Northern League Downgrading

Mr Merryweather
Deleted

Dec 14, 2008, 3:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 21 (5677 views)
Shortcut
Northern League Downgrading Can't Post or

I was having a snifter or two in The Black Beagle after a good day's hunting with the Tynedale pack when one of our football chaps asked me if I was aware of the hounding of the Northern League by the Football Association.
I told him that I hadn't so he related the following:-

According to the "big man" the FA have become so fed up with the NL not toeing the party line that they have decided, as from next season, to downgrade the NL to Step 6 and Step 7. In order for this vengence exercise to look acceptable the ground grading inspectors have gone around and downgraded all NL grounds so as that they will not conform with Step 5 regulations.

I told my friend that this was silly as by using these standards they would wipe the Essex Senior League off the map. He told me this was the case.

Now, I happen to know that Mr Appleby at the FA reads postings on this site. Therefore, Mr Appleby, will you please tell me that this story is untrue.

Mike Frenzy
Youth Team Sub

Dec 14, 2008, 3:43 PM

Post #2 of 21 (5674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr Merryweather] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not surprised to see the words silly, ground grading and FA used together. Par for the course these days and not a situation to make me optimistic for the future.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 14, 2008, 6:46 PM

Post #3 of 21 (5609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr Merryweather] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd be surprised if Mr Appleby were prepared to discuss a matter like that on an open forum like this. Who exactly are the 'football chaps'?

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 14, 2008, 6:47 PM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #4 of 21 (5608 views)
Shortcut

Surely if they had gone around all of the grounds that would have been reported on here by a person from one of the clubs involved.

Russell
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post #5 of 21 (5494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not true. The Northern League clubs have actually been given extra time to get their grounds up to scratch according to this report...

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/...e=FULL&nid=54173

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2008, 12:23 PM

Post #6 of 21 (5477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not true. The Northern League clubs have actually been given extra time to get their grounds up to scratch according to this report...

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/...e=FULL&nid=54173

It's not just the Northern League - all NCEL clubs have received a similar communication from their league management committee. However, step 5 (i.e. Premier Division) clubs have only until March 2009 to bring their grounds up to scratch. The reason for the year's grace at step 6 is because requirements for the G grade which they will be required to have are being looked at again.

I take it therefore that this is now countrywide.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2008, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #7 of 21 (5471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I take that to mean all step 5 across the country.
That could put a couple of Kent League clubs in trouble.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2008, 1:52 PM

Post #8 of 21 (5181 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I was having a snifter or two in The Black Beagle after a good day's hunting with the Tynedale pack when one of our football chaps asked me if I was aware of the hounding of the Northern League by the Football Association.
I told him that I hadn't so he related the following:-

According to the "big man" the FA have become so fed up with the NL not toeing the party line that they have decided, as from next season, to downgrade the NL to Step 6 and Step 7. In order for this vengence exercise to look acceptable the ground grading inspectors have gone around and downgraded all NL grounds so as that they will not conform with Step 5 regulations.

I told my friend that this was silly as by using these standards they would wipe the Essex Senior League off the map. He told me this was the case.

Now, I happen to know that Mr Appleby at the FA reads postings on this site. Therefore, Mr Appleby, will you please tell me that this story is untrue.

Excellent idea. Brings step 5 down to 12 divisions without the need for contentious mergers in the SE and teaches the NL a tough lesson. Where do I place my vote?

Geoff
First Team Sub

Dec 18, 2008, 11:12 PM

Post #9 of 21 (5062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Given their record of promoting clubs or rather not doing so (not a criticism, merely an observation) will it really make any practical difference if they are downgraded?

MistaFozz
Deleted

Dec 19, 2008, 12:45 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 21 (5046 views)
Shortcut
Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or

A question.....

What would it achieve by downgrading the NL to Step 6 and 7, I mean, although there is not a great deal of clubs interested in promotion to Step 4 from the NL, but where would leave clubs in the future who shows interest in going up to Step 4. Basically what I am saying, would the FA then have to go about setting up a step 5 league cut from there own cloth in the North East to accomodate this

ladderman

Dec 19, 2008, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #11 of 21 (4944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent idea. Brings step 5 down to 12 divisions without the need for contentious mergers in the SE and teaches the NL a tough lesson. Where do I place my vote?

And the need for only 12 step 5 clubs is ?

VP

Dec 19, 2008, 3:05 PM

Post #12 of 21 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

So that at least the champions of each league are guaranteed a promotion if they want it.

Of course the past has shown that teams not getting the grading or not wanting to go up or teams folding in higher divisions mean that it hasn't been an issue but what if 14 teams with the grading and the wish to go higher win the step 5 leagues this season and there are only 12 gaps for them?
I know the rules state that it'll be decided on points per game but that's very harsh considering every other level of football in the UK is easier to get promoted from. You only have to finish 5th in some divisions to be in with a shout, at step 5 even the team finishing first isn't guaranteed a spot.

I know this argument has been done on here before and people have differing views but I just thought I'd stick my oar in.

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 19, 2008, 3:05 PM)

ladderman

Dec 19, 2008, 4:47 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #13 of 21 (4888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Then increase relegation from step 4, even if it's only to 15 clubs (ie the 20th placed teams in regional division play off).
There's no logic why step 4 is the only step in the FA Trophy part of the pyramid that relegates as many clubs as it promotes.
This is a bottle neck, and illogical one at that, of the FA's making.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2008, 7:16 PM

Post #14 of 21 (4854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Angelic

MistaFozz
Deleted

Feb 8, 2009, 8:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 21 (4164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or

By downgrading or freezing the Northern League out all together, what effect would it have on there Feeders, The Wearside League and Northern Alliance, would they downgraded or frozen out with them......If that ever happened that is

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 8, 2009, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #16 of 21 (4146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozz] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or

My answer to that MistaFozz is that if the Northern League and its clubs don't comply then the Wearside and Northern Alliance Leagues should remain at Step 7, at equal footing. They shouldn't be punished for one league's ignorance and general attitude to the system.

MistaFozz
Deleted

Mar 8, 2009, 2:30 AM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 21 (3691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or

Thats all well and good saying they should stay at step 7, but what what league would they feed into.....they couldn't feed straight into Step 4, so with no step 5/6 divisions, they have nowhere to go.....

My solution to this if the Northern League got frozen out would be to set up a new Step 5/6 League, and Invite any Northern League Clubs to join it, and also invite the better teams in the Wearside League and Northern Alliance to make up the numbers and stick that as the feeder to the Unibond 1(N)

trevor56
Youth Team Regular

Mar 8, 2009, 1:06 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozz] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thats all well and good saying they should stay at step 7, but what what league would they feed into.....they couldn't feed straight into Step 4, so with no step 5/6 divisions, they have nowhere to go.....

My solution to this if the Northern League got frozen out would be to set up a new Step 5/6 League, and Invite any Northern League Clubs to join it, and also invite the better teams in the Wearside League and Northern Alliance to make up the numbers and stick that as the feeder to the Unibond 1(N) and then your back to square one!the northern league won't be frozen out but more likely amalgamating of some leagues such as the n.l. & the n.c.e.l.

Terrierdave
Youth Team Star

Mar 10, 2009, 8:11 AM

Team(s): Nottingham Forest, Bedlington Terriers

Post #19 of 21 (3417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozz] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

My solution to this if the Northern League got frozen out would be to set up a new Step 5/6 League, and Invite any Northern League Clubs to join it, and also invite the better teams in the Wearside League and Northern Alliance to make up the numbers and stick that as the feeder to the Unibond 1(N)

Which will achieve what exactly? It's the Clubs themselves who are not interested in taking progression, not the League stopping them! And the current economic climate now makes it even less liekly that more will follow Durham's path in the forseeable future. At least Durham (and Blue Star before them) have significant investment behind them paying for it all..

Sarumio

Mar 10, 2009, 8:37 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #20 of 21 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terrierdave] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A|re Dunston Federation still all systems go for taking promotion if they finish in the top 2 (which they stand a decent chance of doing)? Would be a shame if they didn't. But I guess alot depends on the existing 2 ex-Northern League clubs already in the Unibond One North...it appears Durham City are going up to the Premier and Newcastle Blue Star may well join them by winning the playoffs - if that happens I assume The Fed will refuse to budge.

Will they go up if Durham are promoted to Unibond Premier but Newcastle Blue Star stay down?
Will the FA or Northern League allow Dunston up if they finish....lets say....3rd?

Terrierdave
Youth Team Star

Mar 10, 2009, 8:43 AM

Team(s): Nottingham Forest, Bedlington Terriers

Post #21 of 21 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Northern League Downgrading [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's irrelevant as Dunston won't go up anyway - they apply on the basis that they will go if they can attract sufficient sponsorship for a 2-3 year period, and that has not been forthcoming so you can forget about Northern League promotion this year.

Dunston are possibly the best run club in our league - many of the committee who started the club in the Sunday Leagues in the 1970's are still in place and they are a model of how to achieve growth without selling your soul to a money man - however, there are limits to progression and like most of our clubs this is as far as we can realistically go.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3