Restructuring in the East

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 1, 2009, 9:38 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #26 of 42 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Clubs in outlying areas will always have more miles to cover, but the least that the the FA can do is ensure that the travelling is evened out as much as possible. For clubs in Ryman North to be clustered like they are while East Anglian clubs face the prospect of trips across the full width of England is a nonsense. The FA need to stop the Isthmian league dictating their own (self-advantaging) catchment area and enforce the obvious logic that East Anglia being partnered with North and East London would be the fairest way to arrange matters.

Hear Hear

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 1, 2009, 9:43 PM

Post #27 of 42 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I completely understand your frustration.

At the moment, not only is it particularly hard for clubs like Lowestoft, Bideford or Whitley Bay to move up the pyramid, but also particularly easy for clubs in some areas to do so. It really isn't a big undertaking for clubs such as Brentwood or Waltham Abbey to move up to more senior levels as the travelling increases little from what are already quite self-contained areas at Step Five. This leads to an even greater concentration of (thinly-supported) clubs around areas already thick with senior clubs. Every year that the Western, Eastern Counties and Northern leagues fail to promote - and most other Step fives do - the more isolated these parts of the country become, and the greater disparity in travelling would be faced by anyone taking the plunge.

Clubs in outlying areas will always have more miles to cover, but the least that the the FA can do is ensure that the travelling is evened out as much as possible. For clubs in Ryman North to be clustered like they are while East Anglian clubs face the prospect of trips across the full width of England is a nonsense. The FA need to stop the Isthmian league dictating their own (self-advantaging) catchment area and enforce the obvious logic that East Anglia being partnered with North and East London would be the fairest way to arrange matters.

I've argued this point on another thread in the restructuring section. While we have this silly notion of 'tradtional catchment areas' the problem will persist. 'Best fit' for league constitutions at each step based on mileage and travel time considerations is the way to go.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Feb 1, 2009, 9:51 PM

Post #28 of 42 (2473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I've argued this point on another thread in the restructuring section. While we have this silly notion of 'tradtional catchment areas' the problem will persist. 'Best fit' for league constitutions at each step based on mileage and travel time considerations is the way to go.

Exactly. That was what we were told was going to be meant by the 'pooling' system at each step, yet each year the leagues seem to carve it up between themselves, leaving a result with no apparent logical basis. I really hope that Lowestoft are putting themselves forward come May, as it may force the FA to step in on the issue.

vienna1964
Deleted

Feb 1, 2009, 10:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #29 of 42 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Not at all ! Keep to the traditional areas say I... now, that means Kettering to Yeovil... does it not ???

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

DC
Ballboy/girl

Feb 1, 2009, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town FC, Ipswich Town FC.

Post #30 of 42 (2453 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I really hope that Lowestoft are putting themselves forward come May, as it may force the FA to step in on the issue.

Apparently Lowestoft will only accept the promotion if the FA brings the East Anglian sides back from the Southern league into the Isthmian league again (or at least let LTFC play in that league should the others decline), they are said to be of the opinion that the costs would far out weigh the benefits. (Leiston are said to be of the same opinion also BTW).

Like someone else posted before, this leaves a club that has often been dubbed a 'sleeping giant' within non-league circles 'treading water' (no disrespect meant to other Step 5 clubs) season after season. After the Vase success last season (which saw over 15,000 LTFC fans at Wembley) the club finally are showing some ambition but due largely to FA mismanagement (yet again it seems at every level!) Lowestofts progression could be thwarted. It would be such a shame particularly when simple logic should surely prevail.(?)

DC
(sorry if I sound like a chronic whinger!)

Short bloke
Junior Team Regular

Feb 1, 2009, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town

Post #31 of 42 (2448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah yes, the old traditional catchment areas argument. North of Colchester & east of Bury St Edmunds have never been anyones traditional territory. If you exclude Norwich City & Ipswich Town no one has ever managed a season at step 4 from the towns of Ipswich & Lowestoft in Suffolk & Norwich & Great Yarmouth in Norfolk. Thats two towns with a 100,000 plus population & two more with over 60,000. It's not as if we're on the tip of Cornwall, we're only a little over 100 miles from London.
I believe our reserves travel is equal to the Ishtmian North average, mind you our reserves crowds are better than a quarter of the Isthmian north clubs.

DC
Ballboy/girl

Feb 9, 2009, 9:00 PM

Post #32 of 42 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Short bloke] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FYI:

I've quizzed the Isthmian League secretary (Bruce Badcock) about Lowestoft's promotion fate should they win the league and the reply was..

'This will be a decision for the FA's Leagues Committee in May, but I would have thought probably the Southern League is currently the most likely option.'

Madness if he's right.
DC.

Short bloke
Junior Team Regular

Feb 9, 2009, 9:37 PM

Post #33 of 42 (2264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DC] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As Bruce lives in Suffolk then perhaps he should be Southern League secretary! Still, we shall keep up the pressure & eventually common sense will prevail (I hope).

DC
Ballboy/girl

May 20, 2009, 2:04 PM

Post #34 of 42 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Short bloke] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the local Lowestoft paper, LTFC are in the Rymans next season...

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/...2011%3A31%3A18%3A847

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 20, 2009, 2:49 PM

Post #35 of 42 (1879 views)
Shortcut

Already noted, DC.

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...orum.cgi?post=172399

Short bloke
Junior Team Regular

May 21, 2009, 2:40 PM

Post #36 of 42 (1646 views)
Shortcut

I am absolutely delighted. A big thank you to Tony kempster & to this web site, without Tony's work on here I am 100% certain we would have been in the Eastern Counties League next season. Thanks Tony from all at Lowestoft Town.

Spacewaster
Junior Team Regular

May 29, 2009, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Palace & Bromley

Post #37 of 42 (1346 views)
Shortcut

So the FA give Lowestoft the Isthmian option they wanted, whilst ensuring they don't get any reward out of it, such as local matches.

Some-one's thinking "That'll teach these uppity Step 5 clubs, won't it?" And in a few years time we'll wonder why the Pyramid has got no East Anglian clubs in it.

Fanatic
First Team Star

May 29, 2009, 2:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #38 of 42 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Spacewaster] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I really can't believe they've put Lowestoft in Isthmian North, but not transferred Sudbury to the same league. Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

vienna1964
Deleted

May 29, 2009, 2:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #39 of 42 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or

Remember that this is only the provisional list. There's plenty of legs left in the idea of them finally deciding on a three-way swap... putting Glocester into IL1N, Worcester back into CS and Lowestoft into CN !!! Crazy

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

SeanM
Youth Team Star

May 29, 2009, 2:39 PM

Team(s): Manchester United (since before Beckham and Buffy!)

Post #40 of 42 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I really can't believe they've put Lowestoft in Isthmian North, but not transferred Sudbury to the same league. Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

It seems that the powers involved (the FA and the Isthmian league) reached a compromise. Considering that the Isthmian league had "played their hand" too early (IMHO) by stating that East Anglian clubs would not be accepted, and Lowestoft had indicated "Isthmian" or refuse promotion, the result was the only alternative for each side to "save face".

From a geographical and economic point of view, Sudbury should have been included. As most compromises go, most are not totally satisfied, and most are not totally unhappy.

“And the sea will grant each man new hope . . . as sleep brings dreams of home.”
-- Christopher Columbus

"Welcome to the New World"
-- Jack Ryan

paul_c
Ballboy/girl

Jun 2, 2009, 11:33 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft, Norwich City

Post #41 of 42 (916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanM] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very interesting interview with Mr Turvey on this link,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/..._Preview_29_05_2009/

Looks like we (Lowestoft) were not wanted by the Southern League so i guess Rymans had their arm twisted to allow us in !!

SeanM
Youth Team Star

Jun 2, 2009, 11:49 PM

Team(s): Manchester United (since before Beckham and Buffy!)

Post #42 of 42 (903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paul_c] Restructuring in the East [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Very interesting interview with Mr Turvey on this link,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/..._Preview_29_05_2009/

Looks like we (Lowestoft) were not wanted by the Southern League so i guess Rymans had their arm twisted to allow us in !!

The interview sounds more of a politicians response in making the best of an awkward situation. I did find the "they (Lowestoft Town) are out of our league ..... rather out of our area" to be a bit of a slip. Cool

Good fortune to you in the coming season!

“And the sea will grant each man new hope . . . as sleep brings dreams of home.”
-- Christopher Columbus

"Welcome to the New World"
-- Jack Ryan

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3