Jack Mould trophy : slight return

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 14, 2008, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 4 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Jack Mould trophy : slight return Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure I remember a thread at the other end of the season about this trophy, and who it was named after. Never did get beyond the Wikipedia article : did anyone dig any further? And was it competed for in 07/08 - and if so, in whose trophy cabinet does it now reside ?

coops
First Team Sub

Jun 15, 2008, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #2 of 4 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Jack Mould trophy : slight return [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I posed the question after watching Greenhill lose 6-0 to Castle Vale JKS in the first round last year.

I had a couple of answers and it turns out Jack Mould was a succesful Midlands businessman who even had his own team in the Worcestershire Combination for a while, Jack Mould's Athletic. Someone said they played either on or pretty near to where Highgate United currently play.

Apparently Jack was a big supporter of local non-league football and did much for the Midland Combination which is why they have a trophy named after him.

Castle Vale JKS won the trophy this year beating Henley Forest in the final which was, fittingly, played at Highgate United.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2008, 7:05 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #3 of 4 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Jack Mould trophy : slight return [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that info. Going off on a bit of a tangent, since you mention Highgate United, was that the Highgate United who had a bloke (Tony Allder?) killed by lightning whilst playing for them ? I've a vague memory of going to a (very well-attended, 11000+) testimonial game at St.Andrews (Birmingham City) in around about 1969 that had something to do with Highgate

coops
First Team Sub

Jun 16, 2008, 12:38 AM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #4 of 4 (3685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Jack Mould trophy : slight return [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony Allden.

Yes, killed by lightning in a Amateur Cup quarter final against Enfield in 1967.

Another man who has a cup competition named after him.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3