Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 13th January 2018


First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 13, 2018, 10:07 PM

Posts: 7908
Location: Northampton
Team(s): None

Post #26 of 94 (6125 views)
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Allexton and New Parks 3 Ibstock United 1 (Everards Brewery Leicestershire Senior League Premier League)

Adm. free Prog. No Att. 26

I have typed a long report on the above game and the sodding thing crashed!
I will just say it was a poor, niggly game and I was threatened by a player who thought I called him a 'donkey', which I did not!


Reserve Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 10:15 PM

Posts: 803
Location: Birmingham
Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #27 of 94 (6094 views)
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Western League

Ashton & Backwell United 0 Oldland Abbotonians 1 Att - 42 28 h/c

Decent game in which I was grateful to see a goal. Ashton belied their lowly position and put in a good performance against there higher opponents. Game was at the Lancer Scott Stadium in Backwell. 2 seated stand and not much else really. The goal came on around 60 minutes, converting a cross from the right.

Report and pics on my blog

Please feel free to visit my blog at

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

Posts: 3019
Location: Berks.
Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #28 of 94 (6019 views)
Re: [jrev61] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The third time I've taken advantage of a double offered by a later kickoff in the Welsh Premier League and the third time that the lower division game beforehand ended up being the highlight of the day. I'd given both Pontypridd and Pontyclun secretaries a call at the services to check the games were on. No reply initially, but both rang back almost immediately. Easy choice to make in the end (I'll be at Pontypridd sooner rather than later I hope).

Pontyclun 1-2 Newport City
Welsh Football League 3rd Division

Another excellent candidate for friendliest club of the season and I was made to feel very welcome. Even had a cup of tea made by the club captain (suspended for today) and good to talk to the knowledgable programme editor. There is a new changing room, clubhouse block by the entrance with a small area of standing cover on the same side between the dugouts and a little uncovered hard standing too. It's railed round three sides, with old floodlights on the far side. The old club buildings look unused in the far corner. Next door is the local rugby club. They've got new floodlights, but not much else in a more open ground.

Newport took advantage of some early lax defending to take a second minute lead and for a while looked the more likely to score again, though Pontyclun gradually got back in the game and were worth an equaliser just before the hour. Unfortunately for them partity didn't last long, a clearance from their keeper only found an onrushing striker. Decent chances for an equaliser, but it never came.

Easy trip down to Barry, and managed to park almost in front of the turnstiles.

Barry Town United 0-1 Bala Town
Welsh Premier League

One of the better grounds with athletics tracks round them, putting jumps at the end allows the stands to be closer to the pitch which looked freshly mown*. One down each side, both with a little room for standing at the back. Several of the crowd watched from the elevated clubhouse at the northern side of the ground. The club were also handing out bananas before the game.

I've not had too much luck with this league, and am not too sure what to make of it as it seems a rather strange hybrid of non-league/league. Far too many long balls and misplaces passes in this one, eventually won midway through the second half by a Bala counter-attack.

*and yes, I know it wasn't.

First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 10:36 PM

Posts: 1823

Post #29 of 94 (5999 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newcastle 4 Llanrhaeadr Reserves 2

Mill Field: Emrys Morgan Cup Fourth Round

This was my second visit to Newcastle in the space of a month after having been present for the excellent 2-1 victory over Aberystwyth League First Division leaders Bont in the previous round of the competition. That result meant the Shropshire club earned a home tie with 2010/11 beaten finalists and the opportunity to progress one stage further than last term when the Mill Field men lost 5-0 at Crannog in the last 16 stage of the competition. As I have mentioned previously, this is one of my favourite grounds, given its bucolic location in the south Shropshire hills and rustic charm with the small stand nestled between the one touchline and a hedge. Newcastle came into this afternoon's cup tie in third place in the Mid Wales League (South) table following a 6-0 home victory over St Harmon last weekend. The furthest that the Shropshire outfit had reached in the prestigious cup was back in 2010/11, when Newcastle were eventually defeated by New Quay in the quarter-finals, before the Mackerel Men went on to beat Llanrhaeadr Reserves in the final. The Tannat Valley club came into today's match in mid-table in the Montgomeryshire League Second Division and their last outing was the 8-1 home victory over Brecon Northcote Reserves in the last round of the Emrys Morgan Cup just before Christmas.

The visitors had the first shot on goal in the fourth minute but the Newcastle held an effort from 30 yards before the home team shot just over from 25 yards after a corner was partially cleared. The Shropshire men headed wide from a 20th minute corner before Llanrhaeadr Reserves broke forward two minutes later but eventually fired wide from 25 yards. A Newcastle player then cut inside a visiting defender in the 28th minute but pulled his effort wide off the target before home striker Carl Jones broke clear 11 minutes later but was twice denied by the Waterfallmen's custodian. The Tanat Valley outfit headed over from a 40th minute corner before they broke the deadlock five minutes later after breaking from their own half and a cross from the left was converted at the far post. Llanrhaeadr Reserves had a good opportunity to double their lead in the opening minute of the second-half after breaking clear again but fired an effort wide from 25 yards. The Newcastle goalkeeper was nearly caught out by a shot from the right-hand touchline in the 52nd minute before the visitors increased their advantage three minutes later when their impressive number 11 cut inside from the left touchline and drove goalwards before seeing his low shot nestle inside the far post. The Shropshire men halved the deficit in the 57th minute when the ball was scrambled home from close range and then headed over the target from a 65th minute corner before shooting at the Llanrhaeadr Reserves goalkeeper after a cross from the right. Newcastle levelled the scores in the 74th minute with a low shot on the turn after the ball was played back into the penalty area when the visitors partially cleared a corner. The Newcastle goalkeeper managed to fumbled a low shot from the edge of his penalty area just behind his near post for a corner in the 83rd minute before the away custodian misjudged a through ball four minutes later and it eventually trickled over the line for the Shropshire men to go ahead for the first time. The hosts confirmed victory in stoppage time when they broke on the counter attack and a low cross was turned into the net by the veteran Jimmy Thomas.

Newtown 3 Prestatyn Town 0

Latham Park: JD Welsh Premier League

Whilst there was just one month between my recent visits to Newcastle, this re-visit to Latham Park took place just four days after attending Newtown's last home fixture, when the Robins came from behind to defeat Cardiff Metropolitan University 3-2. With the final round of fixtures in the Welsh Premier League starting at 5:15pm today, to coincide with the live televised match between Cefn Druids and Llandudno, it meant that there were several opportunities to double-up across the Principality, as a number of people on this forum had chosen to do so today. The Robins came into this evening's match in ninth place in the Welsh Premier League table following an excellent second-half performance to defeat the visiting Archers on Tuesday evening. Victory for the hosts today's would keep them within touching distance of the teams at the top of the play-off conference, before the second phase of fixtures commence at the beginning of February, and the opportunity to compete for a Europa League place in May. Prestatyn Town found themselves ensconced in the relegation zone, following their promotion as Cymru Alliance champions last summer, and their previous outing last Friday evening resulted in a 4-1 home defeat at the hands of The New Saints. Although victory for the Seasiders would keep themselves in touching distance of the teams just above the drop zone as the key fixtures against their relegation rivals begin next month.

The Robins carried on from where they left off on Tuesday evening as they started this fixture on the front foot against their relegation threatened opponents. Ryan Kershaw's 25 yard free-kick narrowly flew over the Prestatyn Town crossbar in the ninth minute before Luke Bounford fired an effort on the turn straight at the Seasiders' custodian eight minute later after the ball was played back into the visitors penalty area when a corner was only partially cleared. Newtown finally opened the scoring in the 24th minute when Jamie Reed found the back of the neck when he converted a low cross from the left whilst falling over at the same time. Boundford had a header saved from a cross on the left 12 minutes later before he fired wide from close range after the Prestatyn Town goalkeeper had parried a low 20 yard drive. The visitors had a close range effort saved by Robins custodian Dave Jones six minutes after the interval before Kershaw had a 20 yard shot deflected behind for a corner just a couple minutes later and the Robins headed over from the subsequent set piece. Reed latched on to a 58th minute through ball but the visiting custodian denied him with his legs before Prestatyn Town had a low 25 yard effort saved on the hour mark. Boundford was denied again in the 64th minute before the impressive Fletcher rounded the Seasiders' custodian six minutes later to net the Robins' second of the evening. Newtown headed wide from a 78th minute cross before the scoring was completed five minutes later when Joe Kenton converted a low cross from the right to secure the victory for the Montgomeryshire hosts.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 501
Matches: 113
New Grounds: 12

First Team Sub

Jan 13, 2018, 10:41 PM

Posts: 1034
Location: Ipswich
Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #30 of 94 (5984 views)
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Ipswich - Leeds

We won and no surprise to many - Leeds finished the game with 10 men

Last New ground; Berkhamsted, Games in 2019/20 Season; 36, New Grounds this Season; 14, Next scheduled game: tbc

Reserve Team Regular

Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 PM

Posts: 681
Location: Guildford/Yaxley
Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #31 of 94 (5870 views)
Re: [adji] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anglian Combination League Division 1
Wymondham Town 3 Sheringham 1

Admission: Free, Programme: £1
Attendance: 60 h/c

While this wasn't the level of football I had hoped to be watching at the start of the day, this game was a decent afternoon's entertainment for both my first groundhop of 2018 and my first game below Step 6 of the pyramid.

With both teams competing near the top of the league for promotion (with Wymondham in 2nd and Sheringham in 3rd going into the game), and with only two losses between them this season, I was expecting a tight, competitive game. Right from the kick-off, the latter proved to be true, with neither side holding back in the tackle and the game quickly becoming very physical and aggressive, to the point that I started to wonder if the two sides have some kind of history with each other, as there seemed to be a lot of bad blood between the two teams: for instance, Wymondham could have easily had Charlie Blake sent off within the first ten minutes, and come the end of the game I was surprised he had lasted the full 90. In any event, this approach to the game meant that clear-cut chances were few and far between in the opening fifteen minutes, with neither team looking particularly like scoring.

However, after 17 minutes, Wymondham broke the deadlock, a cross into the box headed in from close range by Danny Pennell. Their lead was then doubled nine minutes later when an excellent through ball put Ashley Mitchell into the box, leaving him to calmly shoot past Chris Bird in the Sheringham goal. Sheringham started to push hard for a way back into the game, but were unable to make the most of their chances to do so. Their frustration was then compounded when, on 40 minutes, Wymondham's Aaron Nixon scored an outstanding goal, chipping the ball into the net from 35 yards out, much to the surprise of everyone in the ground; at Step 8, you definitely don't expect to see someone able to score like that, even if inept goalkeeping definitely contributed to it (Bird was more or less on his line, yet was unable to do anything to stop the ball from dipping behind him and into the net). While this should have seen Wymondham comfortably clear, and Sheringham out of the game, the away side were seemingly woken up by this goal and cranked up the pressure, taking just four minutes to pull one back: a free kick was played into the box and Ben Boyce had a free header from which to score. The situation continued to improve for Sheringham during added time when Wymondham's Charlie Blake was sin-binned for persistent dissent.

As for the second half, Sheringham started on the front foot, having been gifted a way back into the game through Boyce's goal and the man advantage for the first ten minutes of the half. However, despite chance after chance after chance throughout the half, I would be hard-pressed to say that they ever actually looked like scoring, as their efforts were hindered either by wasteful finishing or by overly-slow build-up play allowing Wymondham to bring bodies back to defend with. In fact, even though Sheringham had the vast majority of the chances in the second half, Wymondham had the best chance after around 75 minutes, Ashley Mitchell set through one-on-one but having his shot well-saved by Bird in the Sheringham goal (his first save of the entire game, I seem to recall). In the end, the game finished 3-1 to the home side, with the second half ultimately being more notable for some, shall we say, lackluster refereeing, the most notable mistakes being that he missed a blatant back pass and a blatant handball in the box; other than this, he just generally didn't control the game enough, in that he didn't book or send off anyone to curb the increasing physicality of tackles in the second half, something which undoubtedly hindered proceedings.

Overall, for my first trip below Step 6, it was a better game than I expected, but it did pretty much completely peter out during the second half, which was a shame really as the first half had been a good contest despite the excessive physicality. Still, it could have been a whole lot worse, I suppose.

As for the ground, being a Step 8 ground there isn't much to it: no seating or cover of any kind, and the only area of hard standing is in front of the club house and, as such, isn't even directly pitch-side, with the clubhouse being elevated above the pitch. The area in front of the clubhouse also had a proper perimeter fence, but the rest of the pitch was only enclosed by rope. Not much to write home about, but it certainly did the job, and I get the feeling that Wymondham have a better set-up than the typical Step 7/8 team. In fact, the ground even has three floodlight pylons in front of the clubhouse, but only on that side of the pitch (they weren't used, so I can only assume they don't work, or just aren't used because they're pretty pointless when only on one side of the ground).

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 11 (Most Recent: Aldershot Town)
Games: 20
Goals: 65
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.25
0-0s: 1

My Blog:

First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 PM

Posts: 1483
Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #32 of 94 (5870 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Skybet Championship
Cardiff City 4-0 Sunderland
Admission £23, Programme £3, Att: 17,703

Least said about this one the better. We were dire and, while 4-0 may have flattered Cardiff very slightly, they certainly deserved a two or three goal margin. A 12.30 kick off meant a ridiculously start for the travelling support, but it did at least allow more ‘sorrows drowning’ time in the pub afterwards.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 11:22 PM

Posts: 2552
Location: North of the Aire
Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #33 of 94 (5843 views)
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Riding FA Challenge Cup Round 4

Alwoodley FC v Aberford Albion 3-0

Alwoodley's pitch is parallel to that of Moortown RUFC who were also at home this afternnon. The pitch has a rail running the length of the Social Club side where there are also two dugouts. There is a rail at the other side, but for the Rugby.

The game pitted Y.A.L Premier against W.Y Div1. Kick off was five minutes late due to the late arrival of the referee The home side took an 11th minute lead with a splendid volley from a good cross. It was two three minutes in to the second half when the referee was in an excellent position to see that the ball had crossed the line before being cleared. A "soft" penalty on the hour clinched the game for Alwwodley who join fellow Y.A.L club Leeds Medics & Dentists in the last eight.

(This post was edited by Loiner on Jan 13, 2018, 11:23 PM)

Youth Team Regular

Jan 13, 2018, 11:30 PM

Posts: 232
Location: Cheltenham

Post #34 of 94 (5805 views)
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Full of admiration for you reaching the parts of Haverhill into which I never ventured despite being at school there for five years...

Meanwhile I was at
Southern League Div 1 East
Beaconsfield 3-2 Cambridge City
Adm £8, Att 111

I also lived in and around Cambridge for a couple of years after uni and very much enjoyed my handful of visits to the City Ground, so Cambridge City are a team I look out for, the chance to see them in a promotion clash made this the obvious choice today.

The first half of this game was forgettable to say the least. As I texted my better half to predict the dreaded 0-0 early in the second half Beaconsfield scored from a poorly defended long ball. Cambridge then took the lead through two well worked goals taking advantage of some weak defending in the inside right channel and a keeper prone to rushing out when he really shouldn't.

Unfortunately for the Lilywhites the home side, who had done much less of the attacking, found the net twice in the last 10 minutes (Minhas netting a hat-trick) to take the spoils.

I liked Holloways Park more than I expected to. Three areas of cover, two of which are of decent size, and a few steps of terracing either side of halfway. It does its job as a step 4 type ground and offers plenty of options when choosing your vantage point.

Instagram: JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jan 13, 2018, 11:31 PM)

First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 11:49 PM

Posts: 2407

Post #35 of 94 (5749 views)
Re: [intheshire] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Counties East League Div 1
Holmesdale 1-0 Fisher
Adm £7, prog £1, tea £1, att 60ish

An easy jaunt out, catching the 320 bus from right outside Bromley South Station which drops you 100 yards from the ground and, conveniently, right outside the Two Doves pub if a snifter is required. The ground is surprisingly rural with a muddy path down to the ground and smallholdings and horse paddocks on either side. There is a stand on the far side with padded seats (OK, cushions nailed to wooden boards), which were reasonably comfy! Uncovered hardstanding round the pitch barring a small scaffolding cover behind one goal. There is a fairly basic clubhouse in the corner where the entrance is with a bar and tea hatch. Didn't sample the food but it seemed popular.

The game was far from a classic with little to warm the cockles on a raw day. Neither side really seemed to be able to supply a good final pass or cross. Even when Fisher did create a few chances, and they did have the majority of the game, two excellent saves from the home keeper denied them. The only goal came from a calamitous attempted clearance of a cross which was sliced horribly past his own keeper. It was the right sort of goal to win the game... The experience wasn't improved by the constant whining and screeching by both sets of players and managements.

First Team Star

Jan 13, 2018, 11:50 PM

Posts: 2807
Location: South Hampshire
Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #36 of 94 (5745 views)
Re: [intheshire] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bonus report from local hopper John:

Wessex League Premier

Hamble Club 2 Andover T. 2

Andover top of league started in control and were thwarted by a determined Hamble despite missing Crook with Lynch and Troon on the bench. Glasspool should have scored from a corner but his header went over the bar when unmarked and the same player found the ball at his feet in a crowded penalty area but was blocked by Webb in the home goal at the foot of the post. Barry Mason another ex Sholing player started to test the Andover defence down the flanks and they took a surprise lead on the half hour against the run of play with their first meaningful attack. Bull did well to get to the by line and his cross reached Watts who controlled the ball and set up Mc Carthy whose sublime curled shot from the edge of the area found the top corner beyond the despairing dive of Cairney in the Andover goal: a candidate for goal of the season acknowledged by the Andover twitter account. Hamble continued to press and Watts was nearly put through and the red head Mac Gookin was impressive in the middle for Hamble who doubled their lead after good work from Watts let in Mc Carthy with space on the left side of the penalty area who rode a challenge and calmly angled the ball beyond the keeper and defenders in the goalmouth. HT 2-0.

Second half started the same as the first with Andover enjoying most of the play with little end product though the Hamble defender Wilson got on the end of a through ball but failed to find the target. Glasspool came close for Andover again early on but the ball went wide of the post and their luck appeared to run out when Silver got goal side but his effort hit the side netting. With time running out a good move from Andover on the left put Gosney through to slot the ball into the far corner of the net. It looked as though Andover would have to settle for a consolation goal as your correspondent edged towards the exit when Silver turned in the penalty area and smashed the ball into the roof of the net. The referee added nearly 10 minutes of injury time as both sides went all out to score the winner and Andover thought they had earned a penalty when the substitute went clear in the box only to be sent crashing to the ground by a desperate challenge. The linesman flagged for a penalty but the referee overruled the linesman much to the relief of the home side though I have often seen these type of challenges given and Hamble survived another penalty appeal but on the balance of play Hamble deserved at least a point with Mc Carthy arguably man of the match, credit also to Bull for his running and fitness. Programme £1 for leaflet on South Coast Builders. FT 2-2

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Reserve Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 12:10 AM

Posts: 772
Location: Tring, Hertfordshire
Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #37 of 94 (5694 views)
Re: [stingray] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
South Midlands Premier
2x Tea £1.50 Crisps, golden Goal & Programme £1.00 each
Attendance about 90

After last week, it was a relief to get back to normal for a while and this was a much brighter and more accomplished performance than our stuttering start at their "place" back in August. Two up at half time, they pulled one back with a useful run and lob with eight minutes left but two more for us in the dying minutes sealed it and gave the scoreline a somewhat flattering look.

The new catering facilities seem to have settled down, but last week's introductory prices seem to be a thing of the past with coffee weighing in at a substantial £2.00 and cake slices at £2.50. Maybe it reflects the fees we're charging them.

Only two sides open today as work continues to replace the rickety wooden fencing with more substantial green metal railings which at least you can balance your cup on.

I'm glad you posted as Full Time is currently showing Leighton 1 Tigers 13! I was slightly baffled as to how that score might have happened...

Karen Browne
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2018, 12:36 AM

Posts: 991
Location: Pocklington, East Yorkshire
Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #38 of 94 (5631 views)
Re: [miswell] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
South Midlands Premier
2x Tea £1.50 Crisps, golden Goal & Programme £1.00 each
Attendance about 90

I'm glad you posted as Full Time is currently showing Leighton 1 Tigers 13! I was slightly baffled as to how that score might have happened...

Now corrected, error due to incorrect result text from London Tigers

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 14, 2018, 1:31 AM

Posts: 17959
Location: South Birmingham
Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #39 of 94 (5554 views)
Re: [miswell] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

13.30 FAW Trophy 5 : Abertillery Bluebirds 1 Rhos Aelwyd 3. Admission/programme by donation. Attendance : 114 (hc)

Met up with catchagogoal at M5/J6 by the Swan at Whittington for a 75-minute journey to 3G land. I was tempted to head for Brynmawr today (which ended 17-0) but felt my passenger was more interested in what was an intriguing South v North tie on paper between the sides lying second (and unbeaten) in the Gwent top division and the second-placed side in the second tier of the Wrexham Area league. It may have been a waste of a 3G tick on a day when most games survived round here, but these days there are many 3G options for when they're really needed.
Bluebirds still use the wonderfully scenic Cwmnantygroes ground at Six Bells where I saw them play ten years ago but it's for the reserves these days. The first team now use the Abertillery Leisure Centre in the town centre which has apparently been approved for the Welsh League should they overhaul table-toppers Albion Rovers. It's not a thing of beauty which funnily enough also befits the town of Abertillery, but it's a decent facility with lights, 3G surface and cover down the far side even if that does lack a back and sides like some hoppers' heads. There are vending machines in the leisure centre with hot drinks at 60p and you'll probably need to get change at reception as none of the machines accept the new £1 coin Crazy As we had time before the game, I wandered into the town to find a cafe and struggled to put away what I assumed would be a simple bacon and egg bap at the first cafe I encountered on Church Street. I was presented with a knife and fork to tame an open sub covered with four rashers and two fried eggs! This with a cuppa for £4.20.

Back at the ground, catchagogoal had caught up with Mick Smallman, David Collins and fellow posters gcnc and Richard Rundle and had snaffled two of the 50 programmes produced for today, a decent sixteen-page effort. We stood next to a contingent who'd travelled down from Wrexham, probably on the coach given the quantities of cans of strongbow being quaffed. The visitors surprised me with their play and though their initial lead was wiped out by half-time, they retook the lead whilst I was still in the vending machine queue at half-time and added to it late on for a well-deserved win. A very enjoyable game and good knowledgable company to boot. We then headed 38 miles south to

17.15 : Welsh Premier League : Barry Town United 0 Bala Town 1. Admission £8/£5; Programme £2. Attendance : 300 est

My previous visit to Jenner Park was for a Southern League Midland Division game against Stourbridge in October 1991 (2-1, att 251) and it's fair to say that I don't recall much about the ground save that I watched it from atop a bank well above pitch level. Nowadays it consists of seated stands on either side with what I assume was the "viewing bank" now being the grassed area and car park behind the stand on the right as you exit the clubhouse. We had time before the game for a swifty at Barry's only GBG 2017 entry, the friendly West End Club with three average ales on tap and legal parking almost impossible.
Parking at the ground was found in the street opposite the clubhouse where I followed some blokes in who were I assumed paying subs or suchlike so I just wandered past and found myself inside the ground. My Catholic guilt wouldn't allow it so I went back and paid up as I'm sure all posters would have done Angelic More forum members encountered here including club legend TP Johnson, yorkieexile and veteran whilst former poster sewnapart and his better half were their usual chatty selves.
Only fizz on offer in the clubhouse whilst the food was from a burger wagon situated at the far end of the ground. Just a cuppa and Mars then as we stood at the back of the seats on the right, more elevated stand. The game wasn't a patch on the earlier game at Abertillery in terms of entertainment and a breakaway goal midway through the second half gave Bala a win that sealed their place in the Top Six round after today's split whilst Barry must compete in the Bottom Six round which is something of a shame for one of the league's better supported clubs. Again, the ground isn't the most characterful as it's a modern-ish athletics stadium with a pitch in the middle, but the fine stands and good elevation overcome that to give good viewing and I do like to be able to stand at the back like here whereas many other clubs insist that you take a seat and don't permit standing. I should also mention the excellent programme with it's very striking and unusual cover.
The M4 was closed in the Brynglas tunnel area which meant a diversion round the southern side of Newport but this only added five minutes to our journey back and it was key in door at 21.15

lovin spoonful
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 14, 2018, 4:46 AM

Posts: 434

Post #40 of 94 (5381 views)
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Trelawny League Division 4

As I was driving home from work at 4.45 on Saturday morning, the rain covering my 40 odd mile drive was pretty constant. I could see why some games were in doubt. Nevertheless, the plan was to watch Carharrack Res who had a planned noon kick off and then race to either Carharrack 1sts in the Cornwall Senior Cup at home to Torpoint Athletic, or Wendron United Res at home to Lostwithiel in the Junior Cup. In bed by six, up again at 11 only to find all SWPL and all Cornwall Senior Cup games cancelled.
Gone too was my 12 noon game. Troon were down for a 12.30 kick off but with no appointed referee I decided to give it a miss and then Trispen was my next choice. An hour or so later I checked again only to find most of the Trelawny League as well as the whole Cornwall Combination League programme had gone.
I'm not a fan of 3G pitches, but knowing that Hayle have one, and a home game, and a game that was still on, I decided it counts as a new ground so decided on that.
A hardy crowd of about 10 took their positions in the standing area of Trevassack Park's new 3G pitch, running parallel to the main pitch. Yes it is enclosed by those horrible cages but Hayle have made a provision that spectators have their own area along one touchline to stand. Slightly restrictive but who cares, it's a game in appalling weather.
Having watched my last six games with no more than four goals in either (3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 2), I was pleased to see a goal after just 48 seconds as the home team took the lead with a low shot under the body of the keeper. The home side would hit the bar once and the post twice before the 21 minute mark of the game. During which time my mate texted me to tell me that the Troon Res v Madron game which I did consider (but kicked off at 11.30 so I would have missed most of it finished 15-3 - 10-1 at half time!)
The promising start seemed to disappear until the half hour mark when poor defending from the lowly visitors allowed Hayle to double their advantage with a bundled finish from close range.
Two minutes later a 30 yarder flew into the net and the score was 3-0. After 40 minutes it was 4-0 as the home side scored from a breakaway move.
The Goonhavern linesman looked at me in disbelief and asked if it was four already. I concurred but within two minutes it was 5-0 as the home side strolled through the visitors defence with ease. There was even time for a sixth goal on half time with a well worked move.
The previous evening Bodmin beat St Dennis 8-1 in the Cornwall Senior Cup and led 7-0 at half time. I texted my mate to say this would probably be similar and for a while it looked like that.
It was 7-0 after 49 minutes when a player waltzed through the defence and struck a low shot into the corner.
After 57 minutes the visitors pulled a goal back with their best move of the game which ended with a low shot into the bottom corner.
That was it until the 78th minute when a shot from the edge of the box went through the keepers hands and looped up under the bar for 8-1. The bespectacled custodian had made some great saves during the game but his confidence was shot by this point. Goal number nine after 84 minutes, he barely moved as a low 25 yard shot went in and on 90 minutes, double figures were reached with another long distant drive which saw the keeper barely move for. I was pleased with 11 goals to take my average this season to 5.89. Now the ladies continue with their season from today (any games that are left!!) hopefully I can raise that average to above the 6 mark.
Anyone who has been to Hayle will know the set up. The old youth pitch beside the main one has gone and been replaced with a 3G. A typical basic 3G in green cage but a god send in this weather when rain only seems to come on Friday to ruin Saturdays!!

Last 0-0 draw: Friday 04/11/2016 Bodmin Town v Plymouth Parkway

Junior Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 6:28 AM

Posts: 82
Location: Hertfordshire
Team(s): Wherever I am

Post #41 of 94 (5306 views)
Re: [lovin spoonful] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BOGNOR REGIS Vs LEYTON ORIENT 1-2 (AET), 1-1 f/t, 0-0 h/t

ADM: £12
Food & Drink - Reasonably priced, tea w/ homemade bread pudding £1.60.
Weather - Overcast, chilly
Programme - Heard a club man tell a couple of regulars before kick-off that they had only printed 250 and these were sold out by 1.30pm and they were hurriedly printing off teamsheets .

Chose this one for a new visit and to see intriguing opposition. Arrived in town by midday and had a wander along the pebble beach and what's left of the pier. Filled the lungs with fresh January sea air, ready for the 20 minute walk up Nyewood lane.

Bognor came out the blocks sharp and played with a real intensity. Orient by comparison were lacklustre. The stand out players in the first half being Calvin Davies at RB (man of the match) and Ibra up front who stung the keepers hands. Widdowson for Orient was lucky to only receive a yellow for an off the ball shove in the chest under the lino's nose.
Straight from kick-off in the second half you could see Bognor go in on themselves and Orient finally looked fired up. The cause was helped by a harsh second yellow on the hour mark for a trip (Gilot). Orient had the ball in the net on 70 only for it to be ruled offside and on 80 justice was served when Widdowson saw a second yellow for a trip on the edge of the box to make it 10 vs 10 for the last ten. A couple of minutes later and the O's took the lead with a close range header only for Muitt to unleash a stunning rising half volley swerving away from the keepers hand into the top corner from 20 yards on 90 minutes. Best goal I've seen this season and I hope it was caught on camera.
Both sides not surprising looked tired in extra time in what was an ebbing and flowing cup tie but Orient retook the lead at the end of the first period when Koroma curled one in the top corner. He could have put things beyond doubt but for a double save from the home keeper and Reynolds blazed over just before the end. A valiant effort from Bognor.

There was no segregation and no police presence and supporters mixed and exchanged banter without any hassle. Bognor have an impressive club house behind one goal but the ground does lack any significant elevation with three quarters being three or four steps of hardstanding with some seating along the side. The goal in front of the club house is open to the elements.

Trains all good on the way back despite Brighton station being out of action and back home in time for MOTD before starting the midnight shift.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 7:18 AM

Posts: 1711

Post #42 of 94 (5265 views)
Re: [adji] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

......This seasons FA Trophy forays involved a trip to the Somerset seaside alongside the learned Mr Druryski and as usual the banter flowed all the way and back from...

Weston Super Mare 1 v 1 Workington - FA Trophy 2nd Round
Prog 20 pages £1.50 - Admission £12.00 - Att 361 (thank you Mr Rundle as the attendance has not been reported elsewhere). Large turnout of approx 120 from the Cumbrian Coast

........And Mr D was no doubt pleased with a new ground visit and 2 new ticks in his Costa's Quest. First visit this end since December 2014, still a ground of contrasts with a huge bank of covered terracing behind the far end and a small cramped AtCost with us being warned when taking our seats by the group of Workington supporters behind us that the seat row was 'wobbly'. I like to think that our mutual weight provided a degree of seating equilibrium. Under the greyest of grey skies, but thankfully without rain which seemed to have parked itself over Cornwall, the pitch (which has a reputation for not draining, played without issue). Plus marks for the hosts for treating the ears to Dusty S 'Goin' Back' but minus marks for truncating 'I Only Want to be With You' in order to read out the line ups.

Always drawn in by unusual Trophy couplings and one of the few worthwhile lines in a threadbare excuse for a prog stated that 'this was most certainly the first meeting between the two teams'. In three days time the number of meetings will be doubled after a draw, which looked unlikely at half time but by the end Workington fully deserved.

We were both very impressed by WSM in the first half, they played in a measured and unflustered way and were probably disappointed that they did not end the half more than a goal to the good. Early on a low bouncing cross of the tantalising variety from Plummer crept through the Workington defence without a WSM toe to put the ball in the gaping net. Did not take longer for the Fear of Noughts to be dispensed with until Monday evening when a WSM corner from the right was not cleared by the visiting defence leaving Welch on the edge of the area to drive through an effort which took a clear deflection befoe finding the top of the net to give WSM the lead.

The hosts were perpetually comfortable in possession but failed to build on their advantage with their best opportunity towards the end of the half being an attempted chip by Lee over Taylor, which did not quite have the height and the latter was able to clutch. Little was seen from Workington going forward, but Parnell in the WSM goal had to act quickly to push a shot from Tinnion which was creeping into the far corner around the post.

From the visitors perspective, the second half was completely different with them attacking far more frequently. They also created plenty of opportunities that were not taken though Parnell was called upon to make a couple of important saves. The leveller arrived with Waterston speeding clear of Greenslade on the right and sending over a low cross which was perfect for Allison to tap in from a couple of yards out. Not surprisingly the hordes behind the goal were exuberant but they acted sensibly quickly extinguishing a flare which had been let off and which caused consternation with the stewards who were a constant presence at the far end during the second half.

Excellent remaining half hour where both teams had the opportunity to avoid a home replay/6 hour trek up the M5,M6 to the freezing Cumbrian coast. The visitors had a big call for a penalty when Allison was bundled over with the sort of challenge that would lead many men in black to point instantaneously to the spot and then Symington brought out an excellent save from Parnell touching his effort around the post. Several opportunities for the hosts to avoid a replay the best coming in the final minutes when Greenslade latched onto a pass inside from Lee but saw his goalbound effort deflected wide of the far post.

Contest rattled along at quite a pace with few stoppages and well reffed by Aiden Bromley. Though I am sure that the visitors will hardly be looking forward to spending most of Tuesday and probably quite a number of the small hours of Wednesday morning traversing the motorways of England en route to what is one of this country's true footballing outposts.

Easy journeys there and back via Bristol Temple Meads arriving WSM spot on midday. The star of the early afternoon was an extremely assertive seagull outside the town centre Costa's who had his eye on a Muffin, which was being eaten on one of the outside tables. If it had not been for a timely wave of the arms then the Muffin would have been stolen from the hands of the consumer in an incident what was viewed as vaguely Hithcockian.

A rare day where there was not one trip to a GBG listed hostelry. Lunch was taken at the Cabot Hotel (JDW) for what was a bog standard JDW experience and in the interests of sheer convenience, post match in 'Off the Rails' an old style station buffet that in previous years was a GBG fixture. No longer the case as the tired environs played host to an eclectic array of female tattoo's and the towering presence of (I think) mein host dressed up as Cher (?) ready for the evening Karaoke. The pint of Box Steam Tunnel Vision was as tired as the surroundings.......

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Jan 14, 2018, 7:57 AM)

First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 7:19 AM

Posts: 1463

Post #43 of 94 (5265 views)
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately


112. Saturday 13 January 2018 - Hellenic Division 1 East - Attendance: 52
Sandhurst Town (red & black stripes & black) 3-2 Penn & Tylers Green (blue & white stripes & blue)
Scorers: Sandhurst Town (Harlowe 1, C.Oakley 23 pen & 32) Penn & Tylers Green (Jordan 59 pen & 64 pen)
New Ground: Bottom Meadow, railed off part of Sandhurst Memorial Park, behind the high hedge
Pitch: half cut, being the middle part only, the ends too soft and muddy for a lawnmower
Travel: M4 to Bracknell and beyond, via Windsor, Wokingham and Crowthorne
Weather: 6-7 degrees, solid grey cloud

It has been a relatively dry week and I fancied some grass. A new ground was not essential, it never is these days. I’ve eyed up Sandhurst Town before, but a visit had never become a reality. Penn & Tylers Green usually provide attractive opposition, so all was set fair for play. Also, it’s always good to meet up with their ever popular Hon Secretary Mr Andreas Latta*, even if only to remind him again that Geoff Hurst’s third goal was over the goal line by about half a mile.

Sandhurst Town were clean away and scored after 40 seconds. They set off down the right and a slightly wayward cross was headed home with a full length dive at knee height. The perfect start and onwards, as Sandhurst Town added two more before half-time, taking the first-half by storm. Penn & Tylers Green had to tough it out, clearly not their day, but for all their grumbles and groans, I couldn’t see anything wrong with either the second or third goals. Although, to be fair, I was standing at the other end and looking the wrong way. A complaint could have been justified, but not when your centre-forward delivers a ‘hand of god goal’. Luckily it was chalked off, but only after the referee had first awarded the goal. The second-half was all Penn & Tylers Green, as they converted two penalty-kicks in quick time. What I did find disturbing was that a third claim was arrogantly dismissed, after the home goalkeeper rushed out of his goal and felled an onrushing forward. This was far more obvious, than the previous two and a big decision - clearly wrong. Yet the referee restarted the game giving Penn & Tylers Green a corner-kick. It seems that the referee was the Man of the Match and not for the first time he failed to discharge his duty and made too many serious errors. Penn & Tylers Green failed to get the deserved draw and additionally struck the woodwork twice. A special mention for the car parking official at Sandhurst Town for parking the cars in the swamp - sorry about his foot.

[*Andreas is a very rare breed. He is the only German I know who enjoys watching county cricket. However, his real sporting passion is left behind in Germany. He is a life-long supporter and occasional attendee at Hamburger SV. I suppose really, they are his Leyton Orient of the Bundesliga.]

Trevor P
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 7:35 AM

Posts: 2223
Location: Dawlish
Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #44 of 94 (5235 views)
Re: [HertsHopper] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Farleigh Rovers 2
Combined Counties League, Division One Challenge Cup - Second Round
Att : c30
Sheerwater Recreation Ground, Blackmore Crescent, Sheerwater, Woking
Admission : £1.00 (concession). Programme : £1.00. Coffee : £1.00

A friendly welcome by legendary clubman Trevor Wenden and an upbeat response to recent concerns about compulsory relegation due to shortfalls in ground facilities. A meeting is scheduled next week with the local council in an attempt to make some progress on the problems. I hope it goes well.

This game kicked off at 1:30pm - which indicates one of the key issues here - and I didn't even ask if extra time & penalties applied as I thought it might be tempting fate! It was quite chilly and some of the ballkids looked frozen! They were well-drilled though and did an excellent job. To begin with, it seemed as if Farleigh were determined I should have extra shivering time as they came from behind twice before Sheerwater finally found their shooting boots.

The first half was notable only for the splendid swooping of one of those ever-present Red Kites as the players struggled to find any rhythm and most attempts on goal were scuffed, misdirected or just plain feeble! However, somehow the pattern was broken and Shane Cheeseman gave the home side the lead when the keeper failed to hold onto his 14th. minute effort after he'd given the final defender the slip. Farleigh replied after 27 minutes with a close range volley from a lofted ball into the area before Shane Rideout scored the first of his three goals when he turned quickly & shot home with the keeper out of position. This was in first half stoppage time and there was soon a general movement towards the warmth of the clubroom where hot drinks were most welcome. Far too soon, it seemed, it was back to the chilly winds outside for what turned out to be a much better second period.

A 62nd. minute shot from distance brought the scores level again, but then Sheerwater responded to the need for more urgency and banged in three more in five minutes to make the tie safe. Another game was continuing on the outer pitch as I left, but I decided not to stay & watch!

Added the JDW's in Farnborough & Aldershot. Most interesting beer was in the latter : Crafty Brewing Company's Loxhill Biscuit (3.8%) which had plenty of flavour and was the first time I'd come across anything from this brewery

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Jan 14, 2018, 7:51 AM)

First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2018, 10:07 AM

Posts: 1007
Location: West Sutton
Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #45 of 94 (4846 views)
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Worcester Park 4-3 Frimley Green
Combined Counties League Division 1
@ Skinners Field – Gate – 50 H/C

Another thoroughly entertaining game as the divisional leaders came from 0-3 down to maintain their strong position.
The sun even made a brief appearance and the home side could, and should have been 3 up themselves in the opening 5 minutes or so. Frimley weathered the storm and then took the lead via a well worked free kick converted by Bone and when Mepham volleyed home expertly after more good football from the visitors, one wondererd if the wheels were coming off for The Park. HT 0-2.
When Bone added a third with about half an hour left, it looked all over but the whooping celebrations were soon silenced as Park rallied to score three goals in seven minutes, one a penalty, to level things up. Frimley rallied themselves and should have retaken the lead but the real momentum was with the home side and they found a winner and saw out the game expertly.
Both sides put on a fine show; the visitors look like title challengers next season and were the best Frimley side I have seen for quite a while. Park, although champions elect (it would appear) can only wonder how they would fare in the premier division as the FA ground grading nonsense will probably demote them! Well done both clubs on a truly entertaining and pleasant day.

Non League Paper Article Here -

The 2019/20 Colliers Wood United FC Website

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2018, 11:12 AM

Posts: 711
Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #46 of 94 (4658 views)
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was another at the WSM v Workington FA Trophy game. Great report by Tabby so I'll just add a few extras.

There was quite a bit of niggle between the boards of both clubs over the arrangements for the tie. WSM wanted the tie to be completed on the day with extra time and penalties if required. Workington refused this. WSM then tried to persuade Workington not to have an overnight stopover on the previous day. Workington made a request to the FA to stay further than 30 miles from the ground due to travelling down the M6 on a Friday evening. WSM had to agree to this but refused. Finally WSM sent the appropriate number of complimentary tickets to Workington but did not put a stamp on the envelope. So they had to be collected from the local post office. I don't think either club will be exchanging Christmas cards in the future.

This was my first visit to WSM and I didn't know much about the club. Everything just seemed a bit indifferent. Are they I club that puts all their budget into the playing budget? They do have some decent players. I can't say the place is unfriendly but it isn't friendly.

Food and drink is exspensive. £1.30 for a can of Pepsi and £4.50 for cheeseburger. To be fare the burger wasn't bad but a bit pink in the middle. Programmes ran out about 25 minutes before kick off which left a lot of people missing out. It was a poor effort. Supposedly 75 printed.

Finally one of their elderly supporters complained to us that the Workington supporters were a disgrace. He claimed he was a referee in the old Southern League. His parting guft was "At least we've never gone bankrupt and we've got more history than you. Well done !!!

Sad that the WSM manager and his assistant were whinging about the referee especially in the last 20 minutes and confronted him at the end of the game. I thought he had a decent game and he wasn't responsible for their second half performance.

First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 11:36 AM

Posts: 1487
Location: Beside the Spinnaker Tower
Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #47 of 94 (4601 views)
Re: [Workington FC] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Marlow 3-0 Moneyfields (Southern League, Division 1 East)
- played at the Alfred Davis Memorial, Oak Tree Road, Marlow from 3.0pm

Att – 100 official (didn’t count myself); Entry £9.50 incl programme (nice publication); I took no refreshment this day
Weather – still, overcast, with a slight nip in the air
Travel – A3, M25, A4 and A404M .. back via M40, M25 and A3 .. in one hour plus
Colours – Blues in all blue .. Moneys in yellow tops and dark blue shorts

A simple day out to see my sister, who lives just south of the River .. so after lunch and a chat, what better way than to spend an afternoon taking in one those iconic grandstands of the Non-League (chose not to sit in it .. just admire) .. which was set amongst a variety of timber building’s, offering everything a football supporter could want .. with plenty of parking out front amongst the advertised car wash facilities .. plenty of covered terracing to side and far end .. and majestic old floodlight pylons, save for one modern replaced type opposite the main stand .. our teams emerging from a changing block adjacent the main turnstile, where fluorescent jackets marshalled the gates, to allow the walk from corner flag to halfway and traditional handshakes.

Now this game had been picked to not only allow a new ground but to allow assessment of the "home" Step 4 team, to see how things were progressing during their first season at this level .. on reflection I guess they will not be asking me to check out again in the near future .. for whilst the Money’s came and played some good entertaining attacking football .. Marlow had decided to set up as though they were playing away, with four across the back and two holding midfielders set up in front .. quietly saying to the visitors .. there is no way through our defence this day .. which was all very well marshalled by a keeper who never stopped talking .. and a Money’s side who just couldn’t find that final pass to unlock the defence .. not even with the Ref helping and a fair few advantages given their way during the first half .. much to the disbelief of the home support .. who volleyed many a comment out to the officials and mocked anything given their way.

For me the Blues somehow got this game tactically right and picked off their counters with three clinical goals .. the first with a pass over the top beating the offside and continuous high defensive line .. allowing a one on one to see ball placed into right side on 33 .. then in the second half, play down the right released a quick pass behind defender to allow forward latch on to ball and round keeper to slot home on 69 .. leaving the last goal to come from another swift attack down the left, seeing ball crossed and head found, to rifle ball into back of net from close range on 81, thus wrapping up this afternoon’s affair .. which must of delighted the Marlow coaching staff .. and left the Money’s totally bemused as to “what happened there” .. which subject to weather .. may well be added to when they retrace their tracks up to Beaconsfield on Monday night and have every opportunity to correct things in Buckinghamshire .. but somehow I think they may find that one even tougher, as they gain more experience in the Southern League.

Grounds = 614, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 72; New Grounds (19/20) = 58; Goals (19/20) = 321; Ave goals/game = 4.46; Last new ground = Tilbury FC; Next = Mon 19th Oct 2019

(This post was edited by hemelhopper on Jan 14, 2018, 11:58 AM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2018, 11:59 AM

Posts: 4454
Location: Flintshire
Team(s): Bradford City

Post #48 of 94 (4517 views)
Re: [hemelhopper] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wythenshawe Amateurs 4-0 Dukinfield Town
Manchester League Premier Division
Admission by bucket collection in 2nd half
Att: 117 (Ams Twitter)

Ams have finally got themselves a proper football ground. After sharing with cricket, then using a school cage, they've developed a piece of land in Hollyhedge Park. It's pretty basic at the moment, but perfectly adequate for Step 7, and with room for necessary improvements. They've applied to the NWCL for next season, but they've a fair bit of work to do off the pitch.

The pitch is fully railed, with concrete hard standing all round, and surrounded by a tall green mesh fence. There is an impressive clubhouse behind one goal, with a patio area in front. They'll need some cover and lights, and as it stands it's possible to watch through the fence. They know what they need to do, and they've acquired a supporter base that would make them competitive a level or two higher.

I saw Ams play at their temporary cage last season, and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had a match, which was down to the behaviour of both teams and their respective coaching staff. This was far more enjoyable. There was still the occasional bit of unnecessary backchat (natch - it is the Manc League after all), but the ref controlled the game very well and Ams played some very good football.

They took the lead with a splendid individual goal midway through the first half. Dukinfield were no pushovers, and took the game to the hosts early in the 2nd half, producing some good chances. If any of them had been taken it might have produced a different outcome, but Ams scored a cracking free kick just after the hour which gave them some breathing space. A pinpoint right wing cross led to a 3rd with 12 to go, and they wrapped it up in stoppage time. Avro will probably win the league, but Ams should push them all the way. Both clubs could well be in the expanded NWCL next season.

First Team Star

Jan 14, 2018, 12:23 PM

Posts: 2887
Location: Southport. Southportshire, Republic of Southport
Team(s): Southport

Post #49 of 94 (4434 views)
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Garston 2-1 British Rail
Roy Wade Trophy QF

A bit of an upset in this quarter final of the league cup for the Liverpool County Premier's second tier. British Rail entered the game unbeaten and top of the table whilst their hosts are down towards the bottom. An earlier meeting in the league finished 5-1 to BR.

The key was South Garston taking advantage of a couple of errors by the visiting keeper. Early on he ran out to close down an onrushing forward, but misjudged it and could only watch as the forward jinked past him and shot into the open goal. About twenty minutes later he attempted to kick the ball upfield but sent it spinning over his own head and didn't react faster than the opposition. Meanwhile his counterpart pulled off some good saves at the other end. British Rail scored on their first attack of the second half and then created loads of pressure and chances, but just couldn't score.

South Garston play at Little Heath Playing Fields, within a couple of hundred metres of Liverpool Airport (it's a different ground to the one used by Speke). Not a lot there - just a couple of pitches and some shipping containers used for changing rooms. The other pitch was being used for a match in the Old Boys League, most notable for one side having a one armed defender.

Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2018, 12:29 PM

Posts: 675
Location: Cambridgeshire
Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #50 of 94 (4420 views)
Re: [stingray] Saturday 13th January 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
South Midlands Premier

Also here. A late decision to come as the wife requested a trip to what was left of MK shopping centre sales. My first visit here, with a very smooth journey along the A5 in both directions, despite the franchise having a home game. Plenty of room in the good sized car park at the ground when I arrived, don't think it actually filled for the game. The supermarket opposite seems a good back up (3 hours max) if necessary.

Town certainly dominated the first half, but left it quite late to score their two goals, a third being disallowed. Tigers had a man red carded also, maybe a little harshly although my view of the second yellow for hand ball was blocked by other players.
Thought Tigers had a good second half and scored the goal of the game, before succumbing to the late brace from Town.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3