Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Jimmy Sirrel

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2008, 7:08 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3572 views)
Shortcut
Jimmy Sirrel Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jimmy Sirrel, the legendary Notts County manager has died at the age of 86. Would anyone who might read an obituary in the Nottingham Evening Post or on any Notts County websites please post them here.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Sep 25, 2008, 7:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 4 (3555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Jimmy Sirrel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

(Nottingham Evening Post) Legendary Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrel died today, aged 86. He died in the early hours of this morning in the Queen's Medical Centre after a long illness. Sirrel was born on February 2, 1922, and first took charge of the Magpies on November 19, 1969. He guided the club to the Division Four title in his first full season in charge in 1970/71 and then into Division Two in 1973. He left Meadow Lane to take over at Sheffield United in 1975, but that was not the end of his love affair with Notts. He returned to the club in October 1977 and famously led them into the top-flight of English Football in 1981, with a 2-0 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge confirming the Magpies would be playing Division One football for the first time since 1926.Sirrel then steered the club to successive 15th-place finishes in the 1981/82 and 1982/83 campaigns; he was general manager to Howard Wilkinson in the club's second season in the top-flight. In doing so, the Magpies thoroughly upset universal-expectation that condemned them to a swift fall back down the Football League ladder. Sirrel continued as general manager of the club in the 1983/84 season, but Notts were relegated from Division One under coach Larry Lloyd. Lloyd was sacked the following season, with the Magpies staring a second successive relegation in the face. And Sirrel was back in his track-suit in an unsuccessful attempt to save the club from a dispiriting drop into Division Three. After a swift free-fall, he managed to instigate a period of stability at Meadow Lane, before announcing his retirement at the end of the 1986/87 campaign. In 1993, the newly-redeveloped County Road Stand was renamed the Jimmy Sirrel Stand in his honour. He was still a regular visitor to Meadow Lane until the end of last season, when ill health forced him to stay away.
In Friday's Evening Post an 8 page Jimmy Sirrel tribute special.

(Trent FM) Jimmy Sirrel dies One of Notts County's most successful managers has died. Jimmy Sirrel took the Magpies from the 4th division to the top tier of English football. He died in the early hours of this morning aged 86 having been ill for the last 3 months. The Scot will be remembered for guiding the Magpies to 3 promotions in 2 separate spells at Meadow Lane, culminating in them reaching the old first division in 1981.In 1993, the newly-redeveloped County Road Stand was renamed the Jimmy Sirrel Stand in his honour.
1922: Born in Glasgow,1945: Celtic player,1949: Bradford Park Avenue player,1951: Bright & Hove Albion player,1954: Aldershot player and coach,1960: Brentford player,1967: Brentford manager, 1969: NOTTS COUNTY MANAGER, 1975 - 1977: Sheffield United Manager, 1978 - 1987 NOTTS COUNTY MANAGER/GENERAL MANAGER

(Guardian) The former Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrel, who took the Magpies from the then-fourth division to the English top flight and was widely regarded as the best manager ever to take charge of the club, died today at the age of 86. "The news has stunned everyone and although it's 20 years since Jimmy left the club, he was still affectionately remember by everyone," said the Notts County chairman John Armstrong-Holmes. The Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson also paid tribute to Sirrel, underlining his managerial skills at a club with strict budgetary constraints. "All I can say is that I'd be confident in Jimmy Sirrel managing a team I supported, and that would be the general opinion from all the managers in the game," said Ferguson. "People like Jimmy have had to work with either no money or little money and if you look at his career at Notts County and Sheffield United, you'll see he's done fantastically well with players who are quite limited." Sirrel was born in Glasgow and made 13 appearances for Celtic before spending the majority of his playing days in England, with Bradford Park Avenue, Brighton & Hove Albion and Aldershot. After a brief spell in charge of Brentford, he became the manager of Notts County in 1969 with the club in England's bottom league. But Sirrel steered County to two promotions and left them in the second division when he took over at Sheffield United, returning after a year to eventually take County into the top flight in 1980. He was only the third manager in history to take the same club from the lowest to highest leagues.He remained involved with the club until 1986 and in 1993 the County Road Stand was named after him.The former Notts County midfielder Don Masson also paid tribute to his former boss. "I owe everything in my football career to Jimmy - he was fantastic," said Masson. The Magpies' record goalscorer Les Bradd said: "We certainly feared him on match days, particularly when he was throwing jugs of tea at us. But generally Jimmy was a friend to the players. He would tell funny stories, we would laugh at him."Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington, who was signed for Notts County by Sirrel, said: "I have a lot of good feelings for Jim. He did wonders for my career at Notts County. He was an excellent coach and his man-management was very good, particularly with the young ones."
(Press Association) Sir Alex Ferguson has led the tributes to legendary Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrel following his death at the age of 86. Glasgow-born Sirrel, who also played for Celtic, first took charge of the Football League's oldest club in 1969, and had three spells in charge - from 1969-75, 1978-82 and 1985-87. The Manchester United boss who was a good friend told the BBC: "All I can say is that I'd be confident in Jimmy Sirrel managing a team I supported, and that would be the general opinion from all the managers in the game." He added: "People like Jimmy have had to work with either no money or little money and if you look at his career at Notts County and Sheffield United, you'll see he's done fantastically well with players who are quite limited." Legendary Notts County midfielder Don Masson also paid tribute to his former boss. He said: "I owe everything in my football career to Jimmy - he was fantastic." The Magpies' record goalscorer Les Bradd said: "We certainly feared him on match days, particularly when he was throwing jugs of tea at us. "But generally Jimmy was a friend to the players. He would tell funny stories, we would laugh at him." Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington, who was signed for Notts County by Sirrel, said: "I have a lot of good feelings for Jim. "He did wonders for my career at Notts County. He was an excellent coach and his man-management was very good, particularly with the young ones."

DAZZA
Junior Team Regular

Sep 26, 2008, 10:24 AM

Team(s): Notts County

Post #3 of 4 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Jimmy Sirrel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rest In Peace Jimmy. You are Mr Notts County. No one will ever do what you did for our club. A great man. God Bless.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 26, 2008, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #4 of 4 (3449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DAZZA] Jimmy Sirrel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jimmy Sirrell took charge at Brentford when the club was in crisis after Dunnett tried to sell the club to QPR. He operated with just 15 professionals as the club made drastic cutbacks but still turned them into genuine Promotion candidates before leaving for Notts County in 1969. What he achieved at County was remarkable and I am sure his name will always be remembered with great fondness at not only Brentford , Notts County and his other previous clubs but by football fans everywhere. RIP Jimmy.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

(This post was edited by R.S.Cavendish on Sep 26, 2008, 3:33 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3