Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Restructuring

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Regular

Dec 23, 2008, 12:36 AM

Post #1 of 9 (5252 views)
Shortcut
Restructuring Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree with your thoughts on restructuring for next season, Tony - but cant help thinking that the FA original blueprint of 1, 2 4 8 and 16 divisions at 5 levels would have best served all areas for travelling and ease of movement, with a proper structured promotion chain. Unfortunately it was not seen through for various reasons. Correct me if I am wrong but I think it was as follows = Level 1 - Conference Level 2 - Confernece North and Conference South Level 3 - Northern Premier League - Midland Premier League - Southern Premier League - South Eastern Premier League Level 4 - Regional Leagues - North Western League - North Eastern League - West Midland league - East Midland League ( North and Midlands Pyramid) South Western League - South League - South Eastern League - Eastern League ( South West and South East Pyramid ) 16 Area Leagues - North West Counties League - North Midlands League - Northern League - Northern Counties East League - West Midlands Reg League - Midland Combination = Central Midlands League - East Midlands Counties League ( N & M ) South West Counties League - Western League - Hellenic League -Southern Counties League - London League - South Eastern Counties League - South Midlands League - Eastern Counties League ( S & SE ) All clubs below this would be level 6 in existing leagues with promotion through the same channels. I suppose that this Plan would have required a more radical approach but would have meant less geographical switching each season

Tony Kempster
Administrator

Dec 23, 2008, 9:05 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #2 of 9 (5211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashton49Pieman] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This was only a suggestiuon put forward by the FA (amongst several others) - it was never a blue print.

It was rejected by the step 3/4 leagues who, as usual, were ptotecting their own selfish interests. As you know, the FA committee that decides these things is dominated by the step 3/4 leagues and if they do not want it to happen, it will not. The FA do not have the power or authority to "impose" a solution.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2008, 11:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 9 (5169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm probably being incredibly naive, but what's to stop a body liasing with the Blue Square and the step 5 feeders and creating the Midland Premier league on their own?

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 23, 2008, 12:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MKJames] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My thoughts are that they don't want to burn their bridges with the NPL, SL and IL who are doing an important job at steps 3/4, even if they don't do what a lot of people think they should. Personally I think the FA are biding their time until the political situation is ripe for them to push the issue. Of course, I can't help think that if all the clubs wanted the change it would be more likely to happen so I have to wonder how many of them do want that change. The last sentence, admittedly, could just be highlighting my ignorance of that level of the game.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 23, 2008, 1:44 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MKJames] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I'm probably being incredibly naive, but what's to stop a body liasing with the Blue Square and the step 5 feeders and creating the Midland Premier league on their own?.

As I've said before, and as much as I would like to see a Midlands Premier, by putting a 4th division Midlands in at step three will not solve many problems. It will do nothing for the clubs in the south west quarter of England, and if all Midlands based teams are used for the Midland division that means what is left becomes the Southern (south west) section and clubs have to be added to that to balance the numbers. We may well be looking at clubs from inside the M25 travelling to the far west and clubs like Oxford City, Banbury and even Brackley could end up in the southern (south west) section and have more journeys west when they are only 1 hour or less from many of the Midlands clubs. If you put the 16/17 most south westly clubs at step 3 in a list and the 16 / 17 most central clubs at step 3 this season in a list a number would appear in both lists. And I'm sure the 5 or 6 clubs that would have to transfer out of the Isthmian League would not be happy.

vienna1964
Deleted

Dec 28, 2008, 8:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 9 (4711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm probably being incredibly naive, but what's to stop a body liasing with the Blue Square and the step 5 feeders and creating the Midland Premier league on their own?.

As I've said before, and as much as I would like to see a Midlands Premier, by putting a 4th division Midlands in at step three will not solve many problems. It will do nothing for the clubs in the south west quarter of England, and if all Midlands based teams are used for the Midland division that means what is left becomes the Southern (south west) section and clubs have to be added to that to balance the numbers. We may well be looking at clubs from inside the M25 travelling to the far west and clubs like Oxford City, Banbury and even Brackley could end up in the southern (south west) section and have more journeys west when they are only 1 hour or less from many of the Midlands clubs. If you put the 16/17 most south westly clubs at step 3 in a list and the 16 / 17 most central clubs at step 3 this season in a list a number would appear in both lists. And I'm sure the 5 or 6 clubs that would have to transfer out of the Isthmian League would not be happy.

Don't think a 'traditional' Midland Division being thoughtlessly appended at Step 3 would do very much good at all... however, were the SL recast to cover the M4/M5 thoroughfares and immediate hinterlands - then a new Division covering the East-of-M42 region might well do the business.
Naturally, Isthmian and NPL areas would also suffer some alteration/erosion to fit and one might anticipate the E.Mids./Isthmian border to close toward the Thames, whilst the redrawn SL/NPL border would likely take in all of Brum. and environs. This would likely produce a Humber-Cannock line of Southern demarcation for the NPL.

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

(This post was edited by vienna1964 on Dec 28, 2008, 8:06 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 30, 2008, 1:06 PM

Post #7 of 9 (4544 views)
Shortcut

See this thread:
http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

Ashton49Pieman
Junior Team Regular

Dec 30, 2008, 7:43 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Restructuring [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I appreciate the other views on this subject. My main point with the FA suggestion of 1,2,4.8,16 was that a more structured promotion and relegation system could be applied. So if a North/South dividing line of say The Wash across to the Severn following county boundaries -North and Midlands (8) above the line and South and South East ( 8) below - so that with very few exceptions clubs would be in one or other section.permanently And the sections would each be of similar sizes geographically. It may be necessary to vary the number of clubs in each division - at each level to begin with but it would also keep more clubs in their old league catchment areas. And historically, when a new laegue or set up is started even with a shortfall , there are usually enough ambitious lower league clubs that want to those gaps.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2008, 10:48 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #9 of 9 (4263 views)
Shortcut

The imbalances at Step 2 are at least as much to do with the teams coming down from the Conference as they are the number of Midlands based SLP teams. Last season, 4 Northern based clubs came down, this year there could be more South than North. So even on a 1-2-4-8-16, you would still have a Bishops Stortford move into the Conference North section, if it finished as is.

EDIT: Pieman, are you worried about who you might be playing next year, after getting into the play-off positions?Wink

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
12/10 FC UNited v Buxton
15/10 FC United v Basford United
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3