Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Portugal trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2008, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 14 (4376 views)
Shortcut
Portugal trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

I flew to Porto on Friday but as there was no match I headed for Leixoes ground to get a ticket for Monday's match against Benfice. I couldn't see any tickets for sale & was advised by a member of the coaching staff I had to go to Rua Roberto Ivens which was very close to Metro station Brito Capello. I joined the small que at the club offices & bought a ticket.
Next day I travelled by train to Figueira Da Foz via Coimbra.

04.10.08 SuperLiga (Liga Sagres) Associacao Naval 1 De Maio V CdF OS Belenenses KO 1945 Att: 1000 Score: 1-1
Prices 10,15 & 30 Euros. I paid 15 which was opposite main stand. The only cover is the small part of the main stand. Round the pitch its like a greyhound track. Good sound system & scoreboard kept you notified of subs etc. Even first half but Naval deservedly took lead in 2nd half. Belenenses done nothing in 2nd half & should have been further behind. Had their 1st chance in injury time & then scored after a rebound on 93 minutes. Tuesday's A Bola paper may have mentioned something about a new stadium.
Next day back to Coimbra by train.

05.10.08 SuperLiga (Liga Sagres) Academica de Coimbra OAF V CD Nacional de Madeira KO 1600 Att:3539 Score: 1-1
I bought ticket in offices at ground. No prices listed so asked for upper tier behind goal in corner from diagram I was shown but ended up in lower tier on the other side. The upper tier behind goal didn't appear to be open nor did the small open goal end. Prices appeared to range from 10 to 25 Euros so I went for the 10 option.
I imagine this ground was a main topic of conversation during Euro 2004 so will not add. Comedy defending let Nacional score in 1st half but they then sat back & Academica got the deserved equaliser on 82 minutes & could have snatched a winner. There were about 30 or so Nacional fans not sure if they travelled from Madeira but players seem to ignore them unlike previous nights Belenenses players who applauded them on more than one occasion.
Back to Porto next day & same accommodation which I stayed at on Friday & a couple of years ago.

06.10.08 SuperLiga (Liga Sagres) Leixoes SC V Sport Lisboa e Benfica KO: 2100 Att: 8000 Score: 1-1
Prices 20, 25 & 40 euros. I paid 25. Both sides have covered seats with the main stand being close to the pitch but the other a large area of grass in front. Behind far goal is nothing but advert boards & behind is grass banking. I was at other open end on concrete bench seats with an area of grass in front of pitch. Five different sections fenced off some with plastic seats. I ended up being with Benfica fans. Benfica scored 1st. Again a late equaliser I see, this time for Leixoes which they deserved on 87 minutes. One major disappointment was 26 minutes after final whistle I was finally let of ground after all home fans had left.

Not a programme collector but I do try & buy them abroad I have never seen one in Portugal.

Over half way through the top league in Portugal after only 4 trips.
This is one league I intend on completing as well as the top 2 leagues in Spain.

SLBenfica Fan
Junior Team Regular

Oct 14, 2008, 12:19 AM

Team(s): Crazy for S.Lisboa Benfica, love S.London, home city club and Celtic FC

Post #2 of 14 (4266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would never come to Portugal to see a football game, only to see SL Benfica! Poor games, poor grounds/stadiums (excluding euro 2004 stadiums and a few more... and SL Benfica), poor support, bad weather last weekend and high ticket prices. Did you sleep in Naval's match or even in Benfica's match?
Congratulations!
The game in Matosinhos Town (Leixões SC) was the worst played by my team this season. Really sorry, for you and for me too.

Only this season SL Benfica have an official Match Programme for sale. I suppose Sporting CP has now one too but I dont really care about that fact...
The stupid thing is that the programme names "Matchday Programme" in english!! I protested... but for what?
The programme has 48 pages in colour (of course), 10 of them for pub, and costs 2,50 €. Ahhh, it's written in portuguese!
Unfortunately, here there aren't the cult of programmes. I tryed to do one for my home town football club (level 6) last season. I made only 3, alone with less support. The 3rd was not sold because there was nobody to sell them... I gave up

(This post was edited by SLBenfica Fan on Oct 14, 2008, 12:25 AM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2008, 7:24 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #3 of 14 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SLBenfica Fan] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You advise 'bad weather last weekend' on my trip. I had great weather. Always dry, hot on Saturday, warm Sunday, pleasant on Friday & Monday. It was chilly at Naval on Saturday night but even the Leixoes match at 2100 wasn't cold & I do feel the cold. When I caught flight back on Tuesday morning the weather had changed & it was raining heavy & very windy.

Regarding poor matches. I agree none of these were anything special but out of the 12 matches I've done in Portugal I've seen 3 superb matches which could go in a top 10 of Euro matches I've seen if I kept such lists. Perhaps I've been very lucky.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Oct 20, 2008, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #4 of 14 (4119 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I would never come to Portugal to see a football game, only to see SL Benfica! Poor games, poor grounds/stadiums (excluding euro 2004 stadiums and a few more... and SL Benfica), poor support, bad weather last weekend and high ticket prices.

I find it hard to agree with any of that. I saw games last season at Benfica, Belenenses, Estoril and CD National. Excellent games at Benfica and Estoril. Great grounds at Benfica, Belenenses and National. Decent support for most of the clubs, great weather and low ticket prices (by UK standards). One of my favourite countries in which to watch football in fact.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 20, 2008, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 14 (4105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Portugal isn't one of my favourite countries to watch football in - it rains a lot there and at some grounds (although I think this is not as much of a problem as it once was) non-members are restricted to only one or two sides of the ground. Add to this the fact that programmes are scarce and for me Portugal is only an option when there is nothing else on elsewhere.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 20, 2008, 12:13 PM

Post #6 of 14 (4099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chris, you must have had bad luck with the weather. I have seen in the region of 50 matches in Portugal (mainly in the Jan- Mar period) and have only encountered rain once - at CD National -and even then it cleared in time for the walk back into town. I agree not being able to access parts of the ground can be a problem at some of the mid-ranking clubs but, as you say, this seems less prevelant nowadays.

The lack of programmes doesn't bother me at all. I visit to watch the football, see the ground and explore the town and, as with Stephen, Portugal is one of my favourite countries to do this in.

Chris1963

Oct 20, 2008, 12:40 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 14 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

50 matches in Portugal is a very impressive figure for a country that until recently could not be reached by cheap flights from the UK. I've only been to around 12-15 matches there and have seen rain at around a third of these. My visit to Boavista was a pretty miserable experience - I had to stand in the rain (which lasted until half-time) at the open end because only members were allowed in the two covered stands! (the 4th side was being rebuilt for Euro 2004.)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 20, 2008, 1:32 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 14 (4071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You really do have a bad case of ombrophobia, Chris ! I assume you avoid Scotland like the plague then.

For what it's worth, I've seen 15 or so games in Portugal and never had any problem with the weather unless you count dehydration............soon remedied with some Superbock Limon.

A wonderful country to visit, especially away from the chavs on the Algarve.

sonofhod
Deleted

Oct 20, 2008, 2:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 14 (4062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or

Got me there you big Tinker, had to look up ombrophobia. Whats umbrellaphobia ? Never heard of such an idiotic reason for not visiting a country, I am sure I will hear a few more NOW.
After this coming weekend will need 3 in top 2 divs, love the place and the sardines !
Chaves is in the North !

KnowYourMarket

Oct 20, 2008, 2:33 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #10 of 14 (4058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chaves is in the North

Near Crewe?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 20, 2008, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 14 (4022 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Got me there you big Tinker, had to look up ombrophobia. Whats umbrellaphobia ? Never heard of such an idiotic reason for not visiting a country, I am sure I will hear a few more NOW.
After this coming weekend will need 3 in top 2 divs, love the place and the sardines !
Chaves is in the North !

Chaves may be the key to Portugal Crazy

sonofhod
Deleted

Oct 20, 2008, 8:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 14 (4019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Portugal trip [In reply to] Can't Post or

From Spain , yes.
Not to the Sardines !

(This post was edited by sonofhod on Oct 20, 2008, 8:32 PM)

SLBenfica Fan
Junior Team Regular

Oct 27, 2008, 12:39 AM

Team(s): Crazy for S.Lisboa Benfica, love S.London, home city club and Celtic FC

Post #13 of 14 (3905 views)
Shortcut

I love english and british football for 15 years, more a less and the reason never was for the brilliant played games or the names of the players but only for the fighting spirit until the last wistle, without "dives in pool", for the respect between players, serious referees, the love of fans, the architecture of the grounds, the long history of the clubs and competitions, for all that and something more that I cant explain in english I love english football. So I cant say that i have "a team" in England because I like all and love Celtic in Scotland! Tongue Although Sunderland, Wolves, Northampton Town, Bath City, Sheffield FC... and more recently AFC Wimbledon and FCUM tells me a little more. All are interesting. Well, nowadays I support Sport London e Benfica more than all of course! And don't like Chelsea as much because it's too money.

And comparing this items with portuguese footy... well, Its all about attitude, respect and corruption yes

But I dont like some arrogance when english teams plays overseas... like Man Utd vs SL Benfica or Portsmouth/Harry Redknapp against SC Braga... I don't usually support our teams in euro competitions, no! But Braga wons against arrogance and was very well done!

So maby its normal you like come here just because its a diferent country, different experience, mediterranean weather... but I would prefere see a football game in wales in a raining day Cool

Sorry for my english

SLBenfica Fan
Junior Team Regular

Oct 27, 2008, 12:43 AM

Post #14 of 14 (3904 views)
Shortcut

aaannnnd... portuguese football is a little expensive for a portuguese pocket

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3