Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Western League

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

swjoduk
Reserve Team Star

Jan 11, 2009, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town, Exeter City, Swindon Town, Westcountry football as a whole

Post #1 of 50 (6203 views)
Shortcut
Western League Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does any body know the applicants for the Western League.

I know Taunton Blackbrook have applied but anyone know any others?

Also Minehead and Devizes may be withdrawing, any others? Elmore, Barnstaple, Ilfracombe for the SW Peninsula league???

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2009, 6:32 PM

Post #2 of 50 (6161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swjoduk] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can you please tell me more about the thought that Devizes might be resigning?

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 50 (6130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or

I thought Taunton Blackbrook were more or less Taunton Res. Taunton are 19th in the Southern League South and West and have played more games than the teams below themselves. If they were relegated that would cause problems if Blackbrook were their 2nd XI in all but name.

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Jan 11, 2009, 7:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 50 (6125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have read that Minehead have submitted a provisional resignation. Barnstaple if in a relegation position may drop to CSWL Premier. Unlikely to see the CSWL top or second team come up to replace the relagated team.

Can't see Elmore staying in the 1st division much longer (but I've been saying that for a long time now!)

Mek
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2009, 7:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 50 (6099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Latest on Devizes:

http://www.devizestownfc.net/

vienna1964
Deleted

Jan 12, 2009, 12:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 50 (5989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I have read that Minehead have submitted a provisional resignation. Barnstaple if in a relegation position may drop to CSWL Premier. Unlikely to see the CSWL top or second team come up to replace the relagated team.

Can't see Elmore staying in the 1st division much longer (but I've been saying that for a long time now!)

I have heard that Penzance will apply for WL if they finish in the SWP top-two.

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

T P
Youth Team Star

Jan 12, 2009, 12:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 50 (5958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

That would be quite a big ask of them to join the Western League from the SWP1W!!!

Sarumio

Jan 12, 2009, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #8 of 50 (5923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

That would be quite a big ask of them to join the Western League from the SWP1W!!!

Why on Earth would they do that? Utter nonsense! Unless they're on about getting into the SWP Premier for the 09-10 season and then if they finish in the top two they'd apply for the Western Premier? But that still sounds like utter tosh until there are a few other Cornwall based clubs in the Western Premier.

KnowYourMarket

Jan 12, 2009, 1:51 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #9 of 50 (5912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree, except someone has to start the ball rolling with Cornish clubs?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2009, 2:17 PM

Post #10 of 50 (5892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I agree, except someone has to start the ball rolling with Cornish clubs?

Didn't someone say that about the Northern League?

swjoduk
Reserve Team Star

Jan 12, 2009, 8:43 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town, Exeter City, Swindon Town, Westcountry football as a whole

Post #11 of 50 (5807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As far as I am aware, Taunton Blackbrook are separate, they have different officials to Taunton Town and merely lease the ground.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2009, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #12 of 50 (5703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swjoduk] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although Blackbrook did use several Taunton Town players last season, especially GK Nat Whatley, who had just joined TT from Willand.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

pokal02
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2009, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #13 of 50 (5572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree, but it's a long way from Penzance even to Devon! I think St Blazey should have given it a try a few years ago, but the only feasible West Cornwall club for the WL now is probably Falmouth (and they seem to be far from the force of old).

portway pete
Youth Team Regular

Jan 13, 2009, 9:46 PM

Team(s): Andover,West Ham.

Post #14 of 50 (5525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There have been few rumours at Andover concerning what league will could be playing in next season if we were to be relegated from the southern league along with Winchester city.Someone mentioned that the wessex league would not be able accept both teams and Andover may have to go into the western league.Looking at the Wessex premier league table i would have thought that only VTFC would pass the ground grading so it would be a case of one up/one down with Andover heading west or even replacing Hungerford in the Hellenic league.

www.andover-music-photography.blogspot.com

Sarumio

Jan 13, 2009, 10:50 PM

Post #15 of 50 (5505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [portway pete] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There have been few rumours at Andover concerning what league will could be playing in next season if we were to be relegated from the southern league along with Winchester city.Someone mentioned that the wessex league would not be able accept both teams and Andover may have to go into the western league.Looking at the Wessex premier league table i would have thought that only VTFC would pass the ground grading so it would be a case of one up/one down with Andover heading west or even replacing Hungerford in the Hellenic league.

I don't forsee Andover going anywhere but the Wessex League - if the worst should happen - the one thing you've overlooked is that there is one space available in the Wessex League Division One - i.e. theres 43 clubs in the Wessex League at present due to Locks Heath departing in the summer. I don't think the Wessex League would have any choice but to accept them both! It would be different if their constitution was full but it isnt.

The Wessex League will simply relegate one more from the Premier than they promote from Div One - to balance it out!

portway pete
Youth Team Regular

Jan 13, 2009, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Andover,West Ham.

Post #16 of 50 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Good point.I still think Andover will pull themselves away from the drop zone,we've now gone 16 games without a win but team performances are starting to look a lot better.

www.andover-music-photography.blogspot.com

Sarumio

Jan 14, 2009, 8:33 AM

Post #17 of 50 (5453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [portway pete] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Good point.I still think Andover will pull themselves away from the drop zone,we've now gone 16 games without a win but team performances are starting to look a lot better.

As our historic local rivals, I really hope you do get away from it, though i'd also be sad to see Taunton or Bracknell go down! Hopefully its AFC Hayes and Bishop's Cleeve in that division.

grandad
Youth Team Regular

Jan 14, 2009, 12:52 PM

Team(s): Slought Town, Cheltenham Pilgrims, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn

Post #18 of 50 (5409 views)
Shortcut

What you got against Bishops Cleeve? A club that has got where it is on merit and not by cheque book! Tidy little club house. Most of the players are local lads too, how many more teams at that level can say that.

Once a Rebel, Always a Rebel

Sarumio

Jan 14, 2009, 1:09 PM

Post #19 of 50 (5394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grandad] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What you got against Bishops Cleeve? A club that has got where it is on merit and not by cheque book! Tidy little club house. Most of the players are local lads too, how many more teams at that level can say that.

I've nothing against Bishop's Cleeve! I'm sure they're a wonderful club, but out of the current bottom 6 I'd be least upset if Bishop's Cleeve and AFC Hayes went down. Andover are Salisbury City's ancient rivals and a club that many Salisbury supporters are fond of - they're like our little brother. Winchester and Taunton, as a large city and town respectively deserve to have a club at Step 4 at least and both have the catchment areas and potential support to at least climb another rung in the pyramid. And I just like Bracknell Town, i have no idea why!

In terms of merit, yes Bishop's Cleeve are where they through hard work, patience and effort and no one can take that away from them, but in terms of potential and support, out of the bottom 6, Bishop and Hayes fall short of the other 4.

trevor56
Youth Team Regular

Jan 14, 2009, 1:48 PM

Post #20 of 50 (5376 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't forsee Andover going anywhere but the Wessex League - if the worst should happen - the one thing you've overlooked is that there is one space available in the Wessex League Division One - i.e. theres 43 clubs in the Wessex League at present due to Locks Heath departing in the summer. I don't think the Wessex League would have any choice but to accept them both! It would be different if their constitution was full but it isnt.

The Wessex League will simply relegate one more from the Premier than they promote from Div One - to balance it out!

its not allowed to relegate extra club simply to accomodate another.imagine that, you manage to end your season just escaping relegation only to be told sorry lads but we've a more deserving case so you have to go.talk about moving the goalposts!!

Sarumio

Jan 14, 2009, 5:48 PM

Post #21 of 50 (5324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trevor56] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

its not allowed to relegate extra club simply to accomodate another.imagine that, you manage to end your season just escaping relegation only to be told sorry lads but we've a more deserving case so you have to go.talk about moving the goalposts!!

I think you'll find they are allowed, and I think you'll find thats what would have to happen should both Andover and Winchester City fall through the trap door!

Richard Rundle

Jan 14, 2009, 5:50 PM

Post #22 of 50 (5320 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think you'll find they are allowed, and I think you'll find thats what would have to happen should both Andover and Winchester City fall through the trap door!

I think it's more likely that the Wessex League top division would run with an extra club for a season.

--
Richard

dave
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2009, 6:06 PM

Post #23 of 50 (5312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely it would be more sensible for someone to move sideways if that happens to another step 5 league.

Richard Rundle

Jan 14, 2009, 6:14 PM

Post #24 of 50 (5310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dave] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Surely it would be more sensible for someone to move sideways if that happens to another step 5 league.

With the numbers as they are, that could only practically be the Western League and I can't see any Wessex League who would be suitable.

Remember, the Wessex League ran with 23 clubs in its top division just two seasons ago.

--
Richard

dave
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2009, 6:30 PM

Post #25 of 50 (5304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Western League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are 14 leagues at step 5. Allowing 22 in each division, means a total of 308 clubs can be at step 5. Without looking too hard throughout the step 5 leagues I know that step 5 isn't full, so surely its not difficult for a FEW clubs go sideways if we have to go East. Etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3