Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Games: Brain Teasers:
Railway station furthest from a League Ground

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 2, 2009, 9:57 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 9 (11243 views)
Shortcut
Railway station furthest from a League Ground Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurso.Tongue

Or Penzance in England.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jan 3, 2009, 12:07 AM)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 3, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #2 of 9 (11217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or

Alice Springs

Veteran

Jan 3, 2009, 10:28 PM

Post #3 of 9 (11192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Alice Springs

DOES She ?

davidp
Reserve Team Star

Mar 26, 2009, 1:20 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Abbey Hulton United, Norton Utd (RIP), Brighton and Stoke City

Post #4 of 9 (10541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or how about reversing it - which league ground is furthest from a station? That'd be tricky to work out.

The Groundhog - the football ground travelog

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 26, 2009, 2:16 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 9 (10532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidp] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ummm, look two threads further down the page.

This was the piss-take alternative........Tongue

AndyE
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2009, 2:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 9 (10530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidp] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For a long time, the answer to that one would have been Mansfield Town - but then Mansfield got itself a station. For a while it was Rushden and Diamonds, but then they fell out of the Football League.

But without working it out properly, I've a feeling that the answer at present may be Reading; Histon would usurp the title if they were to get promoted. If we allow the Scottish League as well, then it's Peterhead by absolutely miles.

EDIT: Oh yea, just saw the thread that buncranaboy mentions! Reading doesn't seem to get a mention there though, so I'm claiming a point anyway!

(This post was edited by AndyE on Mar 26, 2009, 2:30 PM)

davidp
Reserve Team Star

Mar 26, 2009, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Abbey Hulton United, Norton Utd (RIP), Brighton and Stoke City

Post #7 of 9 (10516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, after posting I did notice it and tried to delete my post! It appeared to have deleted, but seems to have risen from the grave again.

The Groundhog - the football ground travelog

Veteran

Mar 26, 2009, 11:19 PM

Post #8 of 9 (10507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

EDIT: Oh yea, just saw the thread that buncranaboy mentions! Reading doesn't seem to get a mention there though, so I'm claiming a point anyway!

Reading FC is 2.28 miles from Reading West station (per Multimap). This is certainly not as far as Yeovil Town for instance nor what I think we decided was the ultimate current winner (not counting tram stations or preserved railways) Bury FC.

AndyE
First Team Star

Mar 26, 2009, 11:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 9 (10505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Railway station furthest from a League Ground [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was working on road distances, but I confess that I didn't think of Yeovil. It turns out to be 3.5 miles from Yeovil Pen Mill, while Reading is 3.6 miles by road from Reading station (slightly further from Reading West).

Histon is 4.4 miles by road from Cambridge station, and slightly further from Waterbeach, so would take the title if promoted.

Bury is a good shout if one doesn't accept tram stops as stations, although personally I do.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3