Guernsey "United" renamed

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 30, 2008, 5:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 23 (6739 views)
Shortcut
Guernsey "United" renamed Can't Post or Reply Privately

Guernsey "United" have been re-named Guernsey Athletics (yes, plural) F.C.

It revives one of the most famous club names on the Island.

The 'Tics were one of the four original "Amalgamated" clubs along with
Belgrave Wanderers, Guernsey Rangers and Northerners.

Cue much pointless comment from our "favourite" wind up merchant!!!

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 30, 2008, 9:15 PM

Post #2 of 23 (6683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Guernsey "United" have been re-named Guernsey Athletics (yes, plural) F.C.

It revives one of the most famous club names on the Island.

The 'Tics were one of the four original "Amalgamated" clubs along with
Belgrave Wanderers, Guernsey Rangers and Northerners.

Cue much pointless comment from our "favourite" wind up merchant!!!

Erm, hasn't he been banned? Unsure

Oh, I see! Ok, the penny's dropped now. That'll teach me to lay off the beer until a later hour. Wink

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Dec 30, 2008, 11:37 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #3 of 23 (6634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How many ex-Guernsey League teams have there been, apart from Port City and Island Police?

I'm intrigued because, when I visited Alderney for a Muratti game some years back, there was a picture in the clubhouse depicting players for the then Priaulx teams in recent style kits, plus a couple of ghostly players in 1880's style kits representing (I think) Old Economicals and Old Pessimists.

John Treleven

Dec 31, 2008, 8:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 23 (6586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Numerous, many of the early ones being Army teams stationed there
but at least 15 club ones including those you mention.
Athletics and Centrals are probably the two best known.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jan 2, 2009, 12:33 PM

Post #5 of 23 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Just out of interest, John, what do you make of the 'one man one club' rule imposed by the Guernsey Football Association, which has caused the Business League and Sunday League to break away from the GFA?

As far as I can make out, this means the Guernsey County League teams can only call on a finite number of players, if transfers between GFA and non-GFA clubs aren't allowed. What if a GCL club likes the look of a promising player in a breakakway league and are keen to sign him? If they can't, that player's progress and talent are effectively compromised.

Also, won't the better GCL players be signed up for Guernsey Athletics, work and family commitments alllowing, if the team takes off? That would mean a watering down of the GCL club's squads, and the GCL clubs would be squeezed for players from the rival clubs / leagues in either direction.

Also, what if someone involved with a GCL club wants to learn about administering a club? There must be finite positions at GCL clubs, and the opportunity to start at a lower level with a Business or Sunday League side and work their way up is taken from them.

John Treleven

Jan 2, 2009, 1:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 23 (6328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The new rule certainly polarised opinion although the more "serious" players are with the clubs who also have extensive junior sections.
Anyone wishing to progress from the pubs and offices would have to transfer to one of those if they wished to move on.
If Guernsey Athletics takes off there is the danger that they would cream off the best players but we will have to see if it happens.

frychip67
Junior Team Regular

Jan 25, 2009, 8:23 AM

Team(s): Gosport Borough, Leighton Town, Notts Co Ladies RIP, MK Dons Women

Post #7 of 23 (5898 views)
Shortcut

Why are they looking to enter the Kent League instead of the Wessex League? Regular flights operate between the island and Southampton, with which the Channel Islands have traditional links.

FAKER #1129
Turks 4 Aisleyne

John Treleven

Jan 25, 2009, 9:13 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 23 (5890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frychip67] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Contacts & Vacancies

Russell
First Team Star

Jan 25, 2009, 1:27 PM

Post #9 of 23 (5841 views)
Shortcut

Correct. They would have to enter the pyramid in one of the lower Hampshire feeders, whereas in Kent they could go straight in at step 5 if the clubs and leagues go for it.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 25, 2009, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #10 of 23 (5814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes and thats the reason it may not be allowed.

DaveU
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 9:48 AM

Post #11 of 23 (5719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One thing I don't understand. There are many people who criticise the Kent League for being a county league at step 5, but when they attract clubs from outside Kent that's wrong as well. It's starting to sound like some people just don't think Kent clubs should be allowed in the pyramid.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 26, 2009, 10:03 AM

Post #12 of 23 (5714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveU] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it would be very interesting to have a Guernsey team in the Kent League.
However i still feel for them to choose Kent just because it has vacancies is fundamentally wrong. Whats to then stop a group of Yorkshire business flying a team down to Kent because its an easy way to get two steps up the pyramid.
No the same criteria that applies to the FA vase should be adopted.
And that puts them firmly in Wessex territory.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 10:13 PM

Post #13 of 23 (5605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but didn't Bradford Park Avenue do something similar in the early 1900's, playing in the Southern League because they thought they'd stand a better chance of promotion to the Football League (and it worked?) Wink

Mek
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 23 (5598 views)
Shortcut

The same case for Yeovil playing in the Isthmian League (rather than Southern) on relegation from the Alliance & the Conference ?

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 23 (5592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveU] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One thing I don't understand. There are many people who criticise the Kent League for being a county league at step 5, but when they attract clubs from outside Kent that's wrong as well. It's starting to sound like some people just don't think Kent clubs should be allowed in the pyramid.

The problem is really twofold - one fold is absolutely not Kent's fault, and the other to some extent is.

One reason that the Kent League is small is that Kent clubs in general do quite well when they get to Step 4 and higher, and so don't come back to the Kent League - Erith and Belvedere are currently the only Kent club in the KL that have played at a higher level in recent years.

The other is more an issue for Kent to address though. With Faversham Town back in the Kent League, is there now any Kent club with floodlights and playing below Step 5? The only one I can immediately think of is Billings FC (aka Corinthian), which club now only plays youth football.

With that being the case, there's unlikely to be very much promotion to the Kent League in the foreseeable future - Orpington and Bly Spartans would be about the closest to a Step 5 grading except for the absence of lights.

If Kent FA and its clubs can address the grounds issue and get a proper Step 6 league happening, I'd wager that before very long it would be better than the Sussex equivalent. And for no obvious reason, Sussex is not so often mentioned as a Step 5 league that shouldn't be.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jan 26, 2009, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #16 of 23 (5581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://bufc.drfox.org.uk/tab66.html

Spot the geographical odd one out...

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 27, 2009, 8:48 AM

Post #17 of 23 (5532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The same case for Yeovil playing in the Isthmian League (rather than Southern) on relegation from the Alliance & the Conference ?

True but that was prior to the current desire to create proper boundaries.
I could not see Yeovil playing in Ryman league now.

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 27, 2009, 9:19 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #18 of 23 (5529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If Kent FA and its clubs can address the grounds issue and get a proper Step 6 league happening, I'd wager that before very long it would be better than the Sussex equivalent. And for no obvious reason, Sussex is not so often mentioned as a Step 5 league that shouldn't be.

a) Sussex County League consists of three levels with over 50 clubs in membership. Their third division clubs like Newhaven, Hawards Heath Town and Uckfield Town are probably on a par with the bottom couple of team in the Kent League, certainly ground wise.
b) It has regular relegation and promotion between its Step 5 and Step 6.
c) If it chose to, it could easily have a 22 team Division at Step 5 all with floodlights and proper ground requirements (as it is they choose 20 in the their Step 5 division).
d) Slightly less significant but it does actually cover two counties, East and West Sussex and the odd one from Surrey.
e) They don't stink of desperation and drag teams in from outside the pyramid, without their own ground and plonk them directly in at Step 5 and leave them there to rot for 20 odd years.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 27, 2009, 9:47 AM

Post #19 of 23 (5520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

a) Sussex County League consists of three levels with over 50 clubs in membership. Their third division clubs like Newhaven, Hawards Heath Town and Uckfield Town are probably on a par with the bottom couple of team in the Kent League, certainly ground wise.
b) It has regular relegation and promotion between its Step 5 and Step 6.
c) If it chose to, it could easily have a 22 team Division at Step 5 all with floodlights and proper ground requirements (as it is they choose 20 in the their Step 5 division).
d) Slightly less significant but it does actually cover two counties, East and West Sussex and the odd one from Surrey.
e) They don't stink of desperation and drag teams in from outside the pyramid, without their own ground and plonk them directly in at Step 5 and leave them there to rot for 20 odd years.

In Reply To

I have often read your views of the Kent League and to be honest find it hard to disagree.
However i have watched it for years and for no other reason than that want it to survive. Whilst of course conceding that it should not.
But i cannot understand point e). I dont believe the Kent League have ever been guilty of that.

Sir_Chops
Junior Team Star

Jan 27, 2009, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Tunbridge Wells, QPR

Post #20 of 23 (5509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

...And it's exactly for this reason that is should be mentioned more often as one that shouldn't be. Hardly a groundbreaking view, but it holes the Kent League in, and in my opinion, it covers the wrong two counties. While the Sussex League remains in tact, progress in the South East of England will be stunted. If Kent and East Sussex (with some Surrey) formed the basis of a new league, then we'd be getting somewhere.

Russell
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2009, 12:22 PM

Post #21 of 23 (5470 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

The other is more an issue for Kent to address though. With Faversham Town back in the Kent League, is there now any Kent club with floodlights and playing below Step 5? The only one I can immediately think of is Billings FC (aka Corinthian), which club now only plays youth football.

There are two floodlit clubs - Otford and Lewisham.

Sir_Chops
Junior Team Star

Jan 27, 2009, 2:37 PM

Team(s): Tunbridge Wells, QPR

Post #22 of 23 (5433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Guernsey "United" renamed [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And Forest Hill Park, who play at the same ground as Lewisham.

I am led to believe Phoenix Sports and Bly Spartans have gained permission to install lights.

DaveU
First Team Star

Jan 29, 2009, 1:27 PM

Post #23 of 23 (5334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sir_Chops] Guernsey Athletic update [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/...asp?article_id=56001

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3