Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Oct 6, 2008, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Various

Post #1 of 13 (6885 views)
Shortcut
Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Football Association Ltd have declared Saturday FA Vase tie between Cullompton Rangers and Willand Rovers to be "Null & Void"
This is due to an unacceptable error in application of the laws of the game by the match referee, the referee is likely to have charges bought against him.
As the game was declared null & void it will now be re-staged as opposed to being re-played and will now be played back at Cullompton Rangers AFC on Tuesday 14th October, 7.45pm with any replay at Willand on Tuesday 21st October.
The previously announced replay - Willand Rovers v Cullompton Rangers on Tuesday night (7th October) has therefore been cancelled.

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

royals26
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 6, 2008, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #2 of 13 (6847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

New date for 're-stage' on TheFA.com - simply states 'tie ordered to be replayed'.

Willand site hasn't picked up on the 'ruling' yet

... hadn't realised how close these two were to each other. Brought out quite a big crowd too.

Here's what the Western Bulletin has to say:-

The other drawn match will not lead to long distance mid-week travel as the two sides play a few miles from each other. Cullompton Rangers played hosts to Willand Rovers and neither side found the back of the net in 90 minutes. Extra time produced much of the same until the home side were awarded a spot kick with ten minutes left, but the referee spotted encroachment by the Cullompton forwards and disallowed the goal. The replay is at Willand on Tuesday.

... and there's a bit more detail on the why's and wherefore's from the Cullompton site:-

Following the bizarre decision by the referee to award a goal kick for encroachment by a Rangers player after Mark Simic scored from the spot the FA have held an enquiry and ordered the game to be played again at Cullompton onTuesday 14th 7.45pm kick off.

Asked for his reaction Secretary Marcus Scott said "that he was happy with FA's decision but that it should not detract from the fact that Cullompton had been harshly done by on Saturday and could well have been 1000 richer and looking forward to a home game against Bemerton Heath in the next round but for the referee's decision." Today I should have been enjoying my first day as an OAP but it has been spent dealing "FFC" business, hopefully the whole matter has been settled now and I can look forward to a stress free evening.

Rangers and Willand Rovers will have it to go head to head all over again on Tuesday Night at the Silver Street Willand after a fairly ordinary FA Vase game had a totally extraordinary end on Saturday afternoon at Speeds Meadow.

With five minutes remaining the Match Referee awarded a penalty after deciding that the ball had been handled by Rovers defender Shaun Goff. After much argument during which time three or four Rovers players picked up yellow cards, Mark Simic spotted the ball and tucked away a superb penalty. The 'scorer' and team mates peeled off to celebrate what was surely a match winning moment only for the Referee then to loudly announce: "Encroachment - no goal, restart the game with a goal kick", and so the contest continued.

The deabte as to the 'law change' raged long into the night and there does indeed seem to have been a change to this particular law although the 2008/09 edition of the FA Handbook does say that if an infringement at a succesful penalty kick is from the takers side then the kick is re-taken. In the same manual, under MINI SOCCER rules it states that encroachment can lead to the game being re-started with a goal kick ! So the mystery rages. What is CERTAIN is that the two sides again go 'head to head' for THE CULM VALLEY SHOWDOWN PART II at Willand Rovers on Tuesday night (kick off 7.30pm) and this is ONE GAME NOT TO BE MISSED.

The game itself saw precious few gilt edged chances at either end. In the first half of normal time Rangers keepr Chris Wright made a smart near post save from a James Ansell header and Danny Baily shaved the bar at the home of his previous club whilst former Rovers striker Sam Williams spurned the best chance of the first 45 minutes, screwing his shot wide of the upright with only Brian Cann to beat.

After the break Rovers huffed and puffed whilst Rangers looked very capable on the break and on 70 minutes Harry Taylor was presented with a great chance but failed to take it whilst in the last minute a superb block from Simon Hill prevented Jamie Cottrell becomming the Rangers hero. In extra time Alexis Piper and Danny Baily spurned far post opportunites and then came that penalty incicdent - some finish, now for part II on Tuesday night.

I'm positive we had a similar incident in our goalfest at White Hart lane last season - their fifth (Frown) goal, I think, was scored under similar circumstances with Defoe not only yards inside the box when Keane took the pen but actually may have put the ball in after USA had saved the kick.

Huge debate aftrewards whether it should have been re-taken or a free-kick/goal-kick to us - needless to say the goal stood! Unsure

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Oct 6, 2008, 6:28 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As league secretary I received an email from Steve Clark this afternoon cancelling tomorows "replay" and ordering the match be "restaged" at Cullompton on Tues 14th - this is obviously not a replay as any replay is ordered to be at Willand Rovers on the 21st Oct.

When the 2 clubs were both in the old Devon League the record league crowd of 694 witnessed a Good Friday afternoon match between the 2 sides.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 6, 2008, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #4 of 13 (6821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At least the "Null & Void" decision means I haven't seen a 0-0 this season...
Seriously though, I hope the ref from original game doesn't let this error affect his love of the game & he is back on the field of play asap.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

robhornby
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2008, 5:12 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #5 of 13 (6679 views)
Shortcut

When the 2 clubs were both in the old Devon League the record league crowd of 694 witnessed a Good Friday afternoon match between the 2 sides.

You forgot to add in the Pouring rain!

I was lucky as I set up my programme stall inside the nice warm clubhouse lol

To visit my charity blog..please click on http://aroundthegrounds2017-18.blogspot.co.uk/

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Oct 8, 2008, 8:19 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or

Two questions on this subject - at what point on Monday was the decision taken to replay the match (SWP Phil's post suggests confirmation sometime in the afternoon); and secondly, exactly how did this come to light? Was a protest lodged by Cullompton, or perhaps a referee's assessor included the officiating error in a report?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

andy_ollers
Youth Team Sub

Oct 9, 2008, 8:17 PM

Post #7 of 13 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Here is an interesting take on these events from Caroline Barker (Non League Show), which I published on my blog last night (I had a tough day at work and I was being lazy....Blush)

www.thefavase.blogspot.com

I've certainly never come across/heard of this before.
Andy

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Oct 9, 2008, 10:50 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy_ollers] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For the purposes of clarification - I was emailled mid afternoon on Monday direct from Competitions Dept at Soho Square.

Hand on heart I'm not aware of any official appeal or protest that would have led to the FA making their decision.

The press reports stating "Devon FA" are inaccurate, the whole matter is one for the FA in London and as a member of Devon FA I can assure you that the FA Vase is out of our remit.

I "think" the real deciding factor here was that the Referee contacted the league on Sunday for advice, was advised to contact Soho Square 1st thing Monday and his report would have confirmed the events of Saturday to the FA. Its more likely his honesty was the trigger for the events that followed as neither club would have been able to prove or disprove any allegation in such a short time span.

Regards

Phil H

Recorderman
Junior Team Regular

Oct 9, 2008, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Lancing, Montreal Expos

Post #9 of 13 (6407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy_ollers] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Caroline Barker has it all wrong in comparing what happened at Cullompton with the Watford no-goal. I'm surprised that none of this website's educated readership (hi, Rupert!) has brought this up already, but the principle was established in a game at Spurs in the early 1950s. Eddie Baily (I believe) took a corner which hit the referee and rebounded to Baily, whose cross set up the winning goal. The opposition (Huddersfield?) appealed on the grounds that Baily had illegally played the ball twice. The referee (no doubt suitably prompted) stated that he thought another player had touched the ball before Baily's second cross. That made it a question of FACT, against which there can be no appeal. Had the ref said that he knew Baily had played the ball twice but didn't know it was illegal, that would have made it a question of LAW and the appeal could have been allowed.
At Watford the ref made an error of FACT. At Cullompton it was an error of LAW. Hence a replay.
Amazing, when you think about it, that this distinction hasn't reared its head (as far as I know) for more than 50 years.

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 10, 2008, 12:31 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #10 of 13 (6398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Recorderman] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You are perfectly right in giving the reasons why the Cullompton match is to be replayed and the Reading match was not.
However, there have been other incidents in the last fifty years.

In particular, two spring to mind - these are memories, not chapter and verse

In one case, a Bundesliga match was replayed after an incident where the referee had made a mistake. It may have been a ball over the line incident or something similar. FIFA ruled that the DFB were wrong to order the match replayed, in effect stating the the referee's mistakes are final.

In an opposite incident, a similar incident to the Cullompton occured in an Asian Cup or World Cup qualifying game in Asia - I think this was also the wrong decision over retaking a penalty. Again the match was replayed.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

fermin
Youth Team Sub

Oct 10, 2008, 8:33 AM

Post #11 of 13 (6367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In an opposite incident, a similar incident to the Cullompton occured in an Asian Cup or World Cup qualifying game in Asia - I think this was also the wrong decision over retaking a penalty. Again the match was replayed.

This was the Bahrain - Uzbekistan match. See link http://www.iransportspress.com/...2050/2005-09-06.html

Felix
Reserve Team Star

Oct 10, 2008, 9:06 AM

Post #12 of 13 (6358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This was used as a precedent a couple of years ago when a match between Edgware Town and Harefield United was ordered to be replayed.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Oct 10, 2008, 1:36 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Recorderman] Cullompton Rangers v Willand Rovers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you, Recorderman. I try not to let my brilliance show through all of the time hence I waited for the responses to come in.
Alas, I will not be in your neck of the woods next week.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3