Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Villareal

Veteran
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 13, 2008, 5:09 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Villareal Can't Post or

On Weds 12 November took advantage of a couple of days' holiday left , very cheap flight from Paddy's Airways to Gerona, and the opportunity to tick a ground where tickets etc. might sometimes be problematic, and so headed for :

Copa Del Rey (1/16 Finals as the Spanish quaintly describe them) Second Leg Villareal 1 Polideportivo Ejido 1 (agg 1-6 !!). Crowd allegedly 10K but looked a little less. "Proper size" prgramme given away free.

Villareal's El Madrigal stadium is in a fairly grotty area with tight narrow streets and some rough looking characters so I had to park the hire car carefully ! Tickets for this tie were a bargain after Villareal's humiliation in the way leg a couple of weeks ago - I got in for 10 euros and had superb seat in the main stand. The Stadium itself is quite impressive - four different stands with different elevations and one huge high stand at one end. What I like about it is that, with no running track etc., the stands are very close to the pitch and even half full it occasionally generated a reasonable atmosphere.

I am not quite sure what happened in the first leg as my Spanish is abysmal but it appears Villareal, fielding what looks like mainly "squad players" underestimated their opponents from the Third Division, which for some reason is called Segunda B ! Most of the previews seemed to suggest they would "go for it" in this match and have a serious attempt at overturning the deficit and indeed they did start very strongly but, despite many neat flicks, backheels etc. the Amarillos could find the way past Ejido's excellent defence. Just before half time they built up a real head of steam but one long shot grazing the bar was all they had to show for it and really with the first half goalless the game was all over. The second half was incident packed though as Ejido, who had shown a couple of times they were capable of incisive breaks, produced a superb move for their speedy winger Juli to cross for first leg hat-trick hero Molina to flick into the net and put them 6 up on aggregate. Villareal equalised almost immediately with another good move but could not add to thier tally, even when Ejido went down to 10 men. The visitors should really have won the game as they missed a late penalty, which also saw Villareal reduced to 10, but fully deserved to progress and join Royal Union Irun who beat Real Madrid the previous night on away goals. A few well known maes in the home side e. g. a very wooden looking Cygan, Edmilson and Robert Pires who warmed the bench for the whole match !

(This post was edited by Veteran on Nov 13, 2008, 5:09 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2008, 9:33 PM

Post #2 of 8 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Villareal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1/16 Finals as the Spanish quaintly describe them
I actually prefer this numbering system as you can immediately tell what stage the competition is at. With the British system Round 2 could have 4 games, 64 games or various numbers inbetween, depending on the competition.

How did you get from the airport to Villareal by the way?

Veteran

Nov 13, 2008, 9:46 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Villareal [In reply to] Can't Post or

Oh, dear, Mick - you have failed your comprehension test (that's taking me back a bit) ! As David Frost used to say the clues are there - in this case the rather large and obvious one : "I had to park the hire car carefully". I had all day to get there and all night to get back so I managed largely to avoid the motorway with its swingeing tolls and just used main roads.

This has now set me off on one - why the H*ll don't we charge foreign drivers to use our roads ? - nearly everyone else charges, whether it's us or other foreigners or locals.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2008, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 8 (1066 views)
Shortcut

Oh dear, indeed ... I blame it on this heavy cold I have got ... either that or old ageCrazy

Richard Rundle

Nov 14, 2008, 7:09 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1047 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This has now set me off on one - why the H*ll don't we charge foreign drivers to use our roads ? - nearly everyone else charges, whether it's us or other foreigners or locals.

Because then we'd have to pay the tolls as well?

Road pricing as an idea comes up every few years, with the exception of certain parts of the network (M6 Toll, Severn and Tamar bridges) etc., it never gets introduced. I'm quite glad in a way as a relatively high mileage user, I'd probably be paying more under tolls than I do at the moment.

--
Richard

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Nov 18, 2008, 4:04 AM

Post #6 of 8 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Villareal [In reply to] Can't Post or

10 euros is a very good price for a match involving a team of that standing, regardless of the fact that the outcome was all but assured.

On Sunday I was in Almeria with the intention of taking in the match against Mallorca. I was dropped off at the ground about 45 minutes before kick off, sauntered to the ticket 'office' (in truth it was a concrete shack that would be more suited for use as an outhouse), saw that the cheapest entrance was 45 euros and promptly wandered off to a bar in the city centre. Other tickets were available at 70 and 95 euros.

Is 45 euros a standard-ish price for a Primera match between two dawdling mid-table teams? I was expecting to pay 25 euros at the most to be honest, but having never been to a Spanish game before perhaps I was a bit naive.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Veteran

Nov 18, 2008, 11:55 AM

Post #7 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Villareal [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because then we'd have to pay the tolls as well?

Road pricing as an idea comes up every few years, with the exception of certain parts of the network (M6 Toll, Severn and Tamar bridges) etc., it never gets introduced. I'm quite glad in a way as a relatively high mileage user, I'd probably be paying more under tolls than I do at the moment.

--
Richard

We already pay road tax - why not charge foreign vehicles for a carnet as they do in countries like Austria nd Switzerland ?

As a high mileage driver I am also vehemently opposed to road pricing and despite the best efforts of the road signage and my SatNav I avoid the M6 Toll Road like the plague ! And whilst it is not always sensible to avoid the Dartford Crossing toll now it has gone up by 50% I shall certainly look more closely whether I should help to clog up the Blackwall Tunnel (for instance) instead.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 18, 2008, 12:45 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 8 (928 views)
Shortcut

Veteran - it would not be legal to charge foreign vehicles only for the carnet. Swiss and Austrian drivers also have to pay for ticket in their own country. These tickets are for motorway use only. The German motorways have tolls for heavy vehicles only.

Whereas it would be illegal to make a charge on foreign vehicles only, it is quite possible to introduce a charge, but then decrease the cost of the road tax licence to make it financial neutral to British drivers.

Surely 45 Euro is not a surprise at Villareal - it would cost the same in the ENglish Premier, wouldn't it?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3