Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Closest senior club to Central London

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 11, 2008, 2:37 PM

Post #1 of 24 (12586 views)
Shortcut
Closest senior club to Central London Can't Post or Reply Privately

Who were the all-time closest senior club to central London? I would nominate Summerstown, which is an area behind Euston and Kings Cross. They were quite a big club before the war. I am not sure where exactly they played though.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 11, 2008, 3:52 PM

Post #2 of 24 (12573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or

Chelsea Mariners of the Spartan League ?

Football Man
Youth Team Sub

Jun 11, 2008, 6:59 PM

Team(s): Hitchin, Royston, Langford, Stotfold, the Biggleswades

Post #3 of 24 (12549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How should we define the centre of London? I believe that it is usually taken to be the cross at Charing Cross.

FM

Kavjack
Junior Team Star

Jun 11, 2008, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Frickley, Doncaster, Leeds

Post #4 of 24 (12539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Russell, I hope that you're not a Londoner, because you don't know your London Neighbourhoods. From wikipedia:
Summerstown is a district in southwest London.
Summerstown lies east of Wimbledon south of Earlsfield, west of Tooting and north of Collier's Wood. The district is bisected by the main A217 road and bordered by the River Wandle.

not to be confused with (although Russell obviously did ! )

Somers Town, named after the Somers family who owned the land, is an area of London south of Camden Town. Historically, the locality known as Somers Town was the whole of the triangular space between the Hampstead, Pancras, and Euston Roads. Modern Somers Town is generally regarded as being the area bounded by Euston Road, Eversholt Street, Crowndale Road, Pancras Road and the railway approaches to St Pancras Station.

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 11:18 AM

Post #5 of 24 (12475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kavjack] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You are correct - it is Somers Town. Just checked on A to Z. So maybe the old club were based near Wimbledon then.

robcavallini
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2008, 12:04 PM

Post #6 of 24 (12467 views)
Shortcut

Not got a map at work, but would throw the following into the equation:

Vauxhall - Corinthian-Casuals played here from 1950-1963

Shepherd's Bush is only just outside the circle line

Tufnell Park - home of the Casuals, Tufnell Park, London Caledonians and Islington Corinthians at various times when the land lords were not getting out of their prams.

Paddington played in the Parthenon League in the 1950's

www.dognduck.net The Wanderers F.C. - OUT NOW - The Corinthians

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 24 (12449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robcavallini] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Must be Paddington FC. Where did they play?

robcavallini
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2008, 1:30 PM

Post #8 of 24 (12439 views)
Shortcut

sorry I can not help you there - no idea about their ground

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 1:38 PM

Post #9 of 24 (12438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robcavallini] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paddington is only a mile from Oxford Street so must be the winner. I wonder what sort of a ground they had.

Kavjack
Junior Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 2:36 PM

Post #10 of 24 (12426 views)
Shortcut

Just a guess here, but I feel that Paddington F.C.'s ground was either (1) on top of a large block of flats with home and away fans needing to use separate elevators, or (2) located in seldom used part of Paddington station near the customer service area and not near the British Rail Union tea rooms.

Paludian
Junior Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 3:22 PM

Team(s): Horsham Slough Town Frickley Athletic

Post #11 of 24 (12416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kavjack] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One of my old football books states that when Summerstown FC folded Wealdstone purchased the stand from their Garratt Lane ground and re-erected it at Lower Mead. I imagine many people know that already but I couldn't resist the opportunity of posting after another Frickley supporter.

Kavjack
Junior Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 3:34 PM

Post #12 of 24 (12406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paludian] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't know that there were any Frickley supporters in southern English places like Horsham. I bought my last motorbike on Garratt Lane in Tooting. Occasionally I would travel on that scenic route from Tooting Broadway station up Garratt Lane to Wandsworth town hall. Never saw any footy grounds on the way though.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 12, 2008, 3:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 24 (12405 views)
Shortcut

There is a sports complex within the blocks of flats etc. where Paddington Tennis Club play. I think it has always been a tennis club but is remarkably large and well tucked away. Easily big enough for a football pitch or two.

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 3:41 PM

Post #14 of 24 (12399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or maybe the site where Paddington Rec is now?

Kavjack
Junior Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 3:52 PM

Post #15 of 24 (12392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Football Man] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I once read that the Imperial yard fixture on the north side of Trafalgar Square was considered to be the centre of London. The National Gallery occupies the north side of the square. In the stone under the balustrade, you can see the Imperial Standards of Length (1 foot, 2 feet, 1 yard etc.).(www.aboutbritain.com/TrafalgarSquare.htm) After all if you are measuring distances you need to have your units defined. Wikipedia supports the idea of the Cross at Charing Cross. However St. Paul's Cathedral also has a claim to be the official centre for road mileage purposes. "That original position of the cross is recognised by modern convention[1] as the centre of London for the purpose of indicating distances by road in favour of other previous measurement points (such as St. Paul's Cathedral which remains as the root of the English and Welsh part of the Great Britain road numbering scheme)."

cope1

Jun 12, 2008, 4:40 PM

Post #16 of 24 (12379 views)
Shortcut

Honourable Artillery Company - now in the Amateur Football Combination - used to play at Armoury House in Moorgate but you may not count them as 'senior'.

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 5:14 PM

Post #17 of 24 (12372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes HAC were very central but not a senior club. The most central ground is Westminster School's, but again not a senior club.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 12, 2008, 7:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 24 (12349 views)
Shortcut

1st Coldstream Guards (southern League 1896/97) were billeted at Wellington Barracks on Birdcage Walk, but I don't think they played there. Anyone know where they played? Windsor rings a bell for some reason.

jrev61

Jun 12, 2008, 10:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #19 of 24 (12327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dulwich Hamlet ( and Fisher) are probably the nearest current senior club to the centre of London.

jrev61

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2008, 11:31 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #20 of 24 (12317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Dulwich Hamlet ( and Fisher) are probably the nearest current senior club to the centre of London.

Chelsea?

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

robcavallini
Youth Team Regular

Jun 16, 2008, 9:44 PM

Post #21 of 24 (12135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chelsea are not a club, just a bunch of overpaid tarts

cope1

Jun 16, 2008, 10:30 PM

Post #22 of 24 (12128 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chelsea are not a club, just a bunch of overpaid tarts

Not that you're making any judgements or anything Tongue

robcavallini
Youth Team Regular

Jun 19, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #23 of 24 (12005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Closest senior club to Central London [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i would not dream of doing that ;)

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 22, 2008, 10:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 24 (11820 views)
Shortcut

Vincent Square was used regularly by Old Westminsters, who were presumably Senior, having reached the FA Cup QF twice and competed in the LSC. I believe their bigger games were played at Kennington Oval.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3