Floodlights at Step 7

kivo
First Team Regular

Dec 10, 2008, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 6 (3969 views)
Shortcut
Floodlights at Step 7 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am I right in thinking that the Central Midlands League is the only league to make floodlights mandatory at Step 7? I know the leagues themselves have the final say on the matter but I believe the FA should intervene, there's no way clubs as fard down the ladder as Step 7 should 'need' lights. There are many clubs in the CMFL who will never be able to afford them, and it just wouldn't be practical to get them installed - I know people would argue that it's all about getting teams prepared for playing at Step 6, but it shouldn't be forced upon teams.

If a team wins promotion from Step 7 then fair enough, they should need lights to enter Step 6, but it's ridiculous to suggest (IMO), that a team cannot enter Step 7 without lights.

(This post was edited by kivo on Dec 10, 2008, 2:51 PM)

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Dec 10, 2008, 4:01 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Floodlights at Step 7 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Kivo

I suspect your complaint has something to do with Kiveton Park not being able to get lights so there may be an axe to grind. I'm not without sympathy though.

In reality step 7 leagues have such a wide variety of standards, and to some extent that will be down to the number of clubs in a given area. In areas where there are a lot of clubs then some who would be step 6 in another region (where even step 6 is not fully floodlit) get pushed down to step 7 in their own locality. The knock on is that in these areas, until ground gradings at this level are standardised, the demands made of clubs in step 7 leagues will be higher, and therefore that clubs such as your own can never hope to meet the criteria. If you wanted to play step 7 in, say, rural East Anglia you would not have a problem. Having said that, I don't know why Kivo can't get lights - you have a great stadium otherwise, especially by 'step 8' standards.

There is another point to be taken into account too, and that is the catchment area of any given step 7 league. If, as in the CML, travelling distances are greater, then there is a need for lights so that away teams don't have to leave early with sides weakened by players who can't finish work early to travel long distances for a 6pm kick-off in the very early or late season - thereby giving the unlit home club with a full strength team an unfair advantage.

The CML is not the only step 7 league which insists on lights by any means - so does the Leicestershire Senior, and I guess there are others too.

(This post was edited by rainworthgord on Dec 10, 2008, 4:03 PM)

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 10, 2008, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #3 of 6 (3918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Floodlights at Step 7 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi Kivo

I suspect your complaint has something to do with Kiveton Park not being able to get lights so there may be an axe to grind. I'm not without sympathy though.

In reality step 7 leagues have such a wide variety of standards, and to some extent that will be down to the number of clubs in a given area. In areas where there are a lot of clubs then some who would be step 6 in another region (where even step 6 is not fully floodlit) get pushed down to step 7 in their own locality. The knock on is that in these areas, until ground gradings at this level are standardised, the demands made of clubs in step 7 leagues will be higher, and therefore that clubs such as your own can never hope to meet the criteria. If you wanted to play step 7 in, say, rural East Anglia you would not have a problem. Having said that, I don't know why Kivo can't get lights - you have a great stadium otherwise, especially by 'step 8' standards.

There is another point to be taken into account too, and that is the catchment area of any given step 7 league. If, as in the CML, travelling distances are greater, then there is a need for lights so that away teams don't have to leave early with sides weakened by players who can't finish work early to travel long distances for a 6pm kick-off in the very early or late season - thereby giving the unlit home club with a full strength team an unfair advantage.

The CML is not the only step 7 league which insists on lights by any means - so does the Leicestershire Senior, and I guess there are others too.

I think they are the only two actually!

And i agree with Kivo, you can make all the excuses and reasons in the world Rainworthgord, but you will not convince me that the CML Supreme or LSL Premier have any reason whatsoever to be all floodlit. Its insanity to demand it at this level! The LSL made a mockery of playing football on the pitch last season by promoting the bottom 2 of their Division One to the Premier Division just because they had lights!

Why the LSL season was played at all last season is anyone's guess, when you see Lutterworth Town and Earl Shilton Albion a division below Cottesmore Amateurs this season! They may well have just created a list of clubs in order of facilities and published that as a table at the end of April instead of going through the tediousness of actually playing football for 9 months! And then the super smart LSL opted for a Step 7 Premier Division of just 14 team, negating the need for floodlights and midweek matches! Get your head around that one.

The CML wasn't a lot better with their Step 8-Step 7 promotions last season - what the hell are Harworth Colliery Institute doing in the Supreme Division this season when they finished 17th in the Premier last season? And don;t get me started on where Harrowby United magically appeared from...

I can understand the promotion of lowly Appleby Frodingham, Greenwood Meadows and Grimsby Borough to Step 6 as they had lights and you should have lights for Step 6. The story at Step 7 is completely different, or at least it should be and what these two leagues did last season made a mockery of 9 months of clubs slogging it out on the pitch!

They both need reality checks and TO face the ultimate truth (that they seem to be denying to themselves) that they are Step 7 - SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN! Not 6. Not 6 and a half - SEVEN! LIGHTS SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED!

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Dec 10, 2008, 11:55 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #4 of 6 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Floodlights at Step 7 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When we get the Midlands Premier at Step 3, then all the midlands teams will be elevated a step, so these teams will be at step 6.

They are just making sure they are ready. WinkWinkWink

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2008, 12:07 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #5 of 6 (3801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Floodlights at Step 7 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
When we get the Midlands Premier at Step 3, then all the midlands teams will be elevated a step, so these teams will be at step 6.

They are just making sure they are ready. WinkWinkWink

Record.....broken.....Wink

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2008, 3:56 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Floodlights at Step 7 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sarumio, I did say I had some sympathy with Kivo's point of view. I am inclined to agree that step 7 SHOULD NOT normally need lights, and the reason for the original demand in the CML was that it had step 6 aspirations and therefore insisted on lights to support its case. Once the 'better' clubs left to join the EMCL then maybe lights should not have been as necessary.

But the point remains, and you have not answered it, about the CML's large catchment area and the unfairness in those circumstances of clubs having to travel long distances (in their terms) with weakened sides because players can't get off work early enough to travel. When Rainworth were in the CML we suffered from this and lost a few games we might have been expected to win with a full side, while clubs without lights coming to us for a midweeker were not subject to the same handicap.

Now had the CML been able to go ahead with two regionalised divisions as was planned (and as I believe it should), then lights would no longer have been a requirement, although of course that would have left those clubs who have worked hard to comply with the rule and get them jumping up and down. The step 8 clubs by and large hadn't got them anyway and travelling distances would have been appreciably shorter. As it is, the league's catchment area for step 7 and 8 is far too great (Derby to Hull) as I'm sure you will agree, but the step 8 division at least is small enough numerically not to really need midweek travelling.

At the end of the day, when nationally consistent grading is introduced for step 7 lights will almost certainly not be a requirement. Until then, leagues will make their own demands to suit their particular circumstances.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3