Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15

Surrey
Junior Team Star

Oct 23, 2008, 6:36 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2797 views)
Shortcut
Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am looking a this potential double on Nov 15 - does anyone have any knowledge of bus/coach services in the area? Train services don't help much - kick offs are 1.30 & 7.00 respectively but despite the relative proximity (75 miles est.) it doesn't seem possible by train.

Thanks.

Wickite
Junior Team Star

Oct 24, 2008, 12:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 9 (2764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surrey] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did you look at the German railway site www.bahn.de?
You might just make it if the grounds aren't too far from the station.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 24, 2008, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 9 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surrey] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wouldn't advise it unless you have a car, as the train does not arrive in Nancy until 6.51pm. (I'm surprised that Nancy are kicking off at 7pm as 8pm is a more usual time.) Nancy's ground is some 3 miles east of the station in the suburb of Tomblaine.

There is however an excellent alternative, if you don't mind watching 'Honneur' level football in France - Forbach v. Sarreguemines (local derby in the Lorraine 'Honneur') at 8pm.
See www.fff.fr for ground address but make sure you re-check date and ko much nearer the time. You can actually walk across the border from one match to the other and still have time for a meal in between the two!

KnowYourMarket

Oct 24, 2008, 4:05 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #4 of 9 (2714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or you could be sensible and catch either the train or bus for about 4 which run regularly. Chris's alternative is just a mere 12km walk!

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by modelhobbies on Oct 24, 2008, 4:06 PM)

Chris1963

Oct 24, 2008, 4:25 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought the distance was actually only about 8-9 km (5-6 miles at the most) but if you've been measuring it carefully, I bow to your superior knowledge. In any case, I wasn't suggesting that anyone should actually walk between the two, I was only trying to illustrate how close the two are, given that they are in different countries.
Mind you, train fares can be expensive if you are crossing any border and a local bus is the best way of doing so.

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 24, 2008, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Wolves / Groundhopper

Post #6 of 9 (2695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think all French top division games are 19-00 every weekend this season in order to accomodate a regular Saturday night TV game at 21-00

Surrey
Junior Team Star

Oct 25, 2008, 12:16 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abbswolf] Saarbrucken & Nancy Nov 15 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I'll have to give this double a miss. Will have to see what other doubles are on offer that day elsewhere instead.

Chris1963

Oct 25, 2008, 10:09 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2659 views)
Shortcut

I presume you're not interested in Forbach then, but I hope you find another double elsewhere.

Surrey
Junior Team Star

Oct 29, 2008, 6:35 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2591 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I presume you're not interested in Forbach then, but I hope you find another double elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip Chris but French Division 6 is a bit lower down than I am looking for at the moment.

In any event, my planned Friday fixture at Metz is now moved to the Monday so I've now planned Ulm (Fri), Stuttgart (Sat) and Furth (Sun) instead - sadly no doubles but maybe next time!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3