Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Games: Brain Teasers:
League Ground furthest from a railway station

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Veteran
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 29, 2008, 10:44 PM

Post #1 of 28 (7895 views)
Shortcut
League Ground furthest from a railway station Can't Post or

I know that Mansfield Town used to be quoted as the League club furthest from a railway station but this now doesn't apply on either count as they are now close to the reopened Mansfield station and are non-league.

So which English League ground is now the furthest away ? - just to avoid arguments I mean from a station on the normal rail network (i.e not a station on a preserved railway or a tram stop).

As my own stab I now nominate Gigg Lane (which is why I put the above clarifications of the definition).

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 29, 2008, 10:54 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 28 (7894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chester is a bit of a hike from t'station. Must be a couple of miles at least.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Dec 30, 2008, 12:42 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #3 of 28 (7881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will you include the London Underground ? If not West Ham is a fair distance from a Rail Station

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Dec 30, 2008, 12:53 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #4 of 28 (7880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just had a look at the Coventry website and it states that the Ricoh Arena is approx 6 miles from Coventry Station so must be a contender

Jamesie
Deleted

Dec 30, 2008, 9:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 28 (7866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

Until someone has a day to spend with multimap, I doubt we'll get an exact answer. I always think of Blackburn Rovers being miles from Mill Hill station, the one they made us use on a footie special (do they still have them), but that was just a mile - young legs and all that. The best I can come up with is Sheffield Wednesday at 4 miles - not even a contender.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Veteran

Dec 30, 2008, 12:01 PM

Post #6 of 28 (7856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

I have done an approximate Multimap on the ones mentioned so far and can reveal :

Bury - nearest station Clifton 4.2 miles
Wet Sham (even excluding underground) nearest Woodgrange Park 1.2 miles
Sheff Wed nearest Sheffield at 2.8 miles
Blackburn nearest Mill Hill 0.7 miles
Chester City - nearest Chester at 1.8 miles

Others I have looked at so far are Wycombe (2.3) Reading (2.1) Scunthorpe United (Althorpe - 1.5) Yeovil Town (Pen Mill 2.6) Leeds United (Cottingley - 1.0) and Bristol Rovers (Montpelier - 1.3).

BuryGrecian
Youth Team Regular

Dec 30, 2008, 4:01 PM

Team(s): Exeter City & Radcliffe Borough

Post #7 of 28 (7840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just had a look at the Coventry website and it states that the Ricoh Arena is approx 6 miles from Coventry Station so must be a contender

According to Multimap the nearest station is Bedworth, at 2.44 miles

Last Game - 13/1/09 Unibond Presidents Cup - Salford City 2 Skelmersdale Utd 4
Last New Ground - Moor Lane, Salford City

jrev61

Dec 30, 2008, 6:19 PM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 28 (7821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BuryGrecian] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rushden and Diamonds would have been a contender, but happily they are back where they belong in the Blue Square Premier.

jrev61

Veteran

Dec 30, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #9 of 28 (7815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

Woudl have been close, John. Wellingborough 3.9 miles..

UKPunk

Dec 30, 2008, 10:05 PM

Post #10 of 28 (7809 views)
Shortcut

For those of us who are non drivers and rely on public transport, which club is the furthest from any form of the aforementioned?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 31, 2008, 4:15 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 28 (7757 views)
Shortcut

How far did you reckon Shrewsbury was from the station - must be well over a couple of miles

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 31, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #12 of 28 (7736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is quite a hike from the station to the ground in Swansea.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Dec 31, 2008, 7:37 PM

Post #13 of 28 (7732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

1.3 miles on foot. Only a hop and two skips.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

jrev61

Dec 31, 2008, 8:58 PM

Post #14 of 28 (7718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ardley United is very difficult although a 5 mile walk from Bicester is possible.
Loxwood is the most difficult ground I need at that level there are no buses at all, if I ever go there I would need a taxi from Billingshurst station.
I believe Morwenstow in Cornwall is even harder to get to, but I have no,plans to ever go there anyway.

jrev61

buncranaboy

Dec 31, 2008, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 28 (7716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Senior football, I reckon it would be hard to beat Newcastle Emlyn or Louth as places left behind by Beeching United.

acmold

Jan 1, 2009, 9:50 AM

Post #16 of 28 (7699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

Wantage and Letcombe are quite far from the nearest station, Wantage lost their station along with Shrivenham thanks to Dr Beeching, parts of both are still in part in situ along side the London to Bristol line.

jrev61

Jan 1, 2009, 10:53 AM

Post #17 of 28 (7695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are no stations at those places but there is at least a good bus service to Wantage, or at least there was when I went there.
UK Punks question was about all public transport not just trains.
The British Clubs furthest from stations would be in the Outer Hebrides or Shetland Islands.

jrev61

John Treleven

Jan 1, 2009, 6:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 28 (7675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No trains in Jersey since c 1937

acmold

Jan 1, 2009, 7:04 PM

Post #19 of 28 (7669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
There are no stations at those places but there is at least a good bus service to Wantage, or at least there was when I went there.

Bus services to Wantage have been changed of late, and it is easier I think to go via Oxford than Didcot these days. Not sure what bus goes to Letcombe.

jrev61

Jan 1, 2009, 7:42 PM

Post #20 of 28 (7666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did go via Oxford as I went to Oxford Youth in the morning.

Surely the nearest station to Jersey would be on the French mainland. I'm not sure if St. Malo has a station or not.

jrev61

Veteran

Jan 1, 2009, 10:11 PM

Post #21 of 28 (7649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
No trains in Jersey since c 1937

It's only 2211 now ......

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 1, 2009, 10:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 28 (7643 views)
Shortcut

It's surprisingly hard to find a club which is more than, say, a mile from any form of public transport - even though in some cases the public transport is infrequent and no use at all for a person going to the football.

Ashford Town (Kent) is about 2 miles out of town and there's no convenient bus service. I can't immediately think of a harder one to get to at Step 4; undoubtedly there are some at lower levels.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jan 1, 2009, 10:58 PM

Post #23 of 28 (7637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

Clevedon Town is well off the beaten track too and should they secure the relegation that looks inevitable then they will give Ashford a run for their money.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Veteran

Jan 2, 2009, 12:10 PM

Post #24 of 28 (7613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
In Senior football, I reckon it would be hard to beat Newcastle Emlyn or Louth as places left behind by Beeching United.

These two are around 13-14 miles from their nearest station but how about Fraserburgh (31 miles - to Inverurie) and for a Scottish League ground Peterhead (26 miles to Dyce).

acmold

Jan 2, 2009, 1:54 PM

Post #25 of 28 (7605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] League Ground furthest from a railway station [In reply to] Can't Post or

What about the two teams on the Scilly Isles, they must be a long way from a station.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3