Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Bert Loxley

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Oct 10, 2008, 8:29 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Bert Loxley Can't Post or Reply Privately

Former Lincoln City manager, Bert Loxley, has died aged 74 after a long illness. If anyone has any further information would they please post it here.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Oct 21, 2008, 10:17 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 2 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Bert Loxley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Herbert “Bert” Loxley (1934-02-03)Born 3 February 1934 Bonsall near Matlock, Derbyshire
Died 9 October 2008 (aged 74) Wing-half 1952-1964 Notts County (245 League Appearances, 9 Goals)
1964 Mansfield Town (no appearances)
1966-1967 Lincoln City (7 League Appearances, 0 goals)
Managed Lincoln City 1970-1971
‘Mr Lincoln City’ who was their long-serving coach He joined Lincoln City in 1966 as part of the coaching staff - owing to an injury crisis during his first season, he put his boots back on and played a further seven games. He remained at Sincil Bank until 1987. During that time he served the club as trainer, coach, physiotherapist and even as first team manager after leading the Imps in 31 league matches. Former Lincoln City and England manager Graham Taylor led the tributes for Bert. "I came to Lincoln as a player in 1968 when he was the trainer and on my very first day he and his wife Sylvia invited me to their home for lunch. I ended up buying a house no more than 100 yards away from them in North Hykeham and we have retained a close friendship throughout the years. He was a fantastic fellow and you could trust him totally. There will be many ex-Lincoln players who will remember Bert with love." City chairman Steff Wright said: "There was a 20-year period in which Mr Loxley became Mr Lincoln City. "I am the new boy on the block so did not have a close relationship with Bert, but I do know there will be many past players and many fans who will remember him with affection." Bert Loxley: 1934-2008

Bert Loxley the former player, physio and manager passed away on Thursday at the age of 74 following a long illness. Bert was born in Bonsall starting his playing career with the local village school scoring thirty seven goals in six games. From school football he graduated to the Rowsley and District League, before having trials with Coventry City, Derby County and York City. Notts County won the race signing him as a professional after a storming display in a trial reserves match against Mansfield. Army service, then intervened before Bert made his league debut at the end of the 1955 season against Ipswich Town. He said: 'It's a match I will always remember as I played with that great centre-half Leon Leuty.' In 1966, after 12 years and 245 league games for Notts County, Bert thought he had hung up his boots, when he joined The Imps as a member of the training staff. However at the beginning of the 1966-67 season an injury crisis saw him play seven times at number 5, partnering the legendary Jimmy Grummett in the centre of defence. A dislocated elbow in November finally brought his playing career to a close. He was a loyal servant of the club for 20 years, mainly as trainer/coach and physiotherapist, before leaving as part of the reshuffle after the relegation to the Conference in 1987. He was even honoured with a testimonial in 1979/80, Bert was even given the job of manager/coach in the summer of 1970, and between July 1970-March 1971, City won 11 of his 31 matches in charge. He took over from talent spotter supreme Ron Gray, the nearly man in Lincoln City managerial terms. Though this is not the time nor place to digress quite how Chairman Dove could sack a man who took us from bottom to just off promotion, beggars belief. Gray`s talent spotting would be appreciated by Ipswich and Bobby Robson over the next decade as they were promoted, won the league and conquered Europe. It would be Bert, however, who unearthed the great Percy Freeman. Having seen Percy play for West Brom reserves he wasn`t so much taken by his skill - "He didn`t look a great player but what really impressed me was his build. I saw his physique and thought 'by golly`. " He also signed Derek Trevis for £6,000 and the two gelled instantly. Lincoln reached the third round of both cup competitions before erratic displays saw him replaced by Herd. Said Bert afterwards. "I had known within two or three months that it wasn`t my cup of tea. I like training and physio work but I hated making the tough decisions like telling a player he was not good enough. I had a good set of players under me and we did ok but I was glad to be replaced. I think I was a bit too nice to be a manager." That sums Bert Loxley up really. A true gentleman of the game. Former Imps and England manager Graham Taylor told BBC Radio Lincolnshire: "Bert Loxley was a superb fellow, totally trustworthy. I have lost a very very close friend, but I think Lincoln City have lost a tremendous servant to their club." Another former Imps manager George Kerr said: "He was strong, funny and dependable. He was the rock, he called himself the rock and will always be known as that."

Bert Loxley: 1934-2008 It is with deep sadness that we announce the death of former player, physio and manager Bert Loxley, who passed away on Thursday at the age of 74 following a long illness.

Born in Bonsall, Derbyshire on February 3rd 1934, Herbert Loxley once scored an astonishing 37 goals in just six matches for his school team before impressing for his local village side, Bonsall FC, in the Rowsley and District League. Having represented Derbyshire against Lancashire in an inter-county representative match, he had trials with a number of clubs including Coventry City and Derby County but it was Notts County who managed to secure his services. After a stunning display for the club's reserve team in a game against Mansfield Town, Bert signed professional forms in 1952. Bert spent his National Service in the Army and made his Football League debut in County's last game of the 1954/55 season, a 2-1 win over Ipswich Town. He made a further 13 appearances the following season, mainly at wing-half, before switching to a centre-back role which saw him become a consistent performer during the course of the next 10 years. Although two relegations saw the Magpies drop to the bottom flight, Bert played his part as they bounced back at the first time of asking whilst his only FA Cup goal, a header against Margate, stopped the non-League side from causing an upset. In 1962 Bert was a member of County's squad which took part in the Club's centenary celebrations but after the Magpies finished bottom of the Third Division, he moved on to Mansfield Town after making over 250 League and cup appearances for the Meadow Lane side. Bert arrived at Sincil Bank in the summer of 1966 as a member of the training staff and an injury crisis saw him play seven times for the Imps shortly after his arrival only for a dislocated elbow in a cup game against Scunthorpe United to bring his playing career to a close.
When Ron Gray was sacked as manager at the end of the 1969/70 season, the Board of Directors appointed Bert as his replacement. With new signing Percy Freeman spearheading the attack, Bert's tenure as Imps' boss started well with League Cup wins over Grimsby Town and Sunderland but a poor run of form during the latter part of the season saw the Board bring in ex-Manchester United star David Herd as a replacement. Bert returned to a backroom position as trainer/coach whilst he was physiotherapist as Graham Taylor brought record-breaking success to Sincil Bank in the mid-1970s. Following Taylor's departure to Watford - Bert was on holiday in Majorca when he found out the news that Elton John had prised him away from Lincoln. He continued to remain an important member of staff under George Kerr, Willie Bell and Colin Murphy and in recognition of his services to the Imps was handed a testimonial in the 1979/80 season. The highlight of that testimonial was undoubtedly a match against European Champions Nottingham Forest at Sincil Bank which City won 2-1 in front of 5,450 supporters. Bert, whose son Tony appeared once in the Football League for the Imps in March 1979, stayed at Sincil Bank until the summer of 1987 when the Imps suffered relegation to the Conference and set up his own sports physiotherapy business at his home in North Hykeham. A gentleman in every sense of the word, Bert died on Thursday 9 October 2008 at the age of 74 following a long battle with Alzheimer's disease leaving a widow Sylvia.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3