the crowd tend to push forward. Whilst I agree that some of the ground gradings are over the top, there should be cover for some people, and a parks pitch is not a good idea in my view.

We still hold the Vase record attendance for any match outside the final, and the 5,071 who watched our semi against Barton Rovers in 1982 were behind ropes.

ladderman

Jan 22, 2009, 11:41 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #34 of 42 (3678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

with a bit of work, you probably get a disabled enclosure fully paid for with grants.
But I'm all for tea in mugs.

dave
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2009, 5:46 PM

Post #35 of 42 (3612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

We still hold the Vase record attendance for any match outside the final, and the 5,071 who watched our semi against Barton Rovers in 1982 were behind ropes.

And would such a thing be allowed to happen nowadays?

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2009, 9:50 PM

Post #36 of 42 (3547 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

And would such a thing be allowed to happen nowadays?

A banner on our ground that day read NCB. Now it would stand for No Chance Buddy! But we showed it could be done, and successfully. (I think it stood for No Chance Barton that day rather than any reference to the National Coal Board)

dave
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2009, 11:36 PM

Post #37 of 42 (3513 views)
Shortcut

But thats exactly my point. The problem with park pitches is that people "crowd the line" which blocks peoples views further down the line. I've actually being at park matches where I've had to stand at least 2 yards on the pitch to see further down the line. I wouldn't even trust a park pitch with an attendance of even 20 to be in the pyramid. Yet some people seem to think its a good idea.

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Jan 23, 2009, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #38 of 42 (3463 views)
Shortcut

I'd imagine the banking along part of Rainworths ground helped but it is still mighty impressive
Would people find the wooden benching type seating like they use in the States and other places for smaller sporting events ok? vandalism target I know

UKPunk

Jan 23, 2009, 10:02 PM

Post #39 of 42 (3365 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But thats exactly my point. The problem with park pitches is that people "crowd the line" which blocks peoples views further down the line. I've actually being at park matches where I've had to stand at least 2 yards on the pitch to see further down the line. I wouldn't even trust a park pitch with an attendance of even 20 to be in the pyramid. Yet some people seem to think its a good idea.

Surely that is easily dealt with by roping the pitch off.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

dave
First Team Star

Jan 23, 2009, 10:43 PM

Post #40 of 42 (3354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes if a rope was put around the pitch it would. That said fans on a park pitch isn't the only problem with park pitches. Lack of floodlights, lack of cover, no steeped terraces and no seats and lack of (if any) toilets would be also problems.

Mishi

Jan 24, 2009, 11:27 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #41 of 42 (3292 views)
Shortcut

I'm no expert to say the least on ground gradings. I've never studied them & have no idea what the minimum requirements are at each level.

But if they are there then they should be adhered to. For me they should be taken seriously from county level, top division, upwards. Which is what you call Step 5, I think.

But common sense must be used. I thought it marvellous when the Kent League allowed Holmesdale to join their ranks, without lights, on the proviso they MUST have them within a year which they did.
On the other hand they've allowed Norton Sports to be promoted by sharing at Herne Bay. I don't know the history behind this, but surely it makes sense for them to get their own ground up to standard, without lights initially like Holmesdale, and then go up?

Talking of Herne Bay how galling it must be for them to have been denied promotion a few years ago, a lovely ground where I once saw the Hamlet play in the FA Cup, only to see Thamesmead Town apparently up to Ryman gradings! I realise you don't need much (ignoring strict gradings) when you get sub-100 crowds like Thamesmead do, but I, for one, think it should not be allowed to stage Isthmian football when there is no spectator are AT ALL behind one of the goals! And the 'covered terrace' behind the other goal, put up presumably to satisfy gradings, has to be seen to be believed! Scaffolding, with mesh netting for back, and one step of 'terrace' made from wood!
Having gone to Thamesmead a few weeks ago, for Erith Town v. Croydon FC in the Kent League, as far as I'm concerned ground gradings have gone out of the window anyway!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

VP

Jan 26, 2009, 3:47 PM

Post #42 of 42 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Step 5 to step 4 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In fact, I think all step 3/4/5 leagues will struggle to keep numbers this years as clubs fold/amalgamate/take voluntary relegation which together with ground grading (if enforced as strictly as stated) could show quite a different shape in the geography and the numbers in each league at steps 3,4 & 5.

A note on the ground grading enforcements from Colliers Wood United:-

Following last week's ground inspection by the Combined Counties League, the club have been advised regarding the necessary ground improvements that need to be undertaken in order to maintain future membership of the CCL.
These works should be undertaken by 1st August 2009 and if not completed by March 2010, then the CCL would recommend to the Football Association that membership of the CCL would be denied for the 2010/11 season.
The Wood are not the only CCL club that will need to make significant ground improvements but it is good to see that there is a "realistic" timescale to make the changes. However, more hard work lies ahead for the club, notwithstanding the financial repurcussions but the club are confident of meeting all the requirements and to continue to progress via the CCL in the future.

http://cwufc.tripod.com/

I'm assuming it'll be the same all over the country at step 5 (and step 6?). It looks fairly conclusive now. One more season or you're out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3