Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Reg Flewin

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 9, 2008, 7:30 PM

Post #1 of 6 (11240 views)
Shortcut
Reg Flewin Can't Post or Reply Privately

Had my idea of a section for obits been in place then I would have given a lot of space to today's news of the death of REG FLEWIN the old Portsmouth captain who has died aged 87. He was one of those rareties who played for only one team throughout his career as did his contemporaries Jimmy Dickinson and Peter Harris. Flewin went to Wembley with Portsmouth in 1939 and again last month. He died eight days after watching them lift the trophy.

(This post was edited by R.S.Cavendish on Jun 21, 2008, 11:07 AM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Jun 9, 2008, 8:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (11189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Another Obituary [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manager of Bournemouth in the early 60's

Simple Pieman
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 10, 2008, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Tottenham Hotspur and (When I can) Harlow Town

Post #3 of 6 (10794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Another Obituary [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Really nice that he was able to watch them win the FA Cup this season and probably something he never expected. I would be interested to see an obits section on here, particularly for content such as this.

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 23, 2008, 4:16 PM

Post #4 of 6 (10364 views)
Shortcut

There is a very good obituary on Flewin in today's 'Independent.'

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 6 (10300 views)
Shortcut

Here is the piece from the 'Independent':

http://www.independent.co.uk/...-captain-852364.html

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

cheesemonster
Junior Team Star

Jul 7, 2008, 1:28 PM

Post #6 of 6 (10067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Another Obituary [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Flewin was the first person born in Portsmouth to play for Pompey, and to end up captaining his home town club to two First Division Championships is 'Roy of the Rovers stuff'.

It was all the more sweeter as the legendary Pompey manager Jack Tinn had publically stated that no player from Portsmouth would ever be good enough to play for the club, yet was man enough to 'eat his words' and select Flewin for the team in 1939.

Reg had to watch from the sidelines in the 1939 FA Cup final triumph, with no subs permitted back then, but did get a chance to play at the twin towers in the 1942 London War Cup final, although Brentford ran out 2-0 winners.

Flewin was also the first man from Portsmouth to pull on an England jersey, but sadly no caps were awarded for the 'war internationals'.

His finest honour though was surely lifting aloft the Football League Championship trophy as winning captain in 1948-49 and 1949-50.

I was not aware he had attended the 2008 FA Cup final, so that's a truly wonderful story.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3