Junior Ground Bites The Dust

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 24, 2008, 7:09 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 4 (2079 views)
Shortcut
Junior Ground Bites The Dust Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mentioned the possibility of this in a match report on the Groundhopping thread a few months ago, but it is now reported that Arniston Rangers have played their last game at Newbyres Park. They will groundshare with Musselburgh Athletic next season.

Rob North
First Team Star

Jun 24, 2008, 8:30 AM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #2 of 4 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Re: Junior Ground Bites The Dust [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to Newbyres Park early last season. At the time Arniston were talking of a move with a new site identified, but I believe that fell through.

acmold

Jun 24, 2008, 9:26 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Re: Junior Ground Bites The Dust [In reply to] Can't Post or

That's one of the very few Junior grounds I've done. Wonderful old ground with loads of terracing. I went 14 years ago and though the crowd was only 50 or 60 that included 10 travellers - I went with jrev61. I seem to remember they ran out of mutton pies very early on. No programme issued.

Went ot Largs the next night just after they had won the Junior Cup, crowd of a thousand or so.

prorege

Jun 24, 2008, 9:26 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #4 of 4 (2059 views)
Shortcut
Re: Junior Ground Bites The Dust [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whoever owned Newbyres Park has now sold it for development. The club were 'looking into' new ground options but I think they were hoping that the local council would help them out. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of the end for them. Gorebridge to Musselburgh is too awkward for people to travel. Arniston had asked Newtongrange for a ground share but Star already host Hibernian Under 19 games. They get good money from Hibs for that and didn't want to add another set of games to their pitch.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3