Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Teams playing outside their own town

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 3, 2008, 8:42 AM

Post #26 of 45 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Port Glasgow Juniors have been playing on the opposite side of Greenock since 2000 after the Council evicted them "to build industrial premises". These still haven't been built nor are ever likely to be considering there are already two empty buildings nearby. Anyway the entire tenemental housing scheme is currently being demolished to make way for swish new private houses and this part of town is rumoured to being renamed West Langbank, a "posh" village a number of miles up the A8. There was the possibility that a local school could be used and this was bandied about by the Council, but they put in the wrong kind of turf (2G, instead of 3G) to save money, and anyway didn't enclose the pitch properly and wouldn't be allowed by the Scottish Junior FA anyway. A similar decision was made at the new Greenock High School just beside the Ravenscraig Stadium that the Port share with Greenock Juniors, meaning neither of these sides could take advantage of the new surroundings. Come to think of it, even the local youth clubs can't use it because of the wrong grade of turf!!!

Inverclyde Council...what a bunch of penny pinching b$"$%^&s!!!

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 3, 2008, 9:54 AM

Post #27 of 45 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmccoll] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or

Millwall (x2) in Deptford / New Cross

Pat B
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2008, 12:55 PM

Post #28 of 45 (3979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I think Telford United's ground is in Wellington.

Wellington's a district of Telford though, innit?

NO Wellington is and always has been a town in it's own right !. Many people who live in Wellington myself included refuse to put Telford in our address. Wellington does however fall within the borough of Telford & Wrekin.

VP

Aug 3, 2008, 2:28 PM

Post #29 of 45 (3972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat B] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Many people who live in Wellington myself included refuse to put Telford in our address.

But your postal address includes Telford as that's where the Delivery Office is. Postal addresses are the cause of much anger among the UK public, most of which is unfounded in my opinion. By having Telford as part of your address Royal Mail aren't saying you live there. That's where the mail has to go as there isn't a Delivery Office in Wellington.
I've looked at the Postal Address File and Wellington is included as part of the address as a seperate entity from Telford so I can't see what the problem is. People are always moaning about delays and lost mail but if they're not giving out the correct postal address which the machines have been trained to read then delays are going to happen.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but my wages are affected if Royal Mail fail their quality of service targets. You can't make up your own phone number so why do people think they can make up their own address?

Richard Rundle

Aug 3, 2008, 8:15 PM

Post #30 of 45 (3938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but my wages are affected if Royal Mail fail their quality of service targets. You can't make up your own phone number so why do people think they can make up their own address?

What I want to know is why when the Local Authority puts together most of the address, and the Royal Mail then puts a postcode on it, the RM claims Intellectual Property Rights over the whole address, and charges the Local Authority for searches based on the address!

--
Richard

bayfan
Junior Team Star

Aug 3, 2008, 8:57 PM

Post #31 of 45 (3929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As touched on in an above post, all the above are trumped by Newport AFC (not County), Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon Town who were disgracefully forced to play outside their own country for two years.

Richard Rundle

Aug 3, 2008, 9:08 PM

Post #32 of 45 (3927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bayfan] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As touched on in an above post, all the above are trumped by Newport AFC (not County), Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon Town who were disgracefully forced to play outside their own country for two years.

No, Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon Town they close to play outside their own country to play in their current leagues. Newport AFC chose to play outside Wales to join an English League upon their formation.

--
Richard

bayfan
Junior Team Star

Aug 3, 2008, 9:18 PM

Post #33 of 45 (3923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nay and thrice nay. The Welsh FA banned them from playing in Wales if they remained in the leagues they were well established in, after initially telling them they would not be put under any pressure to join the LoW and Newport AFC were one of those clubs meaning in effect they had two stints in exile.

robgrillo
First Team Star

Aug 3, 2008, 10:15 PM

Post #34 of 45 (3914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bayfan] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nay and thrice nay. The Welsh FA banned them from playing in Wales if they remained in the leagues they were well established in, after initially telling them they would not be put under any pressure to join the LoW and Newport AFC were one of those clubs meaning in effect they had two stints in exile.

.......and at the same time allowing Oswestry Town to play in Welsh comptitions because 'they always have done' !! (to quote a very high ranking FAW official at the time)

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

bayfan
Junior Team Star

Aug 4, 2008, 9:54 AM

Post #35 of 45 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robgrillo] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.... and also possibly even more bizzarrely, allowing English clubs such as Hereford and Kidderminster to continue to enter the Welsh Cup, as well as Welsh clubs based in England such as Merthyr, Wrexham etc.

VP

Aug 4, 2008, 12:45 PM

Post #36 of 45 (3863 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What I want to know is why when the Local Authority puts together most of the address, and the Royal Mail then puts a postcode on it, the RM claims Intellectual Property Rights over the whole address, and charges the Local Authority for searches based on the address!

--
Richard

This is a complicated area. For a start the Postcode Address File only includes delivery points that receive mail. For that reason there's pressure on the government to create a new database with an official address for every building in the country. Here's a story regarding that:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/...klytechnologysection

Local authorities should have their own databases linked to the NLPG:- http://www.nlpg.org.uk/nlpg/welcome.htm

I don't know what that database includes but one line suggests it means you no longer have to use Royal Mail's database.

Local Government has invested 70 million in creating the NLPG and is committed to using the NLPG for all of its addressing requirements and services.

I can't comment on the legal aspect of how RM can claim ownership of all the data when half of it is provided by others but under section 116 of the Postal Services Act 2000 they legally have to maintain the PAF.
It's updated continuously with all changes uploaded on a weekly basis. They're allowed to charge a 'reasonable' fee to access the data. At the moment anyone can access 15 addresses a day free of charge. If you need more than that then there is a fee based on how much info you want. RM have said they're aiming for a profit margin of between 8 & 10% on the file.

http://www.psc.gov.uk/...de-address-file.html

I can only suggest that if anyone has a problem with the fees charged and the legality of the whole situation they contact the regulator, Postcomm.

Hope this helps! Smile

Lily White
Junior Team Regular

Mar 6, 2009, 12:33 AM

Team(s): Dover Athletic

Post #37 of 45 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Millwall have played home games the other side of the river from Millwall since 1910, firstly in New Cross, and now in South Bermondsey.

PaulC

Mar 6, 2009, 9:04 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #38 of 45 (3477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Partick Thistle moved out of Partick in 1908

acmold

Mar 9, 2009, 5:51 PM

Post #39 of 45 (3374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or

Coming into Oxford the other day I noticed that Oxford City's ground is outside the city boundary, if the Welcome to Oxford sign is in the correct place. But the car park is in the city so after the game walking back to the car park you enter the city.

Sarumio

Mar 10, 2009, 10:22 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #40 of 45 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Salisbury City play have played outside the City's boundaries since their move to the Ray Mac in 1997. They play in the suburban "village" of Old Sarum. But they still play in Salisbury by default as Old Sarum is the original site of Salisbury - the current one is also known as the City of New Sarum.

brixham
Junior Team Regular

Mar 16, 2009, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI , Ayr UTD , Alemannia Aachen, Blackburn , Brixham FC

Post #41 of 45 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please note that B****N W*******S do not play in Horwich ! Fortunately they are situated just outside the Horwich boundary, probably in Westhoughton.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 18, 2009, 8:26 PM

Post #42 of 45 (3178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Coming into Oxford the other day I noticed that Oxford City's ground is outside the city boundary, if the Welcome to Oxford sign is in the correct place. But the car park is in the city so after the game walking back to the car park you enter the city.

Not so. The district boundary is on the country side of the A40 (according to my OS maps). The 'Welcome' sign is presumably placed where it least distracts drivers (I presume you are referring to driving in off the A40).

acmold

Mar 18, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #43 of 45 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Teams playing outside their own town [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not so. The district boundary is on the country side of the A40 (according to my OS maps). The 'Welcome' sign is presumably placed where it least distracts drivers (I presume you are referring to driving in off the A40).

Yes
, as an aside I live in Cowley but the council appear to have transferred me to Iffley (good for insurance), but when we ask why our pavements are not swept (or re-surfaced, the other side of the road that is in Iffley has been done three times in 10 years !) and why some trees had not been pruned in over 20 years and why the drains have only been cleaned once in 32 years they said they had "lost 20 houses" from their maps and the tress did not exist on their maps, though they still managed to charge use rates. Par for the course in Oxford..

mike seaby
Junior Team Star

Mar 20, 2009, 6:28 PM

Team(s): United Services Portsmouth / Chelsea

Post #44 of 45 (3116 views)
Shortcut

You also have Chelsea playing in the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham.

boris
Junior Team Regular

Mar 23, 2009, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Oxford United

Post #45 of 45 (3030 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Both Oxford United and Oxford City's current grounds are very near if not outside the city boundary. I presume many newest grounds are.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3