HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 19, 2008, 11:53 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 9 (2937 views)
Shortcut
HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 Can't Post or

I know a few of you are contemplating going to Orkney on Sat 21st for the Highland Amateur Cup. 2 games Rendall v Castletown 12-30 at Firth Primary school and Kirkwall Rovers v Thurso Swifts 13-00 at Bignold Park.
Also 3 games in the Oxy Cup R2 same day. Burray v Kirkwall United at Burray Community School, Orphir v Accies at Orphir Community School and Wanderers v Holm at Bignold Park. All kick off 19-00.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2008, 9:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 9 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good tip Hoddy. Unfortunately, finding accommodation in Kirkwall this weekend was like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack - apparently the St Magnus Festival is to blame.

Consequently, I have settled for staying in Thurso and just heading across the Pentland Firth on the day for a Highland Amateur Cup tie. At least it will allow for getting up at a more leisurely time on Sunday before the long journey home.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2008, 12:08 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 9 (2824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Out of curiosity, how many ground/pitches are there on Orkney? Does the main one in Kirkwall have a stand? I would like to go there one day but it would probably have to be for the Island Games or a local team joining the Highland League (wishful thinking but perhaps they could build a road tunnel to the mainland!)

HI-HI
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 20, 2008, 12:37 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Out of curiosity, how many ground/pitches are there on Orkney? Does the main one in Kirkwall have a stand? I would like to go there one day but it would probably have to be for the Island Games or a local team joining the Highland League (wishful thinking but perhaps they could build a road tunnel to the mainland!)

Perhaps that nice Mr. Churchill could build another of his wonderful barriers. Wink

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 20, 2008, 12:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 9 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Hi Chris,
just google orkney football league [tremendous site]
Think there was a bit of cover when I went Bignold Park, the main ground. But that ws on July 29, 1988 for the annual Orkney v Shetland game. 1-0 in front of 400 , just reading the 4 page programme now. Bit of a surprise result as Shetland had won the previous 6 meetings.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2008, 5:24 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #6 of 9 (2787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've had a look at the site and it is very good for fixtures, ko's and the like. Sounds as if there are plenty of grounds although many have exotic names which cannot be easily found on a map of Orkney. One surprising omission seems to be the third largest town/village, Finstown which does not seem to have a club or ground of that name. Anyway I hope I will go there before too long. The Orkney v. Shetland 'international' sounds a good idea if they are still doing programmes for it, and if it was possible to combine it with the opening Saturday of the Highland League.

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 20, 2008, 9:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 9 (2768 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've had a look at the site and it is very good for fixtures, ko's and the like. Sounds as if there are plenty of grounds although many have exotic names which cannot be easily found on a map of Orkney. One surprising omission seems to be the third largest town/village, Finstown which does not seem to have a club or ground of that name. Anyway I hope I will go there before too long. The Orkney v. Shetland 'international' sounds a good idea if they are still doing programmes for it, and if it was possible to combine it with the opening Saturday of the Highland League.

Dig deeper Chris on the site. All names of gtrounds [ usually schools which can be found are mentioned] Venues are there. Pickaquoy is exotic ?
Everybody, look its there. Finnish fixtures, Intertoto,friendlies in Holland etc.

(This post was edited by sonofhod on Jun 21, 2008, 9:47 AM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2008, 6:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 9 (2651 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Chris, many of the teams are named after parishes as opposed to towns/villages. Finstown is in Firth parish, and is home to both Firth and Rendall. Rendall is the next parish north, but does not have its own ground.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 22, 2008, 10:30 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #9 of 9 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] HIGHLAND AMATEUR CUP R 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I spent a week or so on Orkney last summer. No proper cover at any grounds I saw, and grounds not as good as those on the Western Isles.

Unsure if the annual match vs Shetland is still played at Bignold Park (no cover but has an old pavilion), or at the newer Pickaquoy Sports Centre (also no cover, but enclosed by an athletics track). They also have an annual match vs Caithness, played in Thurso this year.

Pics attached: 2958 Pickaquoy, 2961a and 2961b Bignold Park

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3