Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 11, 2008, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 26 (6812 views)
Shortcut
Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October Can't Post or Reply Privately

I mentioned this in the 'old' threads, but have decided to publish my itinerary again.
Firstly, I have a few changes. With more football, & one less ice hockey match.
Secondly, I'd welcome any info on places I haven't been to.
Thirdly, I hope to update daily, as the basic hostel I'm based at in Prague has free internet access ,albeit not the fastest system. But hey, at that price.. ;-)

Wednesday 22nd: Arrive at Prague airport 9.20am, if on time.
Hope to get to Sezimovo Usti v. Slavia Prague, Czech FA Cup, 3.30pm kick off.

Thursday 23rd: No football :-(
But ice hockey, top flight. BK Mlada Boleslav v. Bili Tygri Liberec. 5.05pm

Friday 24th-my birthday!: Football second division: SK Siad Most v. Trinec 5.00pm

Saturday 25th-all football:

10.15am- SK Uhelne Sklady v. Vysehrad B. Prague League A1A division (regional level five, I think)

2.30pm- Sokol Nebusice v. Dablice. Prague League A2B (regional level six, I think)

5.00pm- Sparta Prague v. Pribram. First division. Have been here before, may miss kick off, depending on how far away the previous match is.

Sunday 26th-all football:

10.15am-FC Prodni Kopanina v. Aritma. Prague League A1A division.

2.30pm- FC Cechie Uhrineves v. Dukla B. Prague League A1A division.

5.00pm-Bohemians 1905 v. Jihlava. Second Division. Have been here before. Again, may miss kick off,depending on how far away the previous match is. Even if I can only make the second half, due to Sunday public transport services, I will go for it!

Monday 27th-football:

Mlada Boleslav v. Slavia Prague. 5.15pm. First Division.

Tuesday 28th-ice hockey:

HC Moeller Pardubice v. HC Znoje Msti Orli. 6.00pm.

Wednesday 29th-football:

FC Hradec Kralove v. FK Teplice. Czech Cup. 5.00pm.
(Or if I am running short of money Bohemians Praha v. Sparta Praha, which is at the same time, presumably at Viktoria Zizkov, whose ground I have been to already)

Thursday 30th:

Fly home in the evening. So whole day in Prague. If not raining I will drop my bag off at the left luggage at the airport, in the morning. Then go back into town, with my maps, to find some local grounds to snap. If raining I will visit some museuems and galleries indoors!

I've had some PM-ing with regular poster Sigma on here, and he has given me some useful info on other grounds &/or clubs in the towns I am visiting away from Prague, so I will try to snap some empty stadiums too. Big thank you to him. Much more than I expected!

So you can all look forward to a 'Czech Republic special' in my grounds photoblog when I get back! ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

(This post was edited by Mishi on Oct 11, 2008, 1:00 PM)

andysanktpauli
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 12, 2008, 4:41 PM

Team(s): Ramsgate,FC St Pauli,Tranmere Rovers

Post #2 of 26 (6753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mishi,
Sounds like a good trip.

I spent last weekend in Prague and managed to get to
Dukla,CAFC Praha,Motorlet Praha, Meteor VIII &
Bohemians @ Zizkov.

Reading some of your earlier posts were of great assistance
in planning my trip and hope you have a good 'un.

Enjoyed your recent pics as well.

Grounds Visited; 977

Last ground, Peckham Town, Menace Arena
Peckham Town 3 Metrogas 0

Mishi

Oct 12, 2008, 8:17 PM

Post #3 of 26 (6734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andysanktpauli] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You b******! ;-)

I've been trying to get a Dukla home game for years, and they've been away on every visit! :-(

I haven't seen CAFA Praha. What's that ground like?
Motorlet I enjoyed last year, and Meteor VIII I've looked at the ground, but not seen a game. I loved their old wooden stand, split into terrace & benches.
I've seen games at Zizkov twice. I must go up the nearby television tower this trip, and get a snap of it from up there!

Thanks for your kind comments. Expect lots more ground photos from the Czech Republic on my blog, whenever I get time to sort them out & upload them, sometime in November(ish!)

Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]

Sigma
Deleted

Oct 13, 2008, 9:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 26 (6687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

Looks like you have Saturday, October 25th all booked up, but I'll throw this one out there anyway.

The Czech Republic women's team will play Italy at 14:30 on October 25th. According to the link, the game will be played Horní Pocernice, which is on out skirts of Prague. I believe it is where Xaverov played.

http://www.fotbal.cz/scripts/modules/diary/default.php

I'll take a further look this weekend to see if there are any other grounds of interest in the places you'll be visiting.

Also, be aware that October 28th is a national holiday - celebrating the establishment of an independent Czechoslovakia. Some things may be closed. Trains will also run on a Sunday schedule (I believe), but idos.cz give you all of the proper times for that day. On that day you'll see lots of flowers underneath the various statues of Masaryk. There were also be many Czech flags outside of government buildings, schools etc. It is quite nice because this is the only time you'll see Czech flags displayed so prominently in public. Schools are also closed on the 27th, and 29th, but I don't think those dates are official holidays, so normal service (trains, stores) might resume. I can't remember from last year.... Blush

If you are slightly bored, and looking for something to do on Tuesday morning on October 28th there is a Czech 4th division hockey game scheduled. Kobra Praha "B" vs HC Bohemians Praha at 11:00am.

moravianfootball.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by Sigma on Oct 13, 2008, 9:55 PM)

Mishi

Oct 15, 2008, 7:36 PM

Post #5 of 26 (6632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sigma] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you Sigma. Your info on here, & in PM's, have been a great help!
With regard to Horni Pocernice, I saw Xaverov play there in October 2004. The game does appeal, but i'll stick to the one I've chosen, as it's one I haven't been to.
Guess work from me now! Last season Bohemians Praha (the 'new' one) were playing at Xaverov. This year they appear to be at Viktoria Zizkov. From glancing at various websites Viktoria Zizkov B seem to stage home games now at Xaverov! There is a main pitch there, with an all weather one behind, which has a few steps of terrace (one ot two) if memory is right. Not sure which one Zizkov B use.
Up on the Hill there is the big old TC Strahov, the Sparta training ground, where I saw their B side play last season, when the main AXA stadium is not available. Their website appears to show that their 'secondary' ground for B matches this season is the Evzena Rosickeho stadium next door. Which is where Slavia played for the last few years, while their Eden stadium was demolished & rebuilt. It was also home to Sparta Krc when they were in the second division, but they appear to be back in their own home, now theyr'e back down.
Slavia B, meanwhile, appear to be at Pratelstvi stadium, which is a small ground with a running track, just behind the Evzena Rosickeho stadium, so there's three venues right next to each other! I think I've got that correct.... ;-)

Thank you, I was aware the 28th is a holiday. I was planning to get to Pardibice early, as I'll be watching hockey there that night, but will leave a little later now. I plan to visit the Prague Transport musuem, which is only open at weekends & holidays. And I tend to be busy with football at wekends in Prague! ;-)

Thank you for the 4th Division hockey fixture. I saw Kobra Praha first team last season. I have not heard of HC Bohemians Praha. I have not found anything below 3rd Division/level hockey on the internet. Do you know of any links for 4th division & below. I'm particularly interested in hockey venues in Prague that are NOT at the four main rinks. Local 'recreational' teams that are in smaller rinks, that might play at 'strange' times after public skating sessions perhaps? (Say 8 or 9 o'clock face offs on weekend evenings) Or Junior/womens teams at the same time. Don't go out of your way to search, I realise you might not have any interest in hockey, but if you know anyone who does & can obviously navigate through the 'mess' that is the Czech language... ;-)

Anyway, once again ,a BIG thank you for all your help!

Noah's Dad
First Team Sub

Oct 15, 2008, 11:44 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex, Bury Town, Ipswich Town, Spanish football, Groundhopper

Post #6 of 26 (6608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks like an excellent trip you have planned Mishi. I shall be visiting Prague early next year and although I have yet to work out an itinery, there is one stadium I am particularly keen to watch a match at and that's the Strahov Stadium up on Petrin Hill. I believe it's still the biggest sports stadium in the world (although I could be wrong on that) and by all accounts over six football pitches have been squeezed in. I know last year Sparta B were using one of the pitches - some photos of this remarkable old place can be seen below. Anyway, if you do find out anything about matches taking place up there I'd be intersted to here from you mate...enjoy!

http://www.turistika.cz/...ahovsky-stadion.html

2019/20 new grounds: 6 Matches: 8
Total grounds: 2,266

Last game: WHU 0 Man City 5 19.8.19

(This post was edited by Noah's Dad on Oct 15, 2008, 11:48 PM)

Mishi

Oct 16, 2008, 12:22 AM

Post #7 of 26 (6604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Noah's Dad] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was fortunate enough to see a match there-actually Sparta B versus Slavia B- on my trip there last year!

From what I can garner the B team don't use this venue, according to the Sparta website. But lots of their junior sides play there on Sunday mornings, listed on the Sparta website.

It is quite simply one of the weirdest & most amazing venues I've seen a match in!

Here is a link to the photos I took:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/.../blog-post_3531.html

Sigma
Deleted

Oct 18, 2008, 8:30 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 26 (6534 views)
Shortcut

A few games that are to be played during your visit have been switched.

Czech Cup 4th round - Tuesday, October 28th - Sigma Olomouc vs Slovan Liberec 18:00
Gambrinus Liga - Friday, October 24th - Sigma Olomouc vs Slovan Liberec 17:00

Here is a link to HC Bohemians:
http://hcbohemians.cz/

The website also lists the other hockey clubs in the Prague region 4th division. HC Bohemians and Sokol Zizkov both play at Nikolajka - http://hcbohemians.cz/stadion.php I'm not sure if you have been to this arena before. There are not too many links to 4th division clubs, but I found a link on the CS wikipedia.

Krajske hokejove prebory (4th division):
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krajské_hokejové_přebory (unfortunately this link doesn't past properly)

It doesn't have many actual links, but it does give you club names, even if it is from last year. As a Canadian, I have a natural interest in hockey, even if football is my favourite sport. Wink

(This post was edited by Sigma on Oct 18, 2008, 8:36 AM)

Mishi

Oct 22, 2008, 11:53 PM

Post #9 of 26 (6455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sigma] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I 'started' my holiday yesterday...erm late! I was going to Dulwich Hamlet v. Grays in a 1.00pm friendly at Champion Hill, as my 'appetiser' but I was running a bit late, then my brother rang, and I answered the mobile in the kitchen, forgetting I had the sink running in the bathroom, so I spent my 'football' time with a mop at home! Doh!
I left for Stansted, and got to their ground just before darkness, so got some snaps of their, basically one sided ground, but what a lovely one side! A delightful, old fashioned little wooden stand. And the old boy on the gate was one of the friendliest I met for a long time, probably because they get such small crowds he has the time to, I suppose! An easy 4-1 win for them against Barking, who brought about a dozen fans with them, I didn't count the crowd, but would guess about 35-ish. Which is a lot less than the average age of the visiting Barking fans, the majority of whom are over their half century mark. How sad they must be to see their club struggling near the bottom of the Essex Senior League, as I'm sure they recall FA Cup runs & an Isthmian championship, was it in the late seventies, or just start of the eighties? Fiver to get in, programme a quid, with a black & white snap of the stand on the cover. An easy fifteen minute walk to the ground, a bit uphill on the way there, but not too steep.

I got to Prague this morning & got the coach to Sezimov Usti, third division, who are in the same division as Slavia Praha B. This afternoon the Slavia first team beat them 4-0 in the Czech FA Cup, 3.30pm kick off. An open ground, about half a mile or so from the station at a guess, set on the edge, in a wooded area. It has a disused running track around it, And open/broken bench seating down one side, with the Slavia fans 'segregated' with a flimsy mesh fence down the far end of that side. But there were a number of their fans around the ground too. On the far side was a covered stand, with a bit of grass banking alongside. The dressing rooms were at the end, with the turnstile/ticket block at the corner of this end too. I paid 50 Cz Kc to get in, & it included a small colour programme. (Off the top of my head I can't remember how many pages, I've only about 3 hours kip in the last 24, and can't be bothered to go back into my dorm to check!) The ground certainly wouldn't pass British safety standards, but that's what makes it such a delight, even for a 'running track' ground, albeit a disued & overgrown one. Both sides were fairly full, and some were behind the goal as well, a bit away from the action. I don't know what the crowd was, they may have annouced it, but I'd 'guestimate' just over two thousand.
As a 'bonus' there were posters up advertising the local ice hockey team at 6.00pm. And some sort of flyer in the programme, advertising buses outside going right there! Marvellous! Such is the wonder of new technology I texted a friend, who checked on the net that I could get a train back to Prague after the hockey! The crowd for this I do know, as it flashed up on the scoreboard: 960.
Only 40 Kc to get in there, 5Kc more for a simple 4 page A5 programme, this was Second Division hockey, which, I think, without checking, may be third level. They won 5-2, & luckily I managed to find someone who spoke English, at about the twentieth time of asking, to give me directions to Tabor station. Though I did have a one & a half hour wait for the train! And I can't go and dive into a bar to have a few beers, being a recovering alcoholic! :-(
Still if I was still drinking I wouldn't have the few shekels spare to be out here in the first place, so swings & roundabouts eh! ;-)
It may well be a nice town this Tabor place, I must google it at home, but a quick wander round in the mid evening drizzle didn't do much for me, though the couple that were,erm, rather intimate on the bench in a small park I cut through, weren't put off, & quite steamed up! ;-)

I didn't see any other grounds, and tomorrow, if I can be bothered to travel if it's raining, I'm off to ice hockey, then football in Most on Friday night. So I'll probably type something esle up after that.

Sigma
Deleted

Oct 23, 2008, 6:32 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 26 (6445 views)
Shortcut

Good to hear that you were able to make the football game and to catch an extra hockey game. You are correct the 2nd division in hockey is the 3rd level.

If you ever have problems finding someone who speaks English, you can try to say

Mluvite anglicky (do you speak english)
- kind of pronounced like (mloo-veeteh anglickee)

Nerozumim cesky (I don't understand Czech)

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Oct 23, 2008, 8:04 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #11 of 26 (6442 views)
Shortcut

and if that does nt work just speak louder and point - as someone once said

Jamesie
Deleted

Oct 23, 2008, 11:29 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 26 (6431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
and if that does nt work just speak louder and point - as someone once said

It reminds me of a time whilst in Barcelona when the wife was buying some of those hand-made sandal thingys that were popular round there, the woman who was making them couldn't speak English, the wife couldn't speak Catalunyan / Spanish. So to communicate they started to shout louder at each other in their repective languages "to make the other understand" - all the while a young bloke stood by the till impassive. When (exhausted) they finally got the deal all done and shoes made, the wife walked over to the till with the shoes. The young bloke looked at her and said "is there anything else madam would like?" Apparently the bloke spoke ten languages, but daren't interfere "as Mama gets annoyed when I do"...

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Mishi

Oct 24, 2008, 11:02 PM

Post #13 of 26 (6368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed speak loudly and point! As I did in the town of Most...in tourist information I ended up with a German map to the town, and they spoke to me in kraut! Now my mum may have been from Austria (and in Hitler Youth to boot....it was like the girl guides, honest!) but I am NOT German! I'm hoping they knew I was English but had run out of our little map type town guides, though there wasn't much to see anyway!

I was visiting Most for the Second Division match between Banik Most & Fotbal Trinek, which finished in a 2-2 draw, a somewhat undeserved point for the visitors, if I may humbly say so. The ground was lovely, never thought I'd say that about a running track. But then the track was no longer there, so although you were set back a bit it didn't have the feel of a track ground, if you know what I mean. You'll see when I post the pictures when I get home. It was 50 Czech Kc to get in, and 5 Kc for an 8 page A5 colour programme, strangely folding out into one long page, with three folds.
The ground was all seater, covered along both sides, and open plastic seats behind both goals, thuogh one end was closed. Presumably this is the away end, but there didn't appeat to be any visiting fans, only one or two cheers when they equalised, don't know if they were sporting locals or neutrals, and none when they got the second equaliser. So it was Most who took the lead, 18 on the clock, & it stayed like this til half time. Highlight before this was th main band of Banik Most fans, about 20 of them, who sang & had the flags. They had some sort of protest just after the start, couldn't work out what their banners said, something about souvenirs, maybe they'd been stopped from doing a club ahop, or something, who knows? But a security chap came round and told them to take them down sharpish, and he confiscated them. Most had most of the game, and hould have had the game wrapped up in the second half. In the 70th minute a long range shot hit the bar, and a few minutes later one of them balloooned an atttempt over the bar in front of an open goal, from six yards! A Scotland career beckons? ;-)
We've all been to that sort of game where you know you'll regret those chances, and so it was. With 78 on the clock Trinec equalised, but a minute last Most were back in front! Surely enough to secure the points, but no! A free kick, just outside the box in the dying minutes, and it was 2-2! Time for one last chance up the other end, but their free kick was blasted over the bar, with time for the visiting number five to get a red card.

In the same complex were two other pitches, one had floodlights, unusually only two pylons, in opposite corners, and terracing down one side, and behind the main stadium end goal. The other had nothing but dugouts.

I also looked at a few other grounds, marked on the town map. One was a school playing field. Another a railed off pitch, with a club house & a few benches, but not used for mens football anymore, by the look i\of it, with young kids small sided pitches going across it.
Another was some sort of training ground, maybe for junior Banik Most sides(?) with a track round it, but no aparent terraces, I couldn't get into this one.
The last was a two pitch non-league ground, with seating down one side, looking very new, and open terracing, with park bench style seating along the top of it. I saw a poster advertising their game tomorrow, & though it was in Czech (you don't say!) it appears to be FK Siad Sous versus SK Mondi Packaging Steti, it then said: Krajsky Prebor Usteckeho Krajo, which may, or may not, be the name of the league they play in!

And that was Most!

After the game I saw I stuck my head into the ice rink, which was nearby. A junior game was going on, with the first period just finishing. Unfortunately I couldn't stay, as I had to get back to the station, for my two & half hour train trip back to Prague, leaving time to stop in Tesco to buy some rolls, cheese & salami, as well as my non-alcoholic tipple of coca cola for my evening meal!

So that was how I spent my 42nd birthday!

Mishi

Oct 25, 2008, 10:04 PM

Post #14 of 26 (6348 views)
Shortcut

Well I managed three games today, and what a mix, to say the least!
First up was a game from the A1A (top) division of the local Prague leagues, which I think makes it fifth level. SK Uhelne Sklady Praha v. SK Slavoj Vysehrad B. So that sets me against some of the 'proper hoppers' then...going to see a reserve team! ;-)
I've bought a decent Prague street map at last, a book, rather than a less detailed fold up one, which should last me for a few more trips! Without it i wouldn't have found this ground, despite printing off a map from the internet. But find it I did, with ease. I didn't know what to expect, a railed off pitch, with maybe a small stand, if lucky. Well I was very lucky! An old terrace down one side, with about fifteen steps, the middle section having the clubhouse & changing rooms behind it. In the middle part of the 'terrace' were eight rows, I think it was, of three slat bench seating. The whole terrace, and some of the wooden benches, were a bit worse for wear, but 'character forming' rather than 'shabby'! Behind one goal there was nothing, just a wall. And the other end was open, a concrete path to stand on, which continued a little way down the side, as far as the penalty box. You couldn't go any further along, so couldn't stand behind the dugouts.
It was 20 Kc to get in, with a 12 black & white A5 programme included, bar the colour in the cover, with the club badge on it. The league table told me that the home team were currently 6th, out of sixteen, with Vysehrad second to bottom, with only one win to their name. Clearly a home win was on the cards, & that's ow it turned out, in front of a crowd of about 55, my guestimate. Uhelne Sklady took the lead early on, and extended it, looking comfortably the better side, you could see why the Vysehrad players were stuck in their reserves! Having said that they did reduce the arrears, but there was only one outcome, as Uhelne Sklady restored their lead, before being given a slight fright, as their defence failed to get a tackle in as a visiting player took the ball down the wing, & shot, to score. But a free kick lofted over the box was nodded in to make it a clear 4-2 victory, in a match that was just as entertaining as the one I'd seen at Stansted last Tuesday in the Essex Senior League.
Next up was a change of plan, thanks to my new map, if I wanted to get to Sparta Praha in the evening.
There were no afternoon A1A Prague League games this afternoon, so I dropped a division below, but instead of Sokol Nebusice I saw AFK Olympia Seberov v. Loko Vltavin B. Being 'greedy' for grounds I was initially disappointed when I got off the bus from the Metro, & saw it was a railed off pitch, with no spectator facilities. How selfish! And I realised I had no such thoughts when I went to Worcester Park a couple of seasons ago! This was on an all-weather pitch, their only pitch. It looked quite new, & I think, from a sign in Czech, that it was installed in 2007, '08. There's a railing down one side, with hard standing, dugouts in the middle, and the changing rooms, part of the new pitch development behind, & the old bar set next to that, just behind. No programme, & no admission, I did a rough count, and made it about 25 spectators. The match itself? Hmm....Kent County League standard, I'd say. A 2-2 draw in the end, the finish of which I saw from the bus stop across the road (I could still see both goals!) as the match had kicked off late-by nine minutes!Why?- and just as the final whistle went my bus pulled up! I wouldn't have been too bothered at missing the end, but it's nice to know what the score was! The home side took the lead, with a superb volley that belied the lowly level, though the 'big boot' from the back showed that us English have no monopoly on the long ball, in fact the centre half would have fitted perfectly into the Hamlet Supporters' Team, such was his mastery of it! I lost count of the yellow cards in this match, they were handed out like crackers on christmas day, but only one red card, to one of the Loko side,towards the end of the first period. Star of the first half for me was a rotund number five for the home side, who certainly had a belly on him, but also a fair bit of skill, though he wasn't fit enough to come out for the second half! When Seberov went two up it should have been the proverbial 'game over', but not long before the break they pulled one back, to make for a decent second half, where it was hard to notice they were down to ten men. With about ten minutes left their battling was rewarded with their equaliser.

And so I dashed to Sparta Prague. Home to Pribram. I missed the first few minutes, not helped by roadworks, where trams are diverted from going past the ground. Never mind. I'd been here a few times before, so bought the cheapest ticket, at 100Kc. Only a few pennies more than what I was paying to watch Dulwich Hamlet Reserves last season! The programme was a huge, full colour A4 68 pager for 35Kc. Sparta kindly delayed scoring before I got inside the ground, a penalty, up the other end. Annoyingly my cheap ticket was behind the goal..at the other end! So I had to dash round, missing a couple more minutes! But at least it means I've now been on all four sides of this stadium.Every cloud has a silver lining.. ;-)
The game was practically put beyond doubt, a couple of minutes before half time, which I found funny, as dozens of people missed it, as they buggered off for their half time drinks, food, whatevers! Not half time cigarette mind, you can smoke anywhere...apart from a small section of the ground, in the corner above the scoreboard, that is the official non-smoking area, sponsored by Nicorette!
A third, about ten minutes after the break, wrapped it up. Sadly there were some monkey noises at the visiting black player from the Sparta 'hardcore' section at the other end. It's a while since I've heard that in a ground. A decent enough game to watch, & I was pleased Spartra won, as they are my Czech team, despite their racists, but I doubt it was that enjoyable for the travelling coachload from Pribram. I'm not sure what the crowd was, I understood the word for 'attendance' but not the numbers! ;-) I'd hazard a guess of about three & a half thousand.

So that was three games today, and much more enjoyable than my hardy mates who saw the Hamlet lose by an only goal at Walton & Hersham!

Now I've just got to look at my new map, to see which of the three games is nearest to my five o'clock one tomorrow!

(This post was edited by Mishi on Oct 25, 2008, 10:05 PM)

Sigma
Deleted

Oct 27, 2008, 12:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 26 (6303 views)
Shortcut

I'm enjoying reading your reports Mishi, keep them coming. Smile

You are correct, A1A is the fifth level of football. It is the top level of the Prazsky Prebor (levels 5-8).

Mishi

Oct 28, 2008, 8:37 AM

Post #16 of 26 (6266 views)
Shortcut

Well it's now Tuesday morning...yesterday was a bit of a 'disaster', but Sunday was ok! ;-)

Sunday morning came, and it was a bit of a challenge...I hadn't reckoned with the Prague Sunday service bus timetables! I guess being a Londoner, & never having been a car driver, with no interest in learning, despite being sober, I'm totally spoilt by our superb public transport system in good old London town! Anyway, I decided to catch the Prague A1A league game at FC Predni Kopanina. This is on the edge of Prague, and not far from the airport. I check my, by now not so new, but trusty, map & headed for the end of the green line on the Metro. There are three Metro lines in Prague, A, B & C; all in three colours-red, yellow & green. Plus they cross at three strategic stations in the centre. It's very simple to follow. So I went to Dejvicka, at the end of the line, where I was hoping to get my bus to Predni Kopanina. But...they're about every two hours! And the next one wasn't until after the game started! So I jumped on the 119 bus to the airport, & hoped to pick one up going the other way. No luck, that had gone. It was twenty to ten now. I followed the roads on my map, fairly easy, but not helped by a little morning fog, and these were main roads, with no pavements some of the way. I presumed pedestrians were alowed to walk along the 'hard shoulder'/grass verg, there were no signs indicating no pedestrians, and it wasn't motorway. Anyway, I got away with it! The route was fairly straightforward, though & after taking time at cross junctions rather than panicking & rushing into a left or right, as is easy to do, I got there. It took about forty minutes, which suggests two miles or so. Not bad. The 'town' itself is only a village, & though part of the City of Prague, it's not really to me, as there's fields surrounding it, which makes it a small place in its own right. I checked the bus stop in the 'town'-yess THE bus stop, there's only one!-& I was in luck! The bus back to the centre was at 12.30! I took the small turning up to the ground, and the tannoy was blaring! Marvellous! Call me sad, but isn't there always a 'tingle of excitement' when you're on your way to a match at somewhere completely new? Or is it just me? I'll get my coat... ;-)
I'd wrongly thought it was a 10.30 kick off, it was actually 10.15, and they were a few minutes late, so the whistle was just going as I got through the gate. A bargain 25Kc, with a free colour 12 page A5 programme. This was the first match I've been to where there were some spares lying around after, so I've got a four spare, anyone want one PM me & I'll chuck it in the post.
There was a league table inside,Predni Kopanina were top, & were taking on lowly SK Aritima Praha, who were 14th out of sixteen. Now I'm not a 'proper' groundhopper, so I wasn't unduly concerned when it was 0-0 at half time, if it stayed like that I wasn't not going to 'tick ' the ground that's for sure! Some crazy folk have crazy rules! ;-)
To be honest Predni Kopanani wasted a few chances, but didn't look outstanding top of the table material to me. In fact when they took the lead in the second half I felt a little sorry for Aritima, as they didn't quite deserve to be behind, as it was fairly even to me, but then the home team took control, and ran out 2-0 victors.
It was an open ground, on s bit of a hill, with fields behind. Luckily it wasn't windy, or it would have been freezing, but it was still a bit nippy, as the morning fog took time to clear, the sun only breaking through in the second half. The entrance was behind the goal, with the club bar, changing rooms to the right. There was the 'tea bar' on the open paving in front. Not sure what Czech call 'tea bars'...sausage stalls I suppose. There's a bright red greasy, fatty one called kopassa, or kobassa, or similar! Delicious! With that grilled 'burnt black' taste on the outside! Trust me, it sounds nicer than my description! Walking left as you come in, there's a a childrens playground, and a narrow path, hardstanding down to the corner, and all the way down the side. It has a metal railing, with advertising hoardings down the side. There is a single row of bench seating down the side. You can't get behind the far goal, just netting to prevent the ball going into the field. Narrow open standing on the far side, no benches, with the dug outs, and then back to the open bar end. There's a balcony, where the game is being filmed, and it's wired up, so you watch it 'live' in the restaurant on the first floor! During the break music was played over the sound system,a mix of local, & English language. One of them was that song about a girl called alice... you know the one, ever popular, if you've ever been to a 'Millwall wedding'...
Predni Kopanina play in red & blue stripes, a la Crystal Palace. And having grown up in a 'Millwall manor' I'm not too keen on 'crypled palarse'! So that song about a girl called Alice is always played at 'Millwall weddings' with the entire hall booming 'Palace, Palace! Who the F*** are Palace!' And that's was I was singing at half time today! ;-)
Despite being basic, a delightful little ground, an entertaining enough game, and a thoroughly pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning! The crowd looked around the 120 mark.

From here it was a short wait for the 12.30 bus, to the Metro, then across the whole green line, to the other end, and a bus to Uhrineves, which was the original game I'd picked out after all, I was going to 'gamble' as there were a number of buses going down the road to there. This was also top division local Prague league A1A. They were eleventh, and were taking on second placed Dukla B. This was on the all-weather pitch, & though I'll certainly count it as a proper visit, I'm sure some proper 'hoppers would not, as there was a perfect grass pitch adjacent. I paid my 30 Kc at the 'gate' make that admission table, & was given a ticket. Sadly not a 'personalised' club one, and no programme. Not the end of the world, but still a shame! Again, if I was a proper' hopper I'd have turned round & walked away in disgust! ;-)
The clubhouse/changing room was on the left, and past that was the grass pitch. Railed off, & marked out with goals up, so clearly still used. On the halfway line, on this, the bar side, was a small stand, not right on the touchline, but set back about ten yards. The all-weather pitch was to the right as I walked in, open, with no seats, hard standing all the way round, and railed off, but no terracing. A very one sided match as Dukla B ran out 6-0 winners. Dukla were in light blue shirts, instead of their famous marron, so I've seen one of their teams play in one of their 'famous' Half Man Half Biscuit Dukla Prague away shirts! A 'headcount' of the crowd gave a rough 40 attendance wise.
I decided to miss the last few minutes to make sure I got the bus back to the Metro, to ensure I got my third match of the day!

A top of the table Czech Second Division match: Bohemians 1905 versus FC Vysocina Jihlava. Jihlava top, 25 points-goal difference +6. Bohemians second, 23 points; GD +8! Game on!
I hadn't realised it was a big game, I really should research these things, as you'll find out later!
The ground is a magnificent relic, albeit modernised.
Here are the snaps I took last year:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2008/09/bohemians.html

The great news is that, in my snaps, the traditional home area, behind the goal, is all seater. Not any more! The middle section of it has reverted to terracing! So the hard core fans still go mental & stand! I paid 110Kc to go behind this goal, and took a seat to the left of the 'nutters'. The glossy programme was a glossy 44 pager for 30Kc. The six\ze of which was that larger than A5, but smaller than A4 one! Inside was a 4 page A5 replica of the programme against the same opposition exactly 25 years earlier. There was some sort of celebration going on, as 25 years ago Bohemians were Czech champions, and today they rolled out the proverbial red carpet for the stars of that team, who signed autographs before, under the stand, and were on the pitch prior to kick off, delaying it by a few minutes. In a room under the stand, was a small exhibition on that championship year, and included a replica of the actual championship trophy! An unexpected bonus! There were about 150 visiting fans down the far end, the crowd itself,from the paper the next day was 7258. I stood most of the first half, sutck in an aroma of waccy baccy & beer, both in copious consumption everywhere! Not the best environment for a recovering alkie, it's at moments like this you get wistful & tempted! ;-)
The home crowd were superb, constant backing, and I'm sure helped raise their team, who were on top, despite not hitting the back of the net. At half time I strolled into the main stand along the side, as they weren't checking tickets, and got a view from up there. Luckily I was in a seat as the match started, as Bohs scored within a minute! Pandemonium! Ticker tape, toliet rolls, flares! you name it...they threw it! And within five minutes it was two! Game over! Bohemians top of the league! This ground is a 'must see' if you're ever in Prague. A game here won't disappoint, I just got very lucky with this one!

My luck ran out yesterday, Monday! And all my oen fault, for not doing my research. I had hoped to go to Mlada Boleslav v. Sparta Praha, for the top division televised game on the monday night, when one match is always picked ofr TV. I hadn't realised this was also a first v. second clash, & it certainly never occured to me it would be sold out! Oh dear! A wasted journey. I should have realised it wasn't going to be my day when my train
was cancelled in the morning, & I had a two hour wait for the next one! And I decided to walk around town rather than go to the ground first, and why should I, I wasn't expecting a full house? What made it more galling was I'd been here last Wednesday to see ice hockey, & it never even occured to me to pop down to the ground to buy a ticket in advance, if they hadn't already sold out by then! Doh!
Not to worry. My mistake, these things happen. So I was back in Prague as the final whistle went. I can't even bring myself to check the score yet! ;-)

Today, Tuesday 28th, is a Bank Holiday in the Czech Republic, for the 'Establishment of the Czech Republic, which was intially in 1908, if I've read it right. So today is a big occasion I'd guess. I can't decide whether to go to Pardubice, where I'd planned to go ice hockey tonight, or stay in Prague, which is what I think I'll do. As I've sent so much time on trains (nothing wrong with that really) but I've not done any touristy stuff in Prague this trip, & it'd nice just to stroll, and see the sights. So, first off, I'm signing off now, to go to the Tram Museum, then there's some sort of sport photo exhibition advertised on some of the billboards. But knowing me, I'll also be a bit 'untouristy' and try to look at a small ground or two as well! ;-)
Tomorrow is my last match, football at Hradec Kralove. I don't think that will sell out, touch wood! I was just very unlucky to have a league match, with the invading Sparta hourdes snapping up all the tickets!

Sigma
Deleted

Oct 28, 2008, 3:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 26 (6236 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear that the game in Mlada Boleslav was sold out. This doesn't happen too often in the Czech Republic.

Mishi

Oct 30, 2008, 8:19 AM

Post #18 of 26 (6192 views)
Shortcut

Well that makes me feel a lot better Sigma! ;-)
I know games rarely get sold out in the Czech Republic, that's why I never checked! Doh! ;-)

Still Tuesday came, Bank Holiday, I wandered round a little. The beautiful Charles Bridge is being renovated, part of it is under scaffold! I've seen it many times before, but hadn't been there yet on this trip, as I've hardly been in Prague itself. I feel sorry for the visitors in Prague for the first time, & won't be returning. The Charles Bridge is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen, particularly early morning, or late night...but I digress.

I decided not to go to Pardubice, it was steadily raining all day, not even 'proper' rain, but that steady drizzle that soaks you without you realising, but 'gets under your skin'. So rather than get wet & miserable in Pardubice I decided to stay in Prague & get soaked. Pardubice can wait for another trip, when I can enjoy walking round the town in the dry. Getting soaked in Prague isn't so bad, as I have so many other memories of this city, I want to recall Pardubice on a nice day, if you get my logic. I took advantage of my 24 hour travelcard, and visited about half a dozen grounds at random, using my map, having seen the one I had been to before, but not got digital snaps of. I can't recall, off the top of my head, what they all were, but I'll list them when I'm back in England tomorrow, and put them up on my photos blog eventually.

Yesterday I went to Hradec Kralove, for their Czech Cup tie with Pardubice. There is another lower division club in the town, I'd noted their address from the internet, but like the fool that I am, let it behind. Another Doh! to me. Maye one day, if I go back there to watch ice hockey...

It was still raining, I walked around town a little, I tried to look at a couple of grounds on the town map, but one was a derelict wasteland, the other just a pitch with no facilities. Ah well, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I got the the Hradec Kralove stadium about 4.00pm for a five o'clock kick off. I was the first fan in the ground...how sad is that? Basically it was getting dark, so I needed to get some shots in before it was night, which I did. 50 Kc to get in, programme 10Kc & an A4 club history (1905-2005) for 40Kc. Yes it IS all in Czech, & I don't understand it, but there were a few pictures in it....

The ground itself is a bowl, around an old track, no longer in use. Cover down both sides, with plastic bench seating all the way round. The floodlights in each corner towered over, and were an unusual round shape at the top. Most fans were on one side, huddled in the back few rows,as all the seats were wet from the rain. It was a thoroughly miserable & cold evening, & I couldn't wait for the final whistle! Not a reflection on the match, more the weather. Hradec Kralove had their chances, & if you were a neutral would have been hard pushed to decide who were second division, & who were top flight. But Teplice broke away in the second half, from their own box, brought the ball all tghe way to the other area, where he squared the ball, for the forward to make no mistake. And that was the only goal of the game in the 51st minute. On the far side was the away enclosure. A 'huge army' of six Teplice fans had travelled, but they were happy! I, for one, was happy enough there was no equaliser & extra time, though Hradec Kralove did come close a couple of times in the last few minutes!
I would have been happy enough for them to have won mind...Their badge has black & white vertical stripes on it, and this appears to be their kit in photos. Well there was NO WAY I could plump for the home side, as I often do at neutral games, I've never supported a team in t*****g colours, & aren't about to start now! But thankfully they appeared in an all white shirt, with black trim down the side, with the town crest on the front. Presumably they're sponsored by the local council. Whatever...no black & white stripes. That's all that mattered to me!

And so ends my trip to the Czech Republic for October 2008. I'll add the snaps in a few days & let you know when they're up here, & as I say, I'll list the grounds that are due to be shown, to whet your appetite, so to speak! ;-)

Thanks to anyone, and everyone, who's followed my postings on this thread, especially Sigma! ;-)

Edit: Oh & I also forgot to mention: the attendance at Hradec Kralove was 1026.

(This post was edited by Mishi on Oct 30, 2008, 8:29 AM)

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Oct 30, 2008, 7:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 26 (6137 views)
Shortcut

klobasa

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

sonofhod
Deleted

Oct 31, 2008, 11:18 AM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 26 (6092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
klobasa

with horcice and a lump of chleb. Washed down with a pivo !!

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Oct 31, 2008, 5:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 26 (6055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
klobasa

with horcice and a lump of chleb. Washed down with a pivo !!

got to be a better option than the pumpkin seeds, whose resultant chaff leaves the river end at Stary Most looking like the bottom of a constipated budgie's cage

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

Mishi

Nov 5, 2008, 10:57 PM

Post #22 of 26 (5906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Czech Republic: 22nd-30th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I've started the long, & somewhat daunting (!) task, of adding my snaps to my grounds blog.

Here are the ones I've begun with:

Czech second division side Banik Most, which includes a small second stadium as part of their own complex:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...-czech-republic.html

A small ground in Mlada Boleslav, I have no ideawhich club(s) use it:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...-mlada-boleslav.html

Also, from the third division level, at home to top flight Slavia Praha in the Czech Cup, FK Spartak MAS Sezimovo Usti:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...movo-usti-czech.html

And from ice hockey:

Second division HC Most:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2008/11/hc-most.html

BK Mlada Boleslav, from the top flight:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...-mlada-boleslav.html

And from the third level, HC Tabor:

I hope to be adding lots more over the next week or so. As I do I'll mention them here for anyone that's interested.

Thanks to anyone who looks in.

Sigma
Deleted

Nov 7, 2008, 3:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 26 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Great pictures!

The statue outside the Banik Most ground doesn't really look like a footballer, does it? My first instinct was that it could have been Josef Masopust who was born in Most and started his career there. In 1962 he helped lead Czechoslovakia to the 1962 WC final and in the same year he was named European footballer of the year.

Mishi

Nov 9, 2008, 1:42 AM

Post #24 of 26 (5740 views)
Shortcut

Next up are another swathe of grounds from the Czech Republic.
Apologies if you're not into foreign grounds, I've got some more Czech ones to sort out, then I'll be back to some English grounds. Which will include Crowborough Athletic, a 'hop' for me next week with the Hamlet!
I've got a fe more English grounds still to publish, plus more foreign ones from Belgium, France & Germany.
Sometimes i think the only person looking in who enjoys the Czech ones is Sigma! ;-)

I hope that's not the case. Anyway here's the latest batch:

Updates to my previous posts from last year:

Sparta Prague:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...9/sparta-prague.html

& Bohemians 1905:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2008/09/bohemians.html

Four Prague non-league grounds, in the order I saw matches at them:

SK Uhelny Sklady:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...e-skalady-praha.html

AFK Olympia Seberov:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...ov-prague-czech.html

FC Predni Kopanina:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...na-prague-czech.html

& FC Cechie Uhrineves:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...es-prague-czech.html

Then two small grounds in the town of Most:

FC Siad Sous:

& what appears to be a former ground, now used as a base for a football academy, I do not know if it's still used for 11-a-side football, or who the last club to use it was, it's seems to be called TC Cepirohy:

And finally one more ice rink, this time one of the minor ones in Prague, Hotel Hasa:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...ub-praha-prague.html

Sigma
Deleted

Nov 11, 2008, 9:31 AM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 26 (5619 views)
Shortcut

Interesting pictures, thanks again. :)

It is always good to learn a little more about football on the 'other' side of the Czech Republic.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3