Blue Star North next season

shotsforme
Youth Team Regular

Dec 29, 2008, 2:48 PM

Team(s): Aldershot/Brentford/Dover

Post #1 of 14 (5139 views)
Shortcut
Blue Star North next season Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the tables standing as they are it would mean Merthyr Tydfil playing next season in the Blue Star North? However, if Swindon Supermarine got promoted with Farnborough instead who on earth would go into BSN (assuming Worcester have already been transferred back?) I donít see any candidates at all; would the League consider having 21 teams in the North and 23 in the South??

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 29, 2008, 4:01 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #2 of 14 (5100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shotsforme] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Bishops Stortford (and possibly Braintree Town) would be ahead of Merthyr Tydfil - they are further north. Susandy would find it less travel!

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (957) Kingsway Park Ashland Rovers 2-0 Underwood Villa
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
22/10 Rocester v NKF Burbage
27/10 Floriana v Senglea Athletic

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 29, 2008, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #3 of 14 (5096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He would be the only one.
It's something we've discussed before, and it's quite a terrifying prospect. We'd actually do less travel in Conference National !

Russell
First Team Star

Dec 29, 2008, 4:15 PM

Post #4 of 14 (5089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shotsforme] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
next season in the Blue Star North?

Is the division being sponsored by Newcastle Blue Star next season? I must have missed that announcement.

dave
First Team Star

Dec 29, 2008, 5:25 PM

Post #5 of 14 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There will be 22 teams in each division next season. I'm not really in favour of an odd number of teams in any division, although of course the number doesn't HAVE to be 22.

Its not just the location of clubs that is important (as I orginally thought) but also access to motorways etc.

susandy034
Youth Team Sub

Dec 29, 2008, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford

Post #6 of 14 (5000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think Bishops Stortford (and possibly Braintree Town) would be ahead of Merthyr Tydfil - they are further north. Susandy would find it less travel!

Thanks for thinking of me, although it wouldn't make any difference to my travelling to home games.

Sarumio

Dec 29, 2008, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #7 of 14 (4992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [susandy034] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It seems that Corby Town and Halesowen Town better get their acts in gear!

PaulC

Dec 29, 2008, 11:38 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 14 (4897 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I donít see any candidates at all; would the League consider having 21 teams in the North and 23 in the South??/reply]

Doing this just delays the inevitable.

It's time the bullet was bitten or things will just get even more nonsensical. There should be 2 feeder leagues for Conference North (NPL and MPL) and 2 for Conference South (IPL and SPL), rather than what is effectively 1.33 leagues serving the north and 1.67 serving the South (using the Severn/Wash dividing line).

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 30, 2008, 11:44 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #9 of 14 (4807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't see where you're going to find enough teams for a Midland Premier League (and corresponding lower divisions) at that level, see the following thread which I think has the best answers:

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...lapsed;guest=9278839

North of Bishops Stortford / Braintree Town are 10/22 SLP and 11/24 Conference teams, plus Worcester City. If Bishops Stortford were in the SLP (accepting they could be ILP anyway), they would be in the Northern half.....

EDIT: It will take a 5-1 or 6-0 South / North balance of SLP promotees/Conf relegatees to put Bishops Stortford in this position, assuming Worcester City and Bishops Stortford stay at that level. As I tipped Cambridge City for the SLP title in the prediction comp, I will be willing them on for a possible promotion to Conf Nth!

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (957) Kingsway Park Ashland Rovers 2-0 Underwood Villa
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
22/10 Rocester v NKF Burbage
27/10 Floriana v Senglea Athletic

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Dec 30, 2008, 11:53 AM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 30, 2008, 12:09 PM

Post #10 of 14 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Oftenscore wrote: "I don't see where you're going to find enough teams for a Midland Premier League (and corresponding lower divisions)..."

A point that has been made many times before Ė if you create another division at any level, you have to take clubs from below. The post-2004 changes have shown the effects on some of the leagues at Step 5 and 6.

This subject was raised recently by Ashton49Pieman in suggesting a 1-2-4-8 structure:
http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

Such a structure would require 20+ clubs to be elevated from Step 4 to Step 3, and 60+ from Step 5 to Step 4 (and so on). Is this desirable?

Suggestions to deal with the constant shift southwards of the Conference regional boundary has produced some electrifying debates on this forum!

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Dec 30, 2008, 1:11 PM)

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Dec 30, 2008, 2:08 PM

Post #11 of 14 (4733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
This subject was raised recently by Ashton49Pieman in suggesting a 1-2-4-8 structure:
http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

Such a structure would require 20+ clubs to be elevated from Step 4 to Step 3, and 60+ from Step 5 to Step 4 (and so on). Is this desirable?

But is there some written rule that divisions must have 22 teams in them?

By using a 1-2-4-8 system with 1x20, 2x20, 4x18, 8x16 the same number of teams will be incorporated into the same four levels (okay, three less teams in fact), and the smaller divisions will reduce the liklihood of fixture congestion towards the end of the season.

This would markedly reduce travelling (hell, that's up to seven less away games per season for some) but then the flip side is less home games thus less revenue. Chuck in a few meaninless cups and all is well Wink Well, all except the Southern bias becomes a noticeable Northern bias.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 30, 2008, 3:36 PM

Post #12 of 14 (4703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

But is there some written rule that divisions must have 22 teams in them?

By using a 1-2-4-8 system with 1x20, 2x20, 4x18, 8x16 the same number of teams will be incorporated into the same four levels (okay, three less teams in fact), and the smaller divisions will reduce the liklihood of fixture congestion towards the end of the season.

Exactly - there are 36 Saturdays from the last w/e in August to the first w/e in May. Take out a few for the FA Cup/Trophy, add in a couple of Bank Holidays and divisions of 20 or less seems about right.

BuryGrecian
Youth Team Regular

Dec 30, 2008, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Exeter City & Radcliffe Borough

Post #13 of 14 (4689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would the money saved by less travelling be greater than the income lost from the fewer number of home league games? Especially for the 8x16 team Step 4 divisions.

You only have to look at the desire for the Unibond clubs to get up to a full complement of clubs to see that smaller divisions are something that isn't likely to be popular with clubs

Last Game - 13/1/09 Unibond Presidents Cup - Salford City 2 Skelmersdale Utd 4
Last New Ground - Moor Lane, Salford City

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Dec 30, 2008, 4:19 PM

Post #14 of 14 (4673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BuryGrecian] Blue Star North next season [In reply to] Can't Post or

Of course that is the drawback, as well as the fact that rather than in most given examples of restructuring on this board where clubs are shuffles up, in this case clubs are shuffled down the pyramid. I don't imaging for a moment that York City would be happy going from 46 Blue Square Premier games per season to 38 Blue Square North games per season.

But it is all hypothetical and there is never any danger of our beloved Football Association taking on board even the most flawless of suggestions from this message board.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3