Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Games: Brain Teasers:
Hat-trick at every level

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2008, 6:16 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #1 of 12 (12404 views)
Shortcut
Hat-trick at every level Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quiz question in the Meir KA programme was

Which current player has scored a hat-trick in each of the Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2, FA Cup, League Cup and for his country.

I wouldn't have had a clue, but do any of you?

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 16, 2008, 7:22 AM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #2 of 12 (12403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Robert Earnshaw was the first name who came to mind. Just checked Wiki and that is in agreement. Listing them as:

Code
Premiership, West Brom vs Charlton, 19 March 2005 
Division 1, Cardiff vs Gillingham, 19 September 2003
Division 2, Cardiff vs Q.P.R., 29 November 2002 and Tranmere March 14, 2003
Division 3, Cardiff vs Torquay United, 12 February 2000
FA Cup, Cardiff vs Bristol Rovers, 19 November 2000
League Cup, Cardiff vs Boston United, 11 September 2002, and Leyton Orient, August 12, 2003
International, Wales vs Scotland, 18 February 2004

The list of Premiership down to League 2 and country does narrow it down quite a lot, and he was just about the only player who seemed to fit reallistically.

(This post was edited by Dr Love on Oct 16, 2008, 7:23 AM)

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2008, 6:28 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #3 of 12 (12375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am very impressed at your quick response - another sign of your great wisdom in addition to the other clue in your choice of team to support. Perhaps we will meet up on Sat morning at Kodak???

I was a bit dubious about how accurate the quiz was because another question was 'What is the largest city never to have a Football League team?', and the answer they gave was Workington. I don't believe Workington is a City, and they have certainly had a football league team, albeit not for nigh on 30 years.

I thought the correct answer may have been Winchester?????

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 16, 2008, 7:56 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 12 (12367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am very impressed at your quick response - another sign of your great wisdom in addition to the other clue in your choice of team to support. Perhaps we will meet up on Sat morning at Kodak???

I was a bit dubious about how accurate the quiz was because another question was 'What is the largest city never to have a Football League team?', and the answer they gave was Workington. I don't believe Workington is a City, and they have certainly had a football league team, albeit not for nigh on 30 years.

I thought the correct answer may have been Winchester?????

Guildford?

jrev61

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 16, 2008, 9:33 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 12 (12361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I reckon it's Wakefield.

VP

Oct 17, 2008, 6:20 PM

Post #6 of 12 (12321 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I was a bit dubious about how accurate the quiz was because another question was 'What is the largest city never to have a Football League team?', and the answer they gave was Workington.

I'm going for Winchester as well. It's 660.97 kmē

Wakefield is only 338.61 kmē

Source:- http://en.wikipedia.org/...sh_districts_by_area

Guildford still isn't a city. They've applied a few times but haven't yet got the nod.

(This post was edited by VP on Oct 17, 2008, 6:27 PM)

buncranaboy

Oct 18, 2008, 7:33 PM

Post #7 of 12 (12281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well that's an interestimg slant on what constitutes the biggest city - most people tend to go by population, which in this instance is Winchester 40,000 and Wakefield 76,886. Each to their own but I tend to think the question was posed with relation to centres of population rather than acreage !

acmold

Oct 24, 2008, 1:03 PM

Post #8 of 12 (12071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or

Gloucester

VP

Oct 24, 2008, 11:01 PM

Post #9 of 12 (12047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Gloucester

Bless you.

MolineuxPhil
Youth Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Everton Wolves.

Post #10 of 12 (7154 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Which current player has scored a hat-trick in each of the Premiership, Championship, League 1, League 2, FA Cup, League Cup and for his country.

The late Derek Dougan scored hat-tricks in the First ,Second, Third Divisions F.A.Cup, League Cup & Northern Ireland International......and to date is the only Wolves player to score a hat -trick in a major Euro comp. Some record me thinks.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Feb 15, 2012, 10:07 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #11 of 12 (6386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MolineuxPhil] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The late Derek Dougan scored hat-tricks in the First ,Second, Third Divisions F.A.Cup, League Cup & Northern Ireland International......and to date is the only Wolves player to score a hat -trick in a major Euro comp. Some record me thinks.

You expect somebody else to do it at some stage...?

buncranaboy

Feb 16, 2012, 1:39 PM

Post #12 of 12 (6363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Hat-trick at every level [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You expect somebody else to do it at some stage...?

I fully expect to see more Wolves players scoring Second and Third Division hat-tricks Tongue

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3